Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 PM

10 posts, read 21,927 times

Advertisements

So, I just got accepted for a summer program at the University of Pittsburgh for this summer (it starts at the end of next month). I am originally from Erie, so the whole "commuting from home" thing is pretty much out of the question (and I don't drive). I am looking for a CHEAP apartment close-by. I don't care what the neighborhood is like since I am getting desperate. All I know is that it has to be cheap (around $300 a month...or am I getting my hopes up?), and it needs to be closer to the campus, or at least nearby and on a bus route. Can anybody help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 12:59 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Two thoughts:

You might be able to get a summer sublet in Oakland or another popular student neighborhood for around that price, if you are willing to take a room in a multi-room apartment.

For an entire apartment, you could try to find something in Polish Hill, which is the least expensive neighborhood near Oakland that I would recommend.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:06 PM

353 posts, read 826,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyogasuki View Post
So, I just got accepted for a summer program at the University of Pittsburgh for this summer (it starts at the end of next month). I am originally from Erie, so the whole "commuting from home" thing is pretty much out of the question (and I don't drive). I am looking for a CHEAP apartment close-by. I don't care what the neighborhood is like since I am getting desperate. All I know is that it has to be cheap (around $300 a month...or am I getting my hopes up?), and it needs to be closer to the campus, or at least nearby and on a bus route. Can anybody help me?
I'm sorry to say, I think you are getting your hopes up at $300/month. In order to find something near campus for that you are almost certainly going to have to sublet. I have a friend who rents on the Southside Slopes for around that much, but that's a bit of a drive, and I think he got pretty lucky.

Out of curiosity, did you go to school in Erie also? I went to Gannon.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:06 PM

299 posts, read 1,009,676 times
I would definitely look into subletting for the summer. It's probably your only real option for just a couple of months.

Check out the classifieds at The Pitt News.

And of course the failsafe pittsburgh sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:21 PM

356 posts, read 917,210 times
I agree a sublet is probably your best bet. The sources above are good. The Pitt housing office may also have a list. Remember, you may be able to bargain. The spring semester ends at the end of next week and my guess is that there are more students look to sublet (signed a year lease but don't plan to stay over the summer) than there are students/people trying to find sublets.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:24 PM

10 posts, read 21,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoulty View Post
I'm sorry to say, I think you are getting your hopes up at $300/month. In order to find something near campus for that you are almost certainly going to have to sublet. I have a friend who rents on the Southside Slopes for around that much, but that's a bit of a drive, and I think he got pretty lucky.

Out of curiosity, did you go to school in Erie also? I went to Gannon.
I'd be willing to take a bus, but I will be looking into sublet. I didn't go to college in Erie. All my friends are, but I was so determined to go to PITT that I did my freshman year at Univ. of Pitt at greensburg. I am still begging admissions at main campus to accept me early, though...it is seriously my dream, but I think the only way that would happen is if i found a friend who had connections there...

Old 04-16-2008, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 23,311 times
You should definitely try to sublet. There are plenty of students trying to make some extra cash by subletting their empty apartments in the summer. Your best bet is to go to craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums, go to the Pittsburgh page, and then look through the apartment sublets. Remember, you can always negotiate too!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 PM

353 posts, read 826,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyogasuki View Post
I'd be willing to take a bus, but I will be looking into sublet. I didn't go to college in Erie. All my friends are, but I was so determined to go to PITT that I did my freshman year at Univ. of Pitt at greensburg. I am still begging admissions at main campus to accept me early, though...it is seriously my dream, but I think the only way that would happen is if i found a friend who had connections there...
Well, that's cool.

Pitt was the only grad school I applied to. It was here or bust, I figured.

You weren't ever involved with Model UN by chance, were you?

Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,575,172 times
I think you will have trouble finding something that cheap... subletting a room in a multiroom apartment or house will be your best bet. Craigslist is a good source, but you probably knew that already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh