Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:56 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,469,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
As a city resident, what's not to hate? The destruction of many extremely vibrant neighborhoods at the hands of these urban planners was jokishly bad and the mayor's that let it happen should have history corrected to show the truth of their impact on the city.
as a city resident myself, yes its a shame, but even if the highway was built elsewhere, it still would have had to go through somewhere. Im confused on the having history corrected? is it being taught in the schools that the construction of 279 was some type of "new deal" that changed the course of pittsburgh for the better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 10:07 AM

969 posts, read 777,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
as a city resident myself, yes its a shame, but even if the highway was built elsewhere, it still would have had to go through somewhere. Im confused on the having history corrected? is it being taught in the schools that the construction of 279 was some type of "new deal" that changed the course of pittsburgh for the better?
It is very rare to hear an old Pittsburgher criticize the mayors of the urban removal era. You would think they saved the city the way they are revered. David L. Lawrence? Richard Caliguiri?

Most European cities didn't destroy their cities to add highways, and they do have highways. They just decided to put them further outside the city instead of going right through them.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:51 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,027,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
I think the argument is that we could have done without 279 entirely. Not just that it could have been built elsewhere.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 PM

42 posts, read 33,028 times
As someone mentioned before, the community group is extremely active in this area. There is a former president of the group named Nick who pretty much single handily has changed the neighborhood by walking around the neighborhood making sure people are doing what they are supposed to. He will never get the praise he deserves. The area is almost entirely renovated/new(er) construction and is one of the best areas to live in the city in my opinion. October Development has been involved with a substantial amount of development, but has also been given some "shady" deals with the community group from what I have heard. I know of more than one person who was quite upset about the deals he's been given that others tried to be involved. Some properties as an example are on Foreland Street.

The area gets better every time I see it.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:36 PM

325 posts, read 324,789 times
Pittsburgh's East Ohio Street is getting a 96-room hotel, bike lanes, sidewalks | TribLIVE

Old 04-14-2018, 01:12 PM

32,629 posts, read 77,836,338 times
Patronized Kaffeehaus today to rejuvenate myself after doing the Fineview Fitness Trail. Ordered a large vanilla iced macchiato and a banana. Came to about $5. Reasonable. They also have cupcakes, bagels, and sandwiches/breakfast sandwiches. I was there along with a woman and a 30-something couple with a baby.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:34 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,738,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Patronized Kaffeehaus today to rejuvenate myself after doing the Fineview Fitness Trail. Ordered a large vanilla iced macchiato and a banana. Came to about $5. Reasonable. They also have cupcakes, bagels, and sandwiches/breakfast sandwiches. I was there along with a woman and a 30-something couple with a baby.
Did you do the crazy leaning stairs? Handrails have been replaced by old garden hoses

Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 AM

32,629 posts, read 77,836,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Did you do the crazy leaning stairs? Handrails have been replaced by old garden hoses
Yes! When I want a good workout I'll walk from Polish Hill over to AGH and then tackle the entirety of the marked Fineview Fitness Trail. I'll then come back down past AGH and cut over to Voskamp Street, where I take a really steep set of stairs up to the back end of Troy Hill. I then formerly walked down Rialto and over the 31st Street Bridge and back home. With Rialto Street now closed I've excluded Troy Hill from my exercising.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:15 PM

42 posts, read 33,028 times
Best place to buy a house!

Old 04-24-2018, 07:27 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,738,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yes! When I want a good workout I'll walk from Polish Hill over to AGH and then tackle the entirety of the marked Fineview Fitness Trail. I'll then come back down past AGH and cut over to Voskamp Street, where I take a really steep set of stairs up to the back end of Troy Hill. I then formerly walked down Rialto and over the 31st Street Bridge and back home. With Rialto Street now closed I've excluded Troy Hill from my exercising.
The above is what makes this city great. A daily run, walk or bike ride can be an adventurous day of street steps, back alleys, bridges, hills and different neighborhoods..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh