Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 07:28 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandguy88 View Post
I moved to Cleveland heights from Akron about two years ago as well. I live in between the Coventry and cedar fairmount area.
Yes, I think you'll find Bellevue and even Dormont to have a bit of a different vibe than where you're living in CH. Dormont is probably a closer match than Bellevue.

Quote:
I really like Cleveland heights, however, I’d get stuck in the ‘heights’ bubble where I hardely ever left my side of the city and ended up burnt out on the area. I toured a place in dormont and Bellevue today. I left more impressed with the dormont apartment, though Bellevue did seem nice.
The bubbles exist in Pittsburgh too. North Hills, South Hills, East End...just something to keep in mind.

I think for a new comer, the South Hills can be especially confining due to the topography, tunnels, and lay out of the roads. Most of my in-laws live there and seldom leave the area besides going downtown for work.

Bellevue has good connections to 65, 279, and easier access to the North Shore and Downtown IMO. I don't know that it's a big enough difference to choose a worse apartment over it, though.

Quote:
How do you like Cleveland compared to Pittsburgh?
Both have their pros and cons. We moved right around the time my son was born, so it can be tricky to parse out what's actually different between the two metros vs. what's different simply due to us being in a new stage of life.

Is there something specific you're wondering about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 08:00 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,935 times
Yeah I didnt grow up here but I did visit very often with family here. Bubbles exist, some people tend to think a bridge or tunnel is a line that can't be crossed. Enjoy the area and drive around, even if you are in Dormont I'd take a drive to North Park w/ the pup sometime. Great to walk around or goto the dog park. Glad you came to look. Dormont and Bellevue are pretty different, nothing bad about either just different. I like Bellevue more but I dont care for the more urban feel of Dormont or the increased traffic. I grew up a suburbanite. Welcome!

Old 08-29-2019, 08:58 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,957 times
You could take the T to work and exit at either the First Ave or Steel Plaza stations, they're both the same distance to Mercy according to online maps. About 0.8 mile walking distance, so probably about a 15 minute walk. A new BRT system is planned to be integrated into some of the downtown T stations within a few years. The BRT will go to Oakland via Uptown, so you might be able to do a quick and easy transfer to the new BRT line at that time, and it will probably have a station/stop right near Mercy.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:09 PM

31 posts, read 22,437 times
Hi everyone! Just wanted to give an update. After making up my mind on Bellevue I happened to see a listing for an apartment in Dormont. I went and saw it and really liked the area, plus it’s cheaper than the apartments I saw in Bellevue. I ended up applying for the Dormont apartment and got approved! So looks like I will moving to the Dormont area ��

Now important questions that I could google but decided to ask here since everyone has been so helpful....

1.) electric suppliers. Who is it in Pittsburgh? Would like to set this up ASAP once I get my keys.

2.) same with gas suppliers.

3.) internet provides? Is xfinity the best option? In Cleveland we don’t have xfinity so no experience with them. (Btw I will only need internet - no cable)

Thanks!!!!

Old 08-29-2019, 09:37 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,935 times
Someone in/near can probably respond on utilities. I will say I have had Comcast/Xfinity and also FIOS, no real difference in quality/service so I'd just go with whoever has the best deal. I've swapped back and forth. You might have deposits for utilities, not sure as I set mine up 12 years ago. Bellevue it is Duquesne Light and Columbia Gas.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:46 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandguy88 View Post
Hi everyone! Just wanted to give an update. After making up my mind on Bellevue I happened to see a listing for an apartment in Dormont. I went and saw it and really liked the area, plus it’s cheaper than the apartments I saw in Bellevue. I ended up applying for the Dormont apartment and got approved! So looks like I will moving to the Dormont area ��

Now important questions that I could google but decided to ask here since everyone has been so helpful....

1.) electric suppliers. Who is it in Pittsburgh? Would like to set this up ASAP once I get my keys.

2.) same with gas suppliers.

3.) internet provides? Is xfinity the best option? In Cleveland we don’t have xfinity so no experience with them. (Btw I will only need internet - no cable)

Thanks!!!!
Im right next door in Brookline so I would assume it would be the same as Dormont.

Gas is Peoples Gas, Electricity is Duquesne Light, and I use Verizon Fios for my internet. $60 a month, since I dont have cable and use my own equipment. Ive bounced around between Comcast and Verizon, seeing no real difference, but have just stuck with Verizon since I cut the cord.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:04 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
I've also bounced back and forth between Comcast (XFinity) and Verizon (FiOS) and can't really recommend one over the other. It just depends upon which company is running what type of promotion at what time. Customer service? I've had good and bad experiences with both.

I also have People's Gas and Duquesne Light and have been pleased with both. Dormont is serviced by Pennsylvania American Water, and I've heard that supplier/company is superior to PWSA, which services most of the city and a few suburbs.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:26 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I've also bounced back and forth between Comcast (XFinity) and Verizon (FiOS) and can't really recommend one over the other. It just depends upon which company is running what type of promotion at what time. Customer service? I've had good and bad experiences with both.

I also have People's Gas and Duquesne Light and have been pleased with both. Dormont is serviced by Pennsylvania American Water, and I've heard that supplier/company is superior to PWSA, which services most of the city and a few suburbs.
I have PennAmerican water, which is not the norm for most city neighborhoods. I have to say I wish I had PWSA, as they have an active lead line replacement plan, but PennAmerican is not being as aggressive. I am also sick of Pittsburgh bragging that it will be lead line free in X number of years, because it wont be. PWSA may be lead line free, but Pittsburgh as a whole wont be. No one is ensuring that city residents who have PennAmerican don't have lead lines. I know it is a strange set up with city residents using a different company, but it puts us in limbo of having no one actively speaking up for us. It's infuriating at this point as I do not get much response out of the city when I ask about this.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:42 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I have PennAmerican water, which is not the norm for most city neighborhoods. I have to say I wish I had PWSA, as they have an active lead line replacement plan, but PennAmerican is not being as aggressive. I am also sick of Pittsburgh bragging that it will be lead line free in X number of years, because it wont be. PWSA may be lead line free, but Pittsburgh as a whole wont be. No one is ensuring that city residents who have PennAmerican don't have lead lines. I know it is a strange set up with city residents using a different company, but it puts us in limbo of having no one actively speaking up for us. It's infuriating at this point as I do not get much response out of the city when I ask about this.
I don't know if it's the same for Brookline, but in Beechview water service is Penn American and sewer is PWSA--it's two separate bills. I have Duquesne Light, Columbia Gas, and Verizon FIOS.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:23 PM

31 posts, read 22,437 times
Hey everyone, just wanted to let everyone know I officially moved to Pittsburgh today! I found a spot in Dormomt which is reasonably priced. Thanks again for all the advice and info, much appreciated and very helpful. Although I’m nervous to be in a new city with a new job I’m excited to explore the city more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh