Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:42 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times

Advertisements

If offered the right incentives, I would happily relocate my poultry farm to McKeesport and make a much larger operation than I have here in CA. I'm Serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Quote:
"... Approximately fifteen years ago, the administration of McKeesport commissioned a study conducted by the Allegheny County Sheriff’s Department aimed at identifying and combating the growing problems of violent crimes, drugs and gang activity. On the very night while another senseless murder was being committed only a mile or so away from the meeting, the conclusion of the study identified three major hot spots for these nefarious activities: Crawford Village, Harrison Village and Bailey Avenue, in the heart of the seventh ward. What is known, based on its own reporting, is that any serious plan to eradicate the problems of gun violence, drug and gang related activities in McKeesport, must start with addressing these problems, especially in the aforementioned hot spots, Crawford Village, Harrison Village and Bailey Avenue and the surrounding seventh..."
I have nothing deep to say. Yet that research study supports what I know to be true. A highlight can blanket and cover McKeesport from Walnut to Soles St and From Soles to Maple with few exceptions these areas are all just as bad. This area other than say the worst parts of Homewood, the Hill and Wilkinsburg, arguably and statistically the worst parts of 'Killa McKee' are the next worst residential (as in non housing project/large section 8 complex) ghetto in Allegheny County. Duquesne's worst parts, Larimer, Lower Lincoln/most of Upper Lincoln, Beltzhoover, northernmost Knoxville and parts of Hazelwood are also in this running with central McKeesport's Wards. Other than #1 Wilkinsburg, #2-3 McKeesport/Duquesne, the worst parts of the following: Mt. Oliver, Homestead, Southern North Braddock & Blair District Clairton are the runners for next worst hoods outside the city limits...

E.R. Crawford Village, Harrison Village, Bailie Avenue/surrounding 7th Ward were the original hoods of the 'Port and the epicenters of violence that ripples across the city from 3rd-8th Wards (although most of the muders are indepedent/separate occurances that have little to no connections- expect of couse for when they indeed due: ie. retaliation, drug, etc). Hi-View Gardens/surrounding area and the area along the entirety of Evans Ave are also very rough now too... Like 7th Ward, residential Downtown 3rd Ward, Walnut St extention & Ward 5-6 of "Uptown" are just as bad as/ in the same tier as the following: Duquesne, Larimer, Lincoln-Lemington, Beltzhoover, northern Knoxville and Hazelwood's worst parts.
The Maple to Craig St area past Bailey Avenue (like Sumac St, 2700-3100 blks of Stewart St, Garbett, Grover) has gotten worse since 2006. Just like 2800-3200 8th Ward (just below Crawford Village- Chester, Idaho, Jersey, Freeland, Boyd St, etc in between Granview the cemetery - north of Versallies), is at the same level. In comparison like- Rankin, parts of Marshall-Shadeland/ Sheraden/ Allentown/ Arlington/ Southern Knoxville/ non-project McKees Rocks roughest areas, etc.

Sadly these areas were wrote off a long time ago, before the 2000's. Now the news is on areas near the Grandview District, 8th Ward around Aubrle, around 5th Ave-Bowman Ave, soon the three orginal gangs will spread to these places too. As like the rest of 8th Ward, Crawford Village spills over in 8th Ward around Aubrle... And outer 7th Ward gangs are as far as Sumac St.
10th Ward, Kirsty Park and parts of the Grandview District itself are now some of the roughest white neighborhoods in the county...

Last edited by Uptown kid; 01-08-2016 at 12:16 AM..

Old 07-28-2017, 11:23 AM

15 posts, read 19,013 times
Wondering if this area has improved or is still just as bad?

Old 07-28-2017, 04:32 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers_Gurl View Post
Wondering if this area has improved or is still just as bad?
Still bad.

The problem is that there's plenty of places much closer to the city than the Mon Valley that are still affordable and historic, so why bother with the Mon Valley unless you have no desire to be close to the city? Places like Donora, Monessen, New Eagle, Charleroi, Glassport, Clairton, etc. aren't going to boom as long as you could choose to live in McKees Rocks, Coraopolis, Stowe Township, Swissvale, Springdale, Sharpsburg, Etna, Millvale, Mt. Oliver, Knoxville, Beltzhoover, Brightwood, etc. for a similar price with the added benefit of being MUCH closer to (or within) the city.

PreservationPioneer tries to sell everyone on McKeesport as being "only a half-hour to the city", but you could buy similar homes for similar prices IN similarly rough around the edges city neighborhoods, so what's the point?

Old 07-28-2017, 09:35 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,300 times
Extend a T line to Kennywood for a start, maybe on to McKeesport. Set up some industrial parks with good tax breaks to either lure or encourage some home grown businesses. A process of cleaning up and sprucing up will help with attitudes. Getting people in a more positive frame of mind could work wonders.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:59 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Extend a T line to Kennywood for a start, maybe on to McKeesport. Set up some industrial parks with good tax breaks to either lure or encourage some home grown businesses. A process of cleaning up and sprucing up will help with attitudes. Getting people in a more positive frame of mind could work wonders.

Makes sense, in theory. I think you have to start with a revolution in attitudes towards education. Suppose what you propose came to reality. They people they'd have there, with the better jobs, would probably be graduates of college, or people moving laterally in their respective industries, taking advantage of a new job, new people, and so on.

That would leave the locals in the same boat. A few might get decent jobs as a superintendant, or landscaper, but to really open doors, i think parents have to approach education as a gift....starting from day 1. I'm not claiming Ivy League dreams, but at least being ready post-high school education when the time comes, whether its a trade, or a 4-yr college.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:00 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I agree some of the towns just need to go away. They were built for one purpose only (insert local coal mine/ coke oven/ mill etc) & that purpose is now gone. Some places have grown beyond their original purpose but many have not. I'm not proposing forced relocation or anything but likewise not supporting any money being used to try to improve an obviously dying community.
I don't know much about the Mon Valley. What do you mean by go away? The land will still be there. What would it be used for?

Old 07-29-2017, 07:07 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
I spent a week in Connellsville one day.

The Mon Valley has been depressed for a least fifty years or more.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:34 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I don't know much about the Mon Valley. What do you mean by go away? The land will still be there. What would it be used for?
A solar-powered parking lot for the self-driving automobiles that will need a place to park and charge during the day while their masters slave away in cube land downtown. Or farmland for the newly certified medicinal marijuana growers.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:17 AM

15 posts, read 19,013 times
Thanks, I applied for a job at the hospital there. Of the places you listed as other options, what would be your order of recommendation? I'm not concerned about schools, my kids are grown. We like smaller towns, but, also like nice main streets and community events. Any thoughts? Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh