Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 02:09 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times

Advertisements

They've got a rail line from the airport to downtown Denver.

https://www.denver.org/about-denver/.../airport-rail/

So even in these times, it can be done. For one, it's $9 one-way. Worth it compared to other costs of travel, although they can take you to the place's door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 02:23 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
Yes, it can be done. Around 2010, the people of the Denver regional transit district voted to increase their sales tax to raise the more than $4 billion needed for the transit system. And now they have a pretty good system of bus, light rail and commuter rail.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:25 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
I have to say I am really impressed with Denver's investment in public transit this past decade. Most of Denver is very auto oriented, outside of Downtown Denver their are very few walkable areas. But to see them make these investments is just amazing.

Here are the problems with Pennsylvania.

1) We are an OLD state.

2) Our infrastructure is VERY OLD. Where Colorado is a relatively new state so its infrastructure is much less old. When you have SO MUCH old infrastructure like PA, a good percentage of your budget goes towards just maintenance.

3) We have ALOT of infrastructure. Pittsburgh alone has more bridges than any city in the world. And while we have 2 large cities, overall the state is large and has a sizeable population throughout. This means that we have ALOT OF ROADS to service these rural areas. PA has more miles of roads than NY and New England combined. That is why a project like I - 576 makes me puke in disgust. Spending $550 million on a 13 mile road, that is 100% not needed. Think that money could of went to a rail connection from the airport to Downtown.

4) I think alot of the funding for that Denver project came during the Obama era, which was giving money to big transit projects. That funding is all but gone now.

5) Pennsylvania is actually ranked #5/#6 in transit funding in the USA. Again our issue is that our transit systems are so old, that maintaining the systems is SOOO expensive.

With that it 100% would be in the state's best interest to creatively fund some transit investments in 1) Pittsburgh 2) SEPA (southeast PA) 3) Harrisburg 4) Allentown. With that let's pray Wolf stays in office next year. Or I guarantee the Republicans will absolutely gut state funding for transit to 'solve the budget'.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:33 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Just look at the wasteful Mon-Fayette Expressway and now Southern Beltway and it makes me sick the amount of money thrown away on 1950's logic.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I have to say I am really impressed with Denver's investment in public transit this past decade. Most of Denver is very auto oriented, outside of Downtown Denver their are very few walkable areas. But to see them make these investments is just amazing.

Here are the problems with Pennsylvania.

1) We are an OLD state.

2) Our infrastructure is VERY OLD. Where Colorado is a relatively new state so its infrastructure is much less old. When you have SO MUCH old infrastructure like PA, a good percentage of your budget goes towards just maintenance.

3) We have ALOT of infrastructure. Pittsburgh alone has more bridges than any city in the world. And while we have 2 large cities, overall the state is large and has a sizeable population throughout. This means that we have ALOT OF ROADS to service these rural areas. PA has more miles of roads than NY and New England combined. That is why a project like I - 576 makes me puke in disgust. Spending $550 million on a 13 mile road, that is 100% not needed. Think that money could of went to a rail connection from the airport to Downtown.

4) I think alot of the funding for that Denver project came during the Obama era, which was giving money to big transit projects. That funding is all but gone now.

5) Pennsylvania is actually ranked #5/#6 in transit funding in the USA. Again our issue is that our transit systems are so old, that maintaining the systems is SOOO expensive.

With that it 100% would be in the state's best interest to creatively fund some transit investments in 1) Pittsburgh 2) SEPA (southeast PA) 3) Harrisburg 4) Allentown. With that let's pray Wolf stays in office next year. Or I guarantee the Republicans will absolutely gut state funding for transit to 'solve the budget'.
The bold is untrue. In Denver, as in most of Colorado and most western states, virtually every area has sidewalks. Virtually all of the city is walkable, and most of the suburbs are as well.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:38 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
With that let's pray Wolf stays in office next year. Or I guarantee the Republicans will absolutely gut state funding for transit to 'solve the budget'.
Much of the transportation budget already goes to SEPTA, as does a lot of the new gasoline tax which PA is now the highest in the nation at $.58 per gallon. HIGHEST. All supposedly for road, and bridges but instead SEPTA gets a lot of it. Wolf is a JOKE.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:40 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The bold is untrue. In Denver, as in most of Colorado and most western states, virtually every area has sidewalks. Virtually all of the city is walkable, and most of the suburbs are as well.
I have no idea if Denver is walkable or not, but having sidewalks isn't sufficient to demonstrate walkability.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I have no idea if Denver is walkable or not, but having sidewalks isn't sufficient to demonstrate walkability.
It's certainly a criteria. One reads about sidewalks or lack thereof on this forum a lot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Are there sidewalks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...!4d-80.0541815

there are. i don't see how bike lanes are necessary though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Yep.

There’s sidewalks in a lot of the GWN these days and have been for a long time.
Just how does one define "walkable" anyway?

Old 12-19-2017, 02:45 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Just how does one define "walkable" anyway?

It has to do with having things close enough together that you can do normal activities such as commuting or shopping by foot.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:49 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It has to do with having things close enough together that you can do normal activities such as commuting or shopping by foot.
Denver is "walkable", and has a good downtown commercial district.

16Th Street Mall Denver Attractions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh