Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 09:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,033,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_1982 View Post
I think the Whole Foods was smart to pull out of this project since it doesn't mesh well with its branding. My guess is that they will try to find another location in the East End where they can develop a larger store. The worst possible thing that could happen for that site is for an even larger, and far less worker friendly, big box retailer (like Walmart) to be developed there. I take pride in the fact that there are no Walmarts in the city of Pittsburgh.

It would have been possible for the the developer, LG Realty, to work with the city and adjust their redevelopment plans after the City Planning Commission rejected them in January but they instead decided to take their grievances to court. The community (i.e. the owners and renters who live in each neighborhood) should have the opportunity to influence a plan which a) displaced 200 people and b) affected neighborhood green space (Enright Parklet).
I am hoping for Walmart to go in there now that Whole Foods isn't going to build a larger store that provides more jobs and certainly a much needed option for groceries in that densely populated area. Where are people going to shop around East Liberty? The current grocery stores are PACKED solid with people in that area and the current Whole Foods is way too small for its volume. I don't go just because how crazy it is in there. Keep in mind the new apartments aren't even finished! Just wait when they get occupied and watch how ridiculous it gets then!!!! People will have to drive to get groceries instead of walking to that new Whole Foods location!

Pittsburgh sure seems to do everything in their power to discourage logical growth. They are building all these apartments in that region and not having enough grocery service is going to be par for the course. Now we can have a nice vacant lot until a big box moves in. What else is going to go there? Seriously!

Old 03-31-2017, 09:47 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,500,148 times
Every article I've read states that WF is just waiting for the developer to resolve issues with the community about the development. "Suspend" does not mean "terminate."

"While Whole Foods didn’t close the door on potentially building at the site, Ms. Buchanan stressed that it would be up to developer LG Realty Advisors to work with the community and the city to resolve the issues that have dogged the development for more than a year. 'We will watch it very closely. We will continue to watch it very closely'..."

Whole Foods pulls plans for new East Liberty store | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 03-31-2017, 10:15 AM

969 posts, read 774,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_1982 View Post
I think the Whole Foods was smart to pull out of this project since it doesn't mesh well with its branding. My guess is that they will try to find another location in the East End where they can develop a larger store. The worst possible thing that could happen for that site is for an even larger, and far less worker friendly, big box retailer (like Walmart) to be developed there. I take pride in the fact that there are no Walmarts in the city of Pittsburgh.

It would have been possible for the the developer, LG Realty, to work with the city and adjust their redevelopment plans after the City Planning Commission rejected them in January but they instead decided to take their grievances to court. The community (i.e. the owners and renters who live in each neighborhood) should have the opportunity to influence a plan which a) displaced 200 people and b) affected neighborhood green space (Enright Parklet).
This is the part everyone seems to be glossing over. It isn't about this proposed tenant or that proposed tenant. The groups fighting are fighting against ANY development that doesn't include affordable housing. The plans just happen to involve Whole Foods, but if a new tenant jumps on board they will be the new bad guy.

Anyone who believes that compromise is possible from the community groups is deluding themselves, that's what makes them nearly as annoying as the developer.

It's the City's job to manage this, and so far BP and Kev Acklin are just doing the bidding of one side and the rest of us suffer, including all of those who would have already benefited from the contribution to the affordable housing contributions this project would have made which was estimated at $10-12m.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:23 AM

97 posts, read 101,388 times
Affordable housing is not a right.
Being able to afford a given neighborhood is not a right.
Neighborhoods change.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:42 AM

969 posts, read 774,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlwhip View Post
Affordable housing is not a right.
Being able to afford a given neighborhood is not a right.
Neighborhoods change.
Not only that, but this prime location? It's laughable.

The problem here is, that as long as that developer and the tenant stay the bad guys the longer the City isn't on the hook for actually developing more affordable housing. It's not private developers jobs to do this, it's a municipality's and even that is debatable depending on who you talk to.

The even sadder part is that while all this goes on there is even less time and energy spent on the 65 neighborhoods that are in actual need of our leadership's time and energy. I'm from the East End and even to me it's getting old, I can't even imagine how annoying this is for someone in Sheraden, Elliot, West End, Beltzhoover, Allentown, etc.

Quit bowing to the community groups and make some rational decisions with the developer and let's all move on.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:21 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,003,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
the even sadder part is that while all this goes on there is even less time and energy spent on the 65 neighborhoods that are in actual need of our leadership's time and energy. I'm from the east end and even to me it's getting old, i can't even imagine how annoying this is for someone in sheraden, elliot, west end, beltzhoover, allentown, etc.
A-men!

Old 03-31-2017, 11:22 AM

325 posts, read 323,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I am hoping for Walmart to go in there now that Whole Foods isn't going to build a larger store that provides more jobs and certainly a much needed option for groceries in that densely populated area. Where are people going to shop around East Liberty? The current grocery stores are PACKED solid with people in that area and the current Whole Foods is way too small for its volume. I don't go just because how crazy it is in there. Keep in mind the new apartments aren't even finished! Just wait when they get occupied and watch how ridiculous it gets then!!!! People will have to drive to get groceries instead of walking to that new Whole Foods location!

Pittsburgh sure seems to do everything in their power to discourage logical growth. They are building all these apartments in that region and not having enough grocery service is going to be par for the course. Now we can have a nice vacant lot until a big box moves in. What else is going to go there? Seriously!
I agree bring on a walmart I love that place for cheap deals I hate how everyone HATES them.. and there are no super walmarts around and I hate target because I feel they are overpriced.. does anyone have the address or google link to the site planned to build? and how about a home depot on the south side closer to streets run road.. tired of having to drive all the way to east liberty from mt Washington

Old 03-31-2017, 02:01 PM

994 posts, read 902,847 times
As I have said a million times before, there is already plenty of affordable housing in and outside of the city.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:07 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,583,558 times
There is a wal-mart at the waterworks - which is city limits.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:51 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,588,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
There is a wal-mart at the waterworks - which is city limits.
WalMart builds near major highways. There is no way they are building in the Penn Plaza site.
None. Zero. Nada.
This is not how they operate. People are gullible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh