Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,905,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Back in the mid 70's I lived in Forest Hills and worked in Oakland. I used to take the back way home through SH and on Tuesdays it was double feature night at the old Guild Theater on Murray Avenue.
I saw a movie at the Manor last night with a friend, and he was asking about the old Squirrel Hill movie theatres, and of course, I had to mention the Guild, where I saw practically everything those days, Cabaret, The Godfather, The French Connection, Fiddler on the Roof.

Quote:
One thing about SH, I don't think they ever had a hotspot bar. At least I never heard of one.
Who drank in that zip code in the early ‘70s? Pot and Quaaludes, those were the thing.

Quote:
Not far from there was Heads Together in the Underground Mall. They sold pipes and records n'at. Once a month they would have a Saturday Midnight sale, 3 records for 10 bucks. You can find it all at the Underground Mall.
I had a friend who worked at Heads Together, back when albums were 4 for $10 every day. It was owned by King Larry and Queen Charlene. There was a price war of sorts on albums then. Heads Together and Lou's (Forward Avenue) in Squirrel Hill, Flo's in Oakland (South Bouquet Street), and one in Shadyside, but I don't remember the name. The Listening Post on Walnut Street stayed full-service and full-price, but it was a much better record store, with a full back catalogue, something you never found at the cheapatoriums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
That place always reeked of patchouli to cover up the pot smell. To this day I associate patchouli with the East End.
So have I. Ever since the '70s, I associated the smell of patchouli with the platinum triangle formed by zip codes 15213, 15232, and 15217. It mainly reminds me of going to Pitt, though. There was a woman who worked in the registrar's who wore enough of it every day to stink up all three zip codes, plus every third hippie was wearing either it or musk oil. My friend Jane was so into musk oil, we called her "Queen Jane Muskproximately."

Last edited by jay5835; 01-28-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 10:17 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,562,923 times
Ah, the Listening Post, pretty cool store. I was never much for drugs and grass, strictly a fratboy beerkeg kinda guy. But, I do recall Quaaludes being popular.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:09 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,812,218 times
My son brought me for lunch to a crepe place in Squirrel Hill yesterday. Boy the area is fantastic. I loved all the little shops and trendy places to eat. If I wasn't moving, I would consider there.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:52 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,105,206 times
On SH hot spot bars; don't think it was ever "hot" but the Squirrel Hill Cafe (Cage) has been a long time standout destination. I was dismayed to see they removed the gigantic half circle mirror at some point in the last 15 years or so.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:09 PM

325 posts, read 323,534 times
Homes appreciate here more than almost anywhere in the city... and what’s better mineo’s or aiello’s will be a debate until the end of time

Old 02-03-2018, 03:31 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,606,456 times
Mineo's, but Aiello's new storefront looks very nice.

The Squirrel Cage's mirror is something I don't remember. I'm there often enough, but I'm not good at noticing things.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:44 PM

9,366 posts, read 13,028,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
Homes appreciate here more than almost anywhere in the city... and what’s better mineo’s or aiello’s will be a debate until the end of time
Mouthful of grease vs. mouthful of flour.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:19 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,062,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
... and what’s better mineo’s or aiello’s will be a debate until the end of time
i will never understand the lack of enthusiasm over the years, for Napoli's. It is my preferred over Mineo's (never a fan of them - never), and I haven't had Aiello's in ages. Napoli's pizza (OK, its been maybe 3 years since my last venture to that part of the Sq. Hill) has been perfect for my tastes.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:39 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,905,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i will never understand the lack of enthusiasm over the years, for Napoli's. It is my preferred over Mineo's (never a fan of them - never), and I haven't had Aiello's in ages. Napoli's pizza (OK, its been maybe 3 years since my last venture to that part of the Sq. Hill) has been perfect for my tastes.
Napoli is my favorite among the three, too. Mineo's is too oily, and Aiello's just isn't very good. But Napoli is a good, consistent slice place. Murray Avenue's best.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:38 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,165,512 times
I hesitate to wade into the pizza wars because I am not sure I am a connoisseur but I like Pastoli's. Has anyone elese tried them? I have never actually tried any of the big three (Mineo's, Aiello's, or Napoli).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh