Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:45 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times

Advertisements

Rosslyn farms is both geographically small (0.56 square miles) and small in terms of population (424 residents spread over 194 homes). At its all time peak in population in 1970, it had only 608 residents. It's located in what could be termed the "Greater West End" portion of Allegheny County. It is technically a first ring suburb of Pittsburgh, by virtue of bordering East Carnegie, however, no surface roads actually cross the Chartiers Creek (just the west Busway) meaning you'd need a roundabout journey through Robinson Township or Carnegie to get there.

Virtually no information about Rosslyn Farms's history is available online. It was founded in 1902 by the Chartiers Land Company. By 1920, the borough had 315 residents. There were two later population "booms" in the 1930s and 1950s, at which point the municipality was essentially built out.

Although a very small borough, there are three notable sub-areas of development. The first, near the border with Carnegie, is an exclusively industrial zone which is initially somewhat surprising given the borough's semi-tony reputation. This is downhill from the residential neighborhoods, and you can't even get here without exiting the borough and entering Carnegie, Next is the early 20th century core of the borough, including a small, gridded area that features a public tennis court. The furthest west portions of the borough are low density mid-century style suburban homes.

Rosslyn Farms, like neighboring Thornburg, is significantly wealthier than the surrounding areas - even newer-construction suburbia to the west, with median family income of over $150,000. Though the houses in the area have some charm, they are relatively modest, as is Carlynton SD (which is shared with Crafton and Carnegie). I am guessing, in absence of detailed information about Rossyln Farms online, that much of the cache comes from a long-term historic association with wealth - sort of a smaller-scale Fox Chapel or Sewickley for the West End.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 09:12 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,310,425 times
Interesting. I never heard of this suburb although I didn't grow up in the area. I guess it makes sense this would come after Ross Township! I always wonder what suburb is coming next.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:21 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times
My father had a friend that used to live there. I think part of the attraction for some people is the proximity to Chartiers Country Club.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:45 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,491 times
My co-worker used to live in Rosslyn Farms. A lot of mid century modern houses in the Burrough compared with its size and pretty much all architect developed and built. Very private and cozy little hilltop community.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:48 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Easy access to RF if heading towards the airport. Coming from the airport, a little tougher. Take the Crnagee Exit and do aloop n then head back to the airport, n'at.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:52 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,391 times
Roslyn Farms and Thornburg are nearly identical in wealth and housing stock based on my numerous times driving through. They should connect the little gap along Chartiers Creek and be done with it.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:17 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,656 times
Rosslyn Farms is the "lyn" in the Carlynton School District that also includes Carnegie and Crafton.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:45 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Rosslyn Farms is the "lyn" in the Carlynton School District that also includes Carnegie and Crafton.
Seems Thornburg has a better school district. Correct?

Old 05-21-2018, 09:36 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,732 times
We actually showed several homes there last fall, it is a very nice hidden community with alot of special community extras you dont find much anymore. Most homes were unique which I like, hate seeing the same house repeated, one of the worst things about living in Florida. Great location to get around too.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:18 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Seems Thornburg has a better school district. Correct?
Montour is considered the better of the two school districts, but many feel that Carlynton is underrated. I live in Crafton and literally all my neighbors with school age kids send them to Carlynton district public schools. My neighborhood is solidly middle class with the expectation that their kids will take AP classes and go on to college. They all seem quite satisfied with the education their children are getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh