Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:16 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,285,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Also keep in mind that most people here are just suggesting their own neighborhoods or towns, as usual.
which is funny because you suggested your area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 08:18 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I'm not, just for the record. I generally don't recommend my neighborhood unless people are looking for the specific things it has to offer; it's really not for everyone and I suspect it would look too run down for the OP.
Yeah, I rarely recommend my own neighborhood unless it seems like a good fit for the OP

Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 AM

15 posts, read 11,860 times
If your area is a good match for my requests then by all means suggest your area because you know it best anyway. I think maybe we are realizing we are more cut out for suburbia life. But have not settled on one place or another yet. Found a few nice places in Ross that we are going to check out and will see about Regent Square. I am so thankful for this forum and for all the input good or bad.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraft17 View Post
If your area is a good match for my requests then by all means suggest your area because you know it best anyway. I think maybe we are realizing we are more cut out for suburbia life. But have not settled on one place or another yet. Found a few nice places in Ross that we are going to check out and will see about Regent Square. I am so thankful for this forum and for all the input good or bad.
nothing wrong with that. if you want to give specifics there are many on here that can comment on individual areas.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:24 AM

4,363 posts, read 6,541,516 times
I rarely recommend my current neighborhood to anyone, unless they say they'd like a Small Rural town in Northern Minnesota.

I've lived in a few neighborhoods in Pittsburgh and a few suburbs but have been to just about all of them. I'll always suggest Mt Lebanon when Kids are involved in a relocation but other than that I try to suggest places the match what they have asked for. If I happened to have lived there so be it.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I rarely recommend my current neighborhood to anyone, unless they say they'd like a Small Rural town in Northern Minnesota.

I've lived in a few neighborhoods in Pittsburgh and a few suburbs but have been to just about all of them. I'll always suggest Mt Lebanon when Kids are involved in a relocation but other than that I try to suggest places the match what they have asked for. If I happened to have lived there so be it.
Thank you slamont61. We did consider Mt. Lebanon very strongly because it seems like what we would like but the commute to where my husband works on Baum Blvd everyone says might be a little to long. So we are looking for options that are comparable that might be a better commute. Since you have been to most of the suburbs any other suggestions? We are strongly considering Ross Township any input?

Old 09-13-2017, 12:49 PM

4,363 posts, read 6,541,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraft17 View Post
Thank you slamont61. We did consider Mt. Lebanon very strongly because it seems like what we would like but the commute to where my husband works on Baum Blvd everyone says might be a little to long. So we are looking for options that are comparable that might be a better commute. Since you have been to most of the suburbs any other suggestions? We are strongly considering Ross Township any input?

Well I did at one time live in Ross Twp. Tends to vary in types of neighborhoods. Part of it borders on the North Side neighborhoods, some along highways and some pretty darn remote. Guess you'd have to consider the actual property you're looking at. Decent schools, commute is just okay, not sure how mass transit would work out though. Pretty car dependent communities, mostly not walkable except for around the neighborhood.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Well I did at one time live in Ross Twp. Tends to vary in types of neighborhoods. Part of it borders on the North Side neighborhoods, some along highways and some pretty darn remote. Guess you'd have to consider the actual property you're looking at. Decent schools, commute is just okay, not sure how mass transit would work out though. Pretty car dependent communities, mostly not walkable except for around the neighborhood.
let's keep this in perspective here.

from the far corner of ross to the point state park fountain is approximately 10 miles, which is about 25 minutes driving. add 10 minutes in traffic which is minimal on 279 most of the time. this is from the furthest corner. would be about the same to the east end.

north hills was rated the 8th best school district in the pittsburgh area by niche this year.

there is a park and ride and an express bus from the west view park and ride, with the 012 and the 05 express busses that can be used for commuting. these will take you down town but you will have to connect to get to the east end.

walk ability is limited as in many city and suburban neighborhoods.

so take that as you will and keep that in mind as you read the passage written from the poster living in Minnesota.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
let's keep this in perspective here.

from the far corner of ross to the point state park fountain is approximately 10 miles, which is about 25 minutes driving. add 10 minutes in traffic which is minimal on 279 most of the time. this is from the furthest corner. would be about the same to the east end.

north hills was rated the 8th best school district in the pittsburgh area by niche this year.

there is a park and ride and an express bus from the west view park and ride, with the 012 and the 05 express busses that can be used for commuting. these will take you down town but you will have to connect to get to the east end.

walk ability is limited as in many city and suburban neighborhoods.

so take that as you will and keep that in mind as you read the passage written from the poster living in Minnesota.
This was very helpful! Gives me an idea on commute times, and we have to drive to most things around here like the mall, Target, Walmart, Grocery, etc. Which as you say is normal in most suburban areas. We mostly just walk around our little neighborhood (houses, there is a library, but not much else).

Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 PM

How about this area? Any one want to chime in? Looks good on google map streets
https://www.trulia.com/rental/401900...-15217#photo-2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh