Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 AM

110 posts, read 96,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I think one of the arguments for the "average taxpayer" footing the bill is that the city is handing out "average taxpayer" money to all of the developments geared toward the high end of the rent spectrum. Almost all of the major developments in the East End have been built with some sort of local tax relief or direct assistance funded by taxpayers. While I wholeheartedly agree that "affordable housing" should not be paid for by increasing the real estate transfer tax, which is clearly a burden on working and middle class homeowners and purchasers, it does make some sense to require taxpayer funds be allocated effectively where they are most needed.

Here is an example of what I am talking about (courtesy of your local "conservative" news outlet):

In Pittsburgh's battle against blight, some neighborhoods get left behind | TribLIVE
I get what you're saying, but I'm also looking at Pittsburgh going through a massive resurgence, in large part due to policies that include giving tax breaks to high-end developments. I wouldn't want the policy to change. Low-income housing built on tax breaks doesn't boost entire neighborhoods, nor does it bring a larger tax-base into the city.

Edit: I think it is worth mentioning -- it's not like the developers said: Hey, we are going to build high-end housing, help us pay for it! The city said: We have these really blighted areas, if anyone builds here, they can receive a tax abatement.

No one would build in those neighborhoods if there wasn't incentive, and, in the long run, it is great for the city. In ten years, rather than collecting taxes on a handful of crappy homes, they have these massive high-income developments to pull from. I have a really hard time seeing a negative angle to these policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,963,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Please show me where there is a sizable number of rentable 3 bedroom family homes near public transportation. If there were homes available they would have been rented by those in need. There are a lot of vacant homes and these homes along with others would not pass inspection.
Why 3 bedroom SFH's?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,462,132 times
Quote:
Please show me where there is a sizable number of rentable 3 bedroom family homes near public transportation. If there were homes available they would have been rented by those in need. There are a lot of vacant homes and these homes along with others would not pass inspection.
are you solely looking at the east end, or just near transportation in general? a very quick craigslist search for 3 bedrooms from 600-1000 gives you a good bit of options around the city. Many with access to public trans. https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/se...labilityMode=0

Old 04-25-2017, 08:31 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
are you solely looking at the east end, or just near transportation in general? a very quick craigslist search for 3 bedrooms from 600-1000 gives you a good bit of options around the city. Many with access to public trans. https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/se...labilityMode=0
Most of those homes are not in the city of Pittsburgh. I would never move my black family to Belle Vernon, Donora, New Castle, Natrona, Tarentum, California or Sharon PA. Where in the hell would I go to church, shop, get a haircut or communicate with like minded individuals. Not to mention those communities are drug infested and are far removed from the urban job centers. I am thinking from a black perspective.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Most of those homes are not in the city of Pittsburgh. I would never move my black family to Belle Vernon, Donora, New Castle, Natrona, Tarentum, California or Sharon PA. Where in the hell would I go to church, shop, get a haircut or communicate with like minded individuals. Not to mention those communities are drug infested and are far removed from the urban job centers. I am thinking from a black perspective.
156 results within 3 miles of 15203

Old 04-25-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
156 results within 3 miles of 15203
Will these homes pass a state inspection? This is the largest obstacle for families looking for a home. I'm talking reality. A single mother with multiple children working a entry level job. $900.00 per month is not affordable for some. $900.00 is more than my mortgage and I make good money.

Homewood is in the process of adding hundreds of affordable housing units near the busway. The new homes are rehabs of existing structures and new construction. The homes will be available for purchase after 5 years. This is a model that works for the community and those living in it. The homes are modern, safe, and centrally located so residents can get by without a car.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Will these homes pass a state inspection? This is the largest obstacle for families looking for a home. I'm talking reality. A single mother with multiple children working a entry level job. $900.00 per month is not affordable for some. $900.00 is more than my mortgage and I make good money.

Homewood is in the process of adding hundreds of affordable housing units near the busway. The new homes are rehabs of existing structures and new construction. The homes will be available for purchase after 5 years. This is a model that works for the community and those living in it. The homes are modern, safe, and centrally located so residents can get by without a car.
That's great and all and private groups should be able to develop whatever they want, but letting older homes rot in less trendy areas (like the middle and upper hill) while subsidizing further development in hot areas further drives parts of the city down while benefiting a select few lucky families. Are the residents of Knoxville and upper hill not deserve safe housing. Why do east liberty residents deserve it?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,462,132 times
Quote:
there are hundreds available within the city limits.

will they pass a section 8 inspection, and will the landlord accept a housing voucher is a question I cant answer.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 AM

To be fair, there are lots of reasons why the city does not redevelop efficiently (foolish and neglectful property owners, drug related violence created by poor city policies and rehab support, disincentives for development to highest and best use due to NIMBY's, lack of good city records and property assessments, poor initial construction and environmental issues). I get that these issues mean that the market is not as effective for the poor to benefit, but leaving all these issues in place and bandaiding over small sections of population only create more of a system of winners and losers, with the winners being at the high and well connected low end, leaving the less connected low end and middle behind.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
That's great and all and private groups should be able to develop whatever they want, but letting older homes rot in less trendy areas (like the middle and upper hill) while subsidizing further development in hot areas further drives parts of the city down while benefiting a select few lucky families. Are the residents of Knoxville and upper hill not deserve safe housing. Why do east liberty residents deserve it?
You obviously have not been to the Hill District lately. No neighborhood has added more affordable units than the middle Hill.

Elmore Square

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4432...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Reed Street

https://www.google.com/maps/place/El...758862!6m1!1e1

Bedford Street

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4453...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4490...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Dinwiddie Street

For Sale Market Rate

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4402...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Rental

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4402...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh