Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:51 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times

Advertisements

As i recall when searching for a new place this year...which turned out to be a TOTAL disappointment....

ugh

Anyway..I had problems finding landlords that would rent to people that had cats. And I have to say I understand considering how some people dont take care of issues that can arise with cats such as spraying etc.

My cats are fine and dont do this (otherwise they would be living the farm life...lol) But are there any aparment finders etc in the city that can help you find Squirrel Hill Apts that rent to cat owners? I would even be open to Oakland Apts as long as they are not student dive roach motel type property.

I have to be looking in the wrong place or maybe Pittsburgh isnt a pet friendly city for renters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 11:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
My cats are fine and dont do this (otherwise they would be living the farm life...lol) But are there any aparment finders etc in the city that can help you find Squirrel Hill Apts that rent to cat owners? I would even be open to Oakland Apts as long as they are not student dive roach motel type property.
After reading your other posts, I'm a bit surprised you're still interested in renting apartments in Oakland and Squirrel Hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I have to be looking in the wrong place or maybe Pittsburgh isnt a pet friendly city for renters?
When I was a renter, I never bothered to ask. Cats are easy to hide because they don't bark. Now, dogs are another story entirely.

On a serious note, you can almost always encourage landlords to let you have pets if you pay an additional pet deposit in addition to the typical security deposit.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:43 PM

yeh...dormont is a suburb...had problems there...neighbor even had thier front door kicked in. i hate that home security commercial they show that has the jogger just run up and kick in the door....

dont have a car at the moment. i hope to get one..which god knows if that will get stolen...if i am able to get a car we are going to be back to some sort of suburb.

i have offered the pet deposit and i actually had one lady get a tone with me for even asking....another disappointment i am noticing..everyones so angry here....i would be be so depressed if i got evicted over my cats or worse if they took them to the pound.

i had being stuck by a crap economy in so many ways.
im not in a very good mood today..sorry for the whining...
ptsd/pms? lol
yeh..

Old 10-07-2007, 02:56 PM

457 posts, read 431,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When I was a renter, I never bothered to ask. Cats are easy to hide because they don't bark. Now, dogs are another story entirely.
I did that once too. All went well until the female kitten went into heat and started screaming and the older male cat developed a fondness for the front window.

The landlord found out in short order!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
I did that once too. All went well until the female kitten went into heat and started screaming and the older male cat developed a fondness for the front window.

The landlord found out in short order!
A similar thing happened to me in Illinois. Cats are not aseasy to hide as it may seem.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:01 AM

18 posts, read 60,114 times
We used to live in Squirrel Hill, in Morrowfield Apartments on Murray Ave. Atleast 3 of my neighbors on my floor owned cats. Infact, one neighbor would leave her cats in the hallway while she was home and I don't think the management really cared.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:34 AM

How was that building? I read on reviews there were heating problems.
Was it close to the highway so that noise was a problem? What was your reason for ending your lease if I may ask?

Old 10-22-2007, 08:48 AM

Hi pitt_transplant,
We bought a home and moved out of Morrowfield. Please don't consider this a plug for Morrowfield but I personally loved the building because of its location - most things you'll need is within walking distance. Murray ave is lined with great restaurants, cafes and stores and Forbes ave is a mere 15 min walk from the building. The bus stops right outside the building if you are going to be using public transport. We never had any problem with the heating - we had to call up 2-3 times to turn on the heat when it got really cold in fall but other than that heating wasn't really an issue. On the contrary, sometimes, they would set the temperature a bit too high in winter and we have had to call them to turn it down a bit. The super is a really friendly and helpful chap (the manager, not so much). The building mainly has grad students, medical residents and senior citizens. But I've seen some young professionals as well. It is very close to 376, as a matter of fact the building sits right on top of the squirrel hill tunnel. It can get noisy - it never bothered me though, and that's just me. Our apartment faced west and had a great view of downtown.

From what I've seen of my neighbors there, cat-owners are more than happy to feed your cats and take care of them if you are out of town provided you do the same for them when they are away.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need more information.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a quiet building. Traffic never bothers me. Unless its absolutely beyond loud. I sleep through the train the jiggles the building here. LOL.
How was the wall/floor insulation? Could you hear conversation or loud music/tv?

I am trying to find a well insulated building(for sound).

Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 PM

I never heard any music or conversation in my apartment, unless my neighbors were standing right outside my front door and talking. But then again, I'm not sure if it was because of the insulation or if my neighbors never played loud music But for the ambulance/ fire-engine sirens on Murray Ave, the building by itself is quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh