Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 11:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,999,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xammy View Post
Sorry I haven't replied recently, was on holiday and during that time we were really thrown for a loop. All of my hard work researching Pittsburgh was for naught, and I am more confused than ever.

The company no wants us to move to Texas, in the Dallas area.

Obviously, as Europeans (well I am Canadian with Euro citizenship) moving to the US was daunting. Our head is full of stereotypes when we think of Texas (guns, Trump voter territory etc) and we are very, very confused. They are open to us staying in Europe and my husband continuing to work remotely, but really want him over there. We have no kids, so it's just the two of us we'd be uprooting (and our dogs), but... whew.

So that's the end of Pittsburgh for us, sadly... we were so looking forward to moving there. I do appreciate all of your time and advice, though, thank you very much!

If you have thoughts on Europe / Pittsburgh / Dallas, Texas comparisons, thoughts, advice, ways to talk me off the ledge haha I'd love to hear them!
It is pretty hot down there, but Dallas isn't all Republicans anymore.

https://wheneftalks.com/2013/11/16/p...ty-since-1960/

I would rather live in Pittsburgh than Dallas, but if you choose the right area in Dallas, it probably is pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 11:02 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,887,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Dallas is a very cosmopolitan city - you will be fine - if you can stand the heat. The outlying suburbs will be more conservative though.[/url]
Agreed, anyone I know that moves to Texas primarily only complains about the hot weather.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:39 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,895,822 times
Quote:
Our head is full of stereotypes when we think of Texas (guns, Trump voter territory etc) and we are very, very confused.

If you have thoughts on Europe / Pittsburgh / Dallas, Texas comparisons, thoughts, advice, ways to talk me off the ledge haha I'd love to hear them!

What makes Texas great is that it is run by gun loving Trump supporters. The state doesn't have the liberal regulations/laws/taxes that Democratic-leaning Pennsylvania does. I paid no state income tax in Texas. It was far cheaper to live and easier to get jobs there. Texas has a variety of regions - from ocean to desert, flatlands to mountains. Pittsburgh doesn't come close to the cities in Texas when it comes to the food, restaurants, and bars. (I'm getting hungry right now thinking of the seafood out of the Gulf and the BBQ). The music scene is far better. Texas is sports crazy which was a lot of fun.

You should at least visit Texas. You will be pleasantly surprised and might consider conservative politics a good thing.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:48 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,600,488 times
On the other hand, if you don't consider conservative politics a good thing, you might look up the politician Wendy Davis. She is quite something, and proudly represented Fort Worth (very close to Dallas) until 2015. Most of the liberal Texans I know seem to live in Fort Worth (if they can't live in Austin), and they all adore the Kimbell Museum, which is an absolute gem.

That's the funny thing about the current division in America; even the most liberal states have conservative pockets, and vice versa, so you can always find a like-minded community no matter which way you are leaning.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:08 PM

56 posts, read 64,447 times
All great info... I'm pretty sure the heat would kill me! :O Although, that's coming from a state of mind where I'm sitting in front of the fan here in the Netherlands, where air conditioning isn't really a thing. I guess the heat isn't so bad when you have air conditioning in your house (I'd just become a complete hermit! :P )

Old 07-19-2016, 01:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,970,101 times
The heat, my God, the heat. I spent what felt like a year in Dallas for (it was just a week) a few years ago. Even with air conditioning, it can only do so much at those blistering temperatures. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Dallas did not make much of an impression on me. Lots of concrete and highways. Didn't see many actual people out (too hot), so it was mostly cars. A lot of the housing projects are built behind stucco walls, so all you see are rooftops from the arterial streets. There were some nice areas, but it felt pretty disjointed.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:36 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,896 times
Quote:
All great info... I'm pretty sure the heat would kill me! :O Although, that's coming from a state of mind where I'm sitting in front of the fan here in the Netherlands, where air conditioning isn't really a thing. I guess the heat isn't so bad when you have air conditioning in your house (I'd just become a complete hermit! :P )
Yes that's what happens in Texas in the summer - everything is oriented to the inside - malls, museums, restaurants, etc. Dallas has a number of liberal neighborhoods. It also has a large gay population. Things are not always as you expect in Texas. There are a lot of wealthy philanthropists - making the museums and performing arts top notch. It's very car oriented though - that will take some getting used to as well. I lived in Dallas in the early 90's. I personally did not like it due to the heat - I am an outdoor oriented person.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:47 PM

56 posts, read 64,447 times
I'm a homebody by nature, so I'd happily stay in the airco, but I'm pretty sure I'd die a horrible death if it ever broke.

I don't mind heat, but humidity... oh no, I suffocate.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:52 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
It's very car oriented though - that will take some getting used to as well.
Though they have been expanding their light rail. I was surprised to read they have the 7th largest ridership in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DART_Light_Rail

Old 07-19-2016, 08:49 PM

697 posts, read 778,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
What makes Texas great is that it is run by gun loving Trump supporters. The state doesn't have the liberal regulations/laws/taxes that Democratic-leaning Pennsylvania does. I paid no state income tax in Texas. It was far cheaper to live and easier to get jobs there. Texas has a variety of regions - from ocean to desert, flatlands to mountains. Pittsburgh doesn't come close to the cities in Texas when it comes to the food, restaurants, and bars. (I'm getting hungry right now thinking of the seafood out of the Gulf and the BBQ). The music scene is far better. Texas is sports crazy which was a lot of fun.

You should at least visit Texas. You will be pleasantly surprised and might consider conservative politics a good thing.
When are you moving? Sounds like heaven compared to your perceptions and experience in this area.

Xammy, I'd at least check it out for yourself and post on the Dallas forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh