Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 10:25 AM

11 posts, read 23,428 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a safe activity for an out of town guest. I would like a recommendation for a drive, preferably in the Fox Chapel, North Hills area, that includes impressive views of mansions, large homes. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 11:51 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
North and South Drive (Fox Chapel Manor), Squaw Run East, Haverford, Fairview out around Fox Chapel Road. Field Club around near the FC Borough Building heading down towards Squaw Run. "The Enclave" out by Guys Run.

These are a few off the top of my head. Many can't be seen from the road, but the ones I mentioned can here and there. Sewickley Heights is a blast to drive around. I can come up with many roads there as well. I would stick to FC and Sewickley Heights if you ask me. The north hills is mostly newer and more boring, but I like older and cool architecture. I probably could come up with some really interesting homes to see, but gotta get some yard work done before it gets too hot. lol

Old 08-10-2020, 12:35 PM

755 posts, read 471,763 times
We got lost in Bell Acres and Sewickley Heights one day out for a drive (cannot tell you what roads we were on specifically).

We were gobsmacked for about a half hour. I didn't think homes like that existed in Pittsburgh. Checkout that area. Seems like they are easier to see than in Fox Chapel where they appear to have been built earlier and are obscured by mature trees and undergrowth.

Absolute funniest thing was there were exactly 4 different makes of cars we passed driving those roads: Porsche (Cayenne mostly), Land Rover, Mercedes and BMW.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:26 PM

882 posts, read 335,125 times
Like this one at 137 Beech Ridge Dr

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...!4d-80.1605634

https://popularpittsburgh.com/pittsb...largest-house/

Quote:
The Frick Mansion, Clayton; The Bayernhof; and Millionaire’s Row—Pittsburgh has seen its share of mansions, but it has never seen the likes of the 34-room Bell Acres mansion built by businessman Joseph Nocito Sr., the former CEO and President of Automated Health Systems Inc. The Pittsburgh-based company administered public health programs for state and local government, and Nocito was indicted in 2018 by a federal Grand Jury on charges of conspiracy and filing fraudulent income tax returns.
Whether Nocito is found guilty or not remains to be seen, but what we can be sure about is that this house is the biggest in Pennsylvania at 39,000 square feet. The three-story mansion has 12 bedrooms, 13 bathrooms, eight half baths, and 22 fireplaces. On the expansive grounds outside the massive stone home are fountains and gardens, a swimming pool, basketball court and tennis court. Experts value the home at $20 million.
The estate is so large, passengers flying in and out of Pittsburgh have noted its size. Although the U.S. Attorney’s Office won’t confirm it, it has been reported that federal agents flying over “Villa Noci” were so amazed by the size of the property that they began investigating and that led to the launching of the federal investigation into Nocito’s financial dealings and his indictment.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:49 PM
gg

Okay, so when you go up Fox Chapel Road, take a right on Hillcrest. You will see a really cool tudor and then take a right when you can and you will see an interesting contemporary that was way ahead of it's time.

When you are done with FC Manor, continue on FC road past FC CC and up on the right you will see Ginassi's home that is pretty ridiculous. I would take a left there however because you will see on Squaw Run East a bunch of nice homes on your right. If you see on older tudor it would be Rocky Blier's old home, but he moved.

Sewickley is a blast to drive around. Go up Blackburn. Don't miss Fair Acres. Oh there are so many great roads around there. Forget the North Hills and just do FC and Sewickley Heights. Scaife, Pink House if you can get in there, CC Lane, Persimmon, Backbone and more. I love driving around there. Great area!

Old 08-10-2020, 11:07 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Central Northside - Mexican War Streets - for its Baltimore-like proud row homes, Shadyside, of course and Point Breeze behind the Frick Mansion has a couple of streets replete with stunning Tudor/Cotswold cottages. Get out and walk or on a bike to take them in properly.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:59 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Central Northside - Mexican War Streets - for its Baltimore-like proud row homes, Shadyside, of course and Point Breeze behind the Frick Mansion has a couple of streets replete with stunning Tudor/Cotswold cottages. Get out and walk or on a bike to take them in properly.
This doesn't sound relaxing at all.

Stick to Fox Chapel and Sewickley Heights.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:59 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Walk Mexican War Streets.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:03 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Ivan, maybe you'd try Pembroke Place and Westminster Place, both between St. James Street and Amberson Avenue, and also Amberson Avenue, between Westminster Place and Ellsworth Avenue.

Also, the north side of Fifth Avenue between Wilkins Avenue and Morewood Street, but this is better enjoyed on foot, and probably not at all in a car.

All of this is in Shadyside, and not at all near your preferred locales. But let us know what your guest was treated to. Hope you both have fun!

Old 08-12-2020, 12:19 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Check out West Allegheny, do it on foot, get yourself an icy ball at Gus and Yaya's after. Sewickley is nice too and right up the road. Mexican War streets as mentioned and the lower south western corner of Manchester has stunning old homes that residents have kept up.

Manchester:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4523...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4529...7i16384!8i8192

West Allegheny near CCAC campus, CCAC's (Community College of Allegheny County) campus is full of repurposed mansions, a definite must see.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...!4d-80.0168168

Last edited by norcider; 08-12-2020 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh