Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:49 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,360,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I've also noticed gas prices are highest in poor urban neighborhoods and cheapest in wealthier outlying suburban areas---at least in Greater Pittsburgh. This dichotomy is morally reprehensible as those who are paying the most are those who can LEAST afford to be burdened by higher transportation costs while those who pay the least are already pulling up to the pump with $30,000 vehicles.
I noticed this when I lived on Mt. Washington--where gas was sometimes as much as 30 cents more than it was right down the hill out the parkway or 51.

On the bright side, last weekend I filled up for $2.89 at a Sheetz in Calcutta, OH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:50 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,920,320 times
Due to PAs topography, climate, and population clusters and locations, we have a more difficult time maintaining and building our roads and bridges.

A 10 mile road in Kansas is cheaper to build and maintain than a 10 mile road in Pennsylvania which will probably have 5 retaining walls, an abandoned mine, and a couple bridges.

Do our roads sometimes suck? Yes.
Is it entirely because of the reasons above? No.
Is it entirely because of PennDot? No.

Everyone wants to cry foul all the time, but sometimes there are isues outside of EVERYONES control that do factor into things.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Due to PAs topography, climate, and population clusters and locations, we have a more difficult time maintaining and building our roads and bridges.

A 10 mile road in Kansas is cheaper to build and maintain than a 10 mile road in Pennsylvania which will probably have 5 retaining walls, an abandoned mine, and a couple bridges.

Do our roads sometimes suck? Yes.
Is it entirely because of the reasons above? No.
Is it entirely because of PennDot? No.

Everyone wants to cry foul all the time, but sometimes there are isues outside of EVERYONES control that do factor into things.
Not to mention the amount of roadways we have compared to other states. PA has a TON of roads.

• Pennsylvania’s 41,158-mile highway system is larger than the state road systems of New York, New Jersey and the New England states combined (40,092).
• Approximately 36 percent of the state roads are considered “poor” or “mediocre” condition.
• The state is responsible for 25,321 bridges.
• Structurally Deficient Bridges: 6,536 total.(4,293 state; 2,243 local.)
• Weight-restricted bridges: 2,528 total. (829 state; 1,699 local.)
• Closed bridges: 256 total. (42 state; 214 local.)

Old 10-23-2014, 11:27 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
The other thing to keep in mind is that the gas tax is charged per gallon, not per dollar. When gas prices go up and the economy gets slower, people drive less and buy more efficient cars. Overall consumption is down by a lot since the peak in 2006 so the amount of tax collected has dropped by a large amount.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:59 AM

82 posts, read 141,109 times
I filled up yesterday, just east of Erie, still in PA, for $2.99 per gallon. In New York state it ranged from $3.45-3.60.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:02 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,587,007 times
SCR's main point that is not being addressed is that Pittsburgh gas prices are still above the state average. So even if state gas taxes are high, that doesn't entirely explain why city gas prices are higher than, say, Philadelphia.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:22 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
Quote:
I guess we just need to chalk this up as just another contributing factor towards the higher cost-of-living of urban living.
Absolutely this. Even at a 50 cent price differential it's only going to be like $100 a year, if that, for most city residents. Like 90% of my driving is for luxury items (movies, eating out, out of state trips, etc.) and I would cut back on those things before shopping around to save a dollar or two on a tank of gas. You're in an unusual circumstance since your job requires you to fill up so much.

Quote:
I've also noticed gas prices are highest in poor urban neighborhoods and cheapest in wealthier outlying suburban areas---at least in Greater Pittsburgh. This dichotomy is morally reprehensible as those who are paying the most are those who can LEAST afford to be burdened by higher transportation costs while those who pay the least are already pulling up to the pump with $30,000 vehicles.
Conversely, those who rely on cars the most are getting the cheapest gas while those who rely on cars the least are paying a little more. Even at lower per-gallon prices rest assured that the average suburban or rural resident is paying more in actual dollars for gas than the average city resident.

Quote:
Unrelated, I've come off my "East End Housing Crisis" soap box. If the East End becoming reserved for only the rich and famous in the coming years means the rest of we working-class saps moving to other parts of the city and making them better (i.e. Brookline, Troy Hill, Beechview, Brighton Heights, Arlington, etc.), then that's better for the city overall.
Right on!

Old 10-23-2014, 12:37 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonMan View Post
I filled up yesterday, just east of Erie, still in PA, for $2.99 per gallon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
SCR's main point that is not being addressed is that Pittsburgh gas prices are still above the state average. So even if state gas taxes are high, that doesn't entirely explain why city gas prices are higher than, say, Philadelphia.
^ This. If it's just a case of gas prices being higher in Pittsburgh than in the majority of the rest of the state "cuz service station owners here want to make more money...", then so be it.

I also wish I knew why the Shadyside GetGo always seems to be more expensive than the Squirrel Hill GetGo. Is it the slightly longer distance for trucks to travel to Shadyside from I-376 vs. Squirrel Hill? One would think the Squirrel Hill GetGo would have to charge more for gas to remain competitive in profitability since its in-store business is MINISCULE compared to Shadyside's crazy in-store business, where I've stood in a line 15+ deep at times to buy some last-minute overpriced sushi or something at 11 PM.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
Isn't pretty much everything in Pittsburgh more expensive than the state average?

Old 10-23-2014, 12:50 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,969,419 times
I was in New Castle last week, which has a total of three Get Go stations. I ended up driving past all at them at some point and each one had a different price. So it seems to be a statewide phenomenon. Right now it was cheaper up there than in Pittsburgh, but last spring the prices were higher up there than they were down here. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh