Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:57 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,289,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I'm surprised that people are having a hard time believing that some of the smaller and over-looked municipalities on the outskirts of Pittsburgh are cheap. It's also weird to watch a debate between some people posting about their own experiences, regarding properties they actually own, and then other people who are basically saying "nah, that can't be right, let's come up with a reason not to listen to them."
i don't think people deny it. i just think people overestimate the skills needed to identify potential dealbreakers and underestimate the amount of money saved by buying a cheap house. but in any market good deals are going to go fast. most houses that are on the market for more than a week are priced too high or they would be bought to rent out. how high takes some experience to gauge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 08:53 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,699,671 times
HGTV has taught me that stainless steel appliances (or lack there of) is a major deal breaker for a lot of folks. Sad but true!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:31 AM

8,090 posts, read 7,002,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
i don't think people deny it. i just think people overestimate the skills needed to identify potential dealbreakers and underestimate the amount of money saved by buying a cheap house. but in any market good deals are going to go fast. most houses that are on the market for more than a week are priced too high or they would be bought to rent out. how high takes some experience to gauge.
It's not just skills; it's time and money. Most people would rather add 100k to a mortgage than do 40K of work. Some people may actually prefer to do the work, but know that they they don't have an additional 40K laying around, but they CAN get approved for a larger mortgage.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,289,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's not just skills; it's time and money. Most people would rather add 100k to a mortgage than do 40K of work. Some people may actually prefer to do the work, but know that they they don't have an additional 40K laying around, but they CAN get approved for a larger mortgage.
for sure. leverage.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
HGTV has taught me that stainless steel appliances (or lack there of) is a major deal breaker for a lot of folks. Sad but true!
I know it may seem trivial to some, but aesthetics matter. People who want stainless steel are going to get it, and they'd rather buy a turn-key home than buy work. I've seen fixer-uppers ruin relationships. Life is stressful enough.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:46 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,068,390 times
But we were talking about how the middle class, American Dream is not attainable for most folks.

It seems to me that, after listing a very sensible way to attain it, some would still rather deny that a route exists.

Granted, if you have college loans, it becomes that much harder to save the fifteen grand needed to buy a modest, liveable fixer-upper. Also, that choice isn't for everyone.

But what an opportunity we have, in a metro that has jobs, to also have cheap homes.

And let me be clear: if you feel as if there is no path to the American Dream because you want stainless steel or to live in a trendy area, I have no sympathy!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:50 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,606,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I've seen fixer-uppers ruin relationships. Life is stressful enough.
I see your point here -- but I have also seen debt do the same. The question really isn't whether this route is for everyone; it was whether it's possible, and I really do see Pittsburgh as a place where it's *possible* to buy a truly cheap house and live in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
But what an opportunity we have, in a metro that has jobs, to also have cheap homes.
I really agree with this, and it applies across the spectrum. Homes that cost $20k here would cost $200k in many parts of the country, and homes that cost $200k here would be $2 million in the suburbs of many of the largest/most desirable cities (thinking for example of NYC, Boston, DC, Seattle, SF, LA).

Old 09-20-2017, 09:51 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,068,390 times
As far as damp basements go, most 100 year-old homes with stone foundations will have some dampness and water trickles. I have done a lot of reading on this and old stone foundations were meant to permeate moisture to some degree. I would assume that a 100 year-old house with no major foundation damage, but perhaps a dampness, is just fine.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I see your point here -- but I have also seen debt do the same. The question really isn't whether this route is for everyone; it was whether it's possible, and I really do see Pittsburgh as a place where it's *possible* to buy a truly cheap house and live in it.

I really agree with this, and it applies across the spectrum. Homes that cost $20k here would cost $200k in many parts of the country, and homes that cost $200k here would be $2 million in the suburbs of many of the largest/most desirable cities (thinking for example of NYC, Boston, DC, Seattle, SF, LA).
I agree with this whole-heartedly. I think the distinction is what constitutes "cheap". I'd put that figure around 100k, but it seems as if the natives expect a figure closer to 50k.

I consider this house both cheap and livable.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-19336#photo15

Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,572,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
..That will be true until the appliance manufacturers create a new "must have " style. Then all the stainless owners have to buy new appliances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh