Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 PM

222 posts, read 439,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I ran across a post on CD recently where a poster from Pittsburgh said that "Pittsburgh natives hate going to Ohio" and they prefer the East Coast so I decided to go to the source, which is you guys. Now, I'm from Cleveland and I never heard people from Cleveland disparage Pittsburgh to my knowledge. The only thing I've Cleveland people just talk trash about the Steelers, and I don't know if any people from Pittsburgh disparaged Cleveland. Is it true that most people from Pittsburgh hate Ohio?
I go to Ohio a lot. There's a restaurant in Youngstown that serves really good Puerto Rican food

Old 02-07-2018, 05:47 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRANGEL09 View Post
I go to Ohio a lot. There's a restaurant in Youngstown that serves really good Puerto Rican food
Please share the name!

OP, I grew up in Scranton, moved to Northern Virginia (near DC) for a couple of years, and then moved to Pittsburgh by choice because I found the people of Northern Virginia to be insufferably snobby and materialistic and had always admired Pittsburgh from afar. I've thrived in Pittsburgh overall and only plan to move if it's to care for my parents as they age and ail.

Since moving here I've taken MANY road trips into and around Ohio. I love the Buckeye State. Whenever I'm feeling depressed (most Sundays anymore it seems because I get anxiety about my stressful job on Monday) I love to hop in the car and cross a state line into either WV or OH because it feels like an "adventure" to me and perks me up.

I've become very familiar with the Mahoning Valley and love it---warts and all. I stumbled upon White House Fruit Farm in Canfield, OH by accident, but now I'm hooked! In Youngstown I also love Fellows Riverside Gardens (free) and the Butler Institute of American Art (free). Before Pittsburgh landed a Jamba Juice the closest one to us was on YSU's campus.

I also drive a few times per year to Stow, OH (suburban Akron) for Skyline Chili because they hate Pittsburgh and won't build a location closer to us. I've also become quite fond of Kent.

Cleveland and Cincinnati are both sorely underrated cities. I feel like Columbus is overrated (especially by eschaton's aforementioned resident "fly-by-night" troll who joins and then posts, essentially, "Columbus > Pittsburgh"). I've never been to Dayton, Toledo, or Canton but look forward to exploring them soon. I drove through Geneva-on-the-Lake and Ashtabula recently during a snowstorm and thought both were beautiful. I'm also considering taking a weekend trip to Marietta this year that will include some stops in/around the Hocking Hills.

I don't know of anyone locally who "hates" Ohio. I DO know many people---myself included---are offended when people say Pittsburgh is "the Midwest". No. We're not. If you want to be technical we're the southwesternmost major city in the Northeast. We're also the "Paris of Applachia". I can see a strong argument to be made for saying Weirton isn't the "South" than saying Pittsburgh isn't the "Northeast".

Old 02-07-2018, 06:41 AM

755 posts, read 472,266 times
SCR - thanks for the great E Ohio road trip tips! Added to my list.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:01 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Last time I was in Ohio was a trip to Cleveland in...2011 I think? We don't travel much because we don't get much vacation time. Actually wait, when driving to Louisville last summer to see my brother we stopped for lunch in Columbus on the way out and Cinci on the way back, but didn't really get to see either city.

I'd actually be willing to go more frequently, but my wife (who is a local Pittsburgher, not a transplant like me) really has no interest in going on "local vacations." Plus family-related travel pulls us eastward (most of my family is from the Philly area) very often.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:05 AM

595 posts, read 600,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Where are you from in Ohio?
Toledo.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:13 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Much of Pittsburgh has more in common with West Virginia than either the Midwest or Northeast, or rather a mixture of all three (not to start that debate)
West Virginia? Really? I would disagree with you 500%. Now you can make some geographic references in terms of Appalachia. But culture wise the 2 places could not be more different. It has been notated on many forums that Pittsburgh has more alliances and shades of an East Coast city than a Mid West. Its geographic location definitely makes a unique case, but WV is the LAST place I would relate Pittsburgh too.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:18 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
West Virginia? Really? I would disagree with you 500%. Now you can make some geographic references in terms of Appalachia. But culture wise the 2 places could not be more different. It has been notated on many forums that Pittsburgh has more alliances and shades of an East Coast city than a Mid West. Its geographic location definitely makes a unique case, but WV is the LAST place I would relate Pittsburgh too.
What do you see as the glaring differences? Wheeling is about an hour away from downtown Pittsburgh. The landscape is similar, both rust belt, Appalachian areas, similar blue collar roots, etc.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:28 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What do you see as the glaring differences? Wheeling is about an hour away from downtown Pittsburgh. The landscape is similar, both rust belt, Appalachian areas, similar blue collar roots, etc.
Yeah. It always seemed to me that the Northern Panhandle, Morgantown, and perhaps even the Ohio River area down to around Parkersburg were basically part of the same regional northern Appalachian culture as SWPA. Oddly, even though it's very close to Morgantown, Fairmont and Clarksburg both feel much more southern.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:45 AM

219 posts, read 157,616 times
As a native Ohioan (born and raised in Appalachian Ohio; educated in northeastern Ohio), I'd say that Pittsburgh and the surrounding area remind me of both Cleveland and the hills in which I was raised. As I used to tell my parents, Pittsburgh--in particular the Pittsburgh I moved to in the late nineties--is like moving the people I grew up around to a place with taller buildings and fewer trees. The accent isn't dissimilar to the local dialect I grew up hearing, either. :-) In terms of general culture and amenities, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are fairly interchangeable, although I will say that Cleveland's food scene is a bit better as is the Cleveland Orchestra in relation to the PSO. (Blossom also far surpasses the former Star Lake by a long shot on all counts--from the venue itself to the relatively easy traffic when coming and going to a show.) I still hold a great deal of affection in my heart for my home state and visit often as I have family and friends who live there, but I have few regrets about making Pittsburgh my adopted hometown.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Yeah, I thought "Huh?" when I saw that poster's reply. I was wondering how can Pittsburgh relate to West Virginia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh