Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 11:19 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPittsburgh View Post
The weather alone is absolutely soul draining. Horrible is an understatement.
Have you ever been to New England? I fail to see how moving from there to here would be a difficult transition with the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 11:21 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We've gone from paying $1,000/month to rent a 1-BR home with no off-street parking in a "meh" neighborhood to now paying $401/month to OWN a 2-BR home with a slightly larger square footage and off-street parking in a "meh" neighborhood.

Being that I just started following Dave Ramsey it makes perfect sense that I can now power through paying down all of my other debts (looking at you, student loans!) with the housing cost savings and eventually work to pay off the mortgage in under a decade, too.

Then we can continue to live comfortably on our lower-middle-class hourly wages (I earn $16/hr. and my fiance earns $13/hr.). If you're going to be a barista probably making <$15/hr., then you can live comfortably here if you buy a solid older 2-BR home in the city that might need a bit of TLC but isn't a functional wreck.

We've been surprisingly delighted by our new neighborhood. People told us we were moving to "the hood", but that has yet to be our experience here. We feel blessed to be saving so much money over the "suckers" who are paying several times as much for a monthly mortgage on a slightly nicer/bigger home in a "trendy" neighborhood like Polish Hill that quite honestly doesn't offer much beyond what our new neighborhood has to offer. I've been sleeping better (as evidenced by my FitBit) since moving to the new neighborhood because it's QUIETER at night.
SCR, I'm happy to see you're liking your new area. I sometimes take the 16 to work, so I'm a little familiar with where you are, and it's far from the worst of Pittsburgh. When I moved to Bellevue myself, I kind of did feel like the people spending double what I'm paying are suckers back in Lawrenceville too

Last edited by bradjl2009; 04-23-2020 at 11:34 AM..

Old 04-23-2020, 11:42 AM

62 posts, read 33,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Pittsburgh is a very good city to dwell within if you want to earn a modest income and still live below your means as long as you intend to purchase a home.

As I said earlier your mortgage on a 2-BR or 3-BR house can often times be 1/2 or even 1/3 as much as the rent on a 1-BR apartment because our city has a rental supply shortage.

We've gone from paying $1,000/month to rent a 1-BR home with no off-street parking in a "meh" neighborhood to now paying $401/month to OWN a 2-BR home with a slightly larger square footage and off-street parking in a "meh" neighborhood.

Being that I just started following Dave Ramsey it makes perfect sense that I can now power through paying down all of my other debts (looking at you, student loans!) with the housing cost savings and eventually work to pay off the mortgage in under a decade, too.

Then we can continue to live comfortably on our lower-middle-class hourly wages (I earn $16/hr. and my fiance earns $13/hr.). If you're going to be a barista probably making <$15/hr., then you can live comfortably here if you buy a solid older 2-BR home in the city that might need a bit of TLC but isn't a functional wreck.

Pittsburgh's population is continuing to decline based upon a combination of a large elderly population that is still dying off; a low birth rate; low international immigration; and some people moving away partially due to the poor weather here. This is why our housing prices remain affordable. If the city ever "booms" our affordability will also go away.

As far as a neighborhood like Spring Garden or Marshall-Shadeland is concerned? These are two typical working-class/lower-middle-class Pittsburgh nabes that are largely inhabited by Pittsburgh natives. The housing stock is generally poor, hence the low housing prices. There's crime, but it's rarely random in nature.

We've been surprisingly delighted by our new neighborhood. People told us we were moving to "the hood", but that has yet to be our experience here. We feel blessed to be saving so much money over the "suckers" who are paying several times as much for a monthly mortgage on a slightly nicer/bigger home in a "trendy" neighborhood like Polish Hill that quite honestly doesn't offer much beyond what our new neighborhood has to offer. I've been sleeping better (as evidenced by my FitBit) since moving to the new neighborhood because it's QUIETER at night.
That's great you were able to buy a home! Congrats! Your mortgage isn't much. My condo fee here is more than your mortgage (talk about burdensome!), and I own the place outright. And my electric bill averages about half of your mortgage, even though I keep my heat on 62, because we have the highest electricity rates in the nation. These are just two reasons I need to get out of this high COL region.

What is Marshall-Shadeland like? Is it walkable, safe, affordable, mostly working people? The houses currently for sale in Spring Garden and Troy Hill are, while definitely far from expensive, certainly not cheap. I actually was surprised based on what people have told me about Pittsburgh's affordability. I was told by a few people I know, including my old college friend Rob in Shadyside, and I have also read, that one can buy a decent home in Pittsburgh for $100,000. The ones listed right now don't really appeal to me. Not much character in them. (Maybe if they were more original).

I've been thinking about moving to Pittsburgh since 2018, but never did go for it because I was waiting for my condo to appreciate a little, which it never did because our market and indeed, our whole economy is very sluggish. Seems like your market has done well there.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:35 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforachangeSWCT View Post
What is Marshall-Shadeland like? Is it walkable, safe, affordable, mostly working people?
I'll let SCR say more, but Marshall Shadeland is a bit different than Spring Garden as it's more of a racially diverse neighborhood - about equally split between black and white people - rather than overwhelmingly working-class white. In the 15 years I've lived here it hasn't really changed much, for better or worse.

Quote:
The houses currently for sale in Spring Garden and Troy Hill are, while definitely far from expensive, certainly not cheap.
You said you were looking for a home from $100-$150k, so that's what I was trying to find for you. Inhabitable homes for under $50k are almost gone from the market now, but you can find some still between that and $100K.

Quote:
I actually was surprised based on what people have told me about Pittsburgh's affordability. I was told by a few people I know, including my old college friend Rob in Shadyside, and I have also read, that one can buy a decent home in Pittsburgh for $100,000. The ones listed right now don't really appeal to me. Not much character in them. (Maybe if they were more original).
Lots of people everywhere are pulling houses due to COVID-19, so you cant judge based upon what's on the market now. Looking over sold houses recently finds more examples. For example, I think this, this, or this might be more to your liking.

But yeah, back in 2007 I bought a habitable home in Lawrenceville for $53,000. Those days are done.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:44 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
Don't mean to jump on this thread saw you are a CT Native

Thinking of moving to the Burgh as well from CT

Feel be so strange to be so far away from the ocean

Old 04-23-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'll let SCR say more, but Marshall Shadeland is a bit different than Spring Garden as it's more of a racially diverse neighborhood - about equally split between black and white people - rather than overwhelmingly working-class white. In the 15 years I've lived here it hasn't really changed much, for better or worse.

You said you were looking for a home from $100-$150k, so that's what I was trying to find for you. Inhabitable homes for under $50k are almost gone from the market now, but you can find some still between that and $100K.

Lots of people everywhere are pulling houses due to COVID-19, so you cant judge based upon what's on the market now. Looking over sold houses recently finds more examples. For example, I think this, this, or this might be more to your liking.

But yeah, back in 2007 I bought a habitable home in Lawrenceville for $53,000. Those days are done.
Oh, I'm quite aware of how Covid has affected the real estate market, here and in Pittsburgh. I'm not listing or moving until this is all over. My agent here and I agreed it would be futile now anyway, as well as far too risky to my own health. I want to say, since I'm in the heart of this, do not listen to the Republicans and conservatives playing this down as something minor. This is very serious. We are losing a lot of people near me -- six friends and acquaintances have it, and two have died, including one wonderful, healthy 52 year old lady.

The rowhouse and Foursquare look great, and the prices are very good for the size of the homes. I dont like Craftsman style, really. That rowhouse is pretty big actually (2500 sf). I think the taxes listed on zillow have to be wrong. They can't be $300 for that nice Foursquare. I'd be happy in either home depending on which neighborhood I preferred. The rowhouse listing is in Manchester. What is that neighborhood like?

Old 04-23-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Don't mean to jump on this thread saw you are a CT Native

Thinking of moving to the Burgh as well from CT

Feel be so strange to be so far away from the ocean
Hey, join the crowd!

Old 04-23-2020, 01:16 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,544 times
I live near Marshall-Shadeland. It's a small neighborhood in Pittsburgh's North Side that's seen better days. However, it's super close to Downtown Pittsburgh, has access to all of the major arteries and bike/bus routes and as SCR said it's relatively quiet.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:29 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,461,239 times
Quote:

The rowhouse and Foursquare look great, and the prices are very good for the size of the homes. I dont like Craftsman style, really. That rowhouse is pretty big actually (2500 sf). I think the taxes listed on zillow have to be wrong. They can't be $300 for that nice Foursquare. I'd be happy in either home depending on which neighborhood I preferred. The rowhouse listing is in Manchester. What is that neighborhood like?
keep in mind that house at 1420 N Franklin didn't actually sell for that price. It was listed FSBO at 399k ( id assume the renovation was more than what the public records show it selling for) and the owner was an LLC which transferred the property to another LLC with a very similar name (3e capital llc to 3e R/E llc, clearly the same person or group). This happens for tax reasons on occasion or quite honestly a number of different reasons.

the taxes are 2797 total/ year. Reassessments are unpredictable, but if you do get hit to purchase price, you can typically get it down to about 80-85% at an arbitration appeal. You asked before about different neighborhood taxes. If within the city limits, the taxes are all the same. municipalities outside the city will all vary based on the school taxes and municipal tax rates.

basically I'm just pointing out that its not a realistic picture to think you will find a home of that quality and location for mid 100's. Fair market of that home is probably more like 325k if listed on the open market.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:45 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
keep in mind that house at 1420 N Franklin didn't actually sell for that price. It was listed FSBO at 399k ( id assume the renovation was more than what the public records show it selling for) and the owner was an LLC which transferred the property to another LLC with a very similar name (3e capital llc to 3e R/E llc, clearly the same person or group). This happens for tax reasons on occasion or quite honestly a number of different reasons.

the taxes are 2797 total/ year. Reassessments are unpredictable, but if you do get hit to purchase price, you can typically get it down to about 80-85% at an arbitration appeal. You asked before about different neighborhood taxes. If within the city limits, the taxes are all the same. municipalities outside the city will all vary based on the school taxes and municipal tax rates.

basically I'm just pointing out that its not a realistic picture to think you will find a home of that quality and location for mid 100's. Fair market of that home is probably more like 325k if listed on the open market.
Dang. The price looked a bit low to me, but N Franklin is still one of the more transitional streets in Manchester, so I thought it might have been for real.

I remember when nice historic rowhouses actually sold at that price in northern Manchester. I guess those days are long gone though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh