Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
Maybe they can change the word "fish" to Robots in this classic.
Fish That Saved Pittsburgh - YouTube

LOL LOL LOL, hmmm you my be onto something....... it could become a cult classic just like the original.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 08:46 AM

273 posts, read 348,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Seems like everyone outside the region have declared Pittsburgh a comeback success while the locals are throwing in the towel.
I think it's part of Pittsburgh's culture to be gloomy on the surface (yet secretly content or happy). It probably springs from a combination of the cloudy weather, being beaten down through the labor movement, and Central and Eastern European genetics.

Also, I think it's about perspective. For those of us who witnessed the dark days of the collapse of steel, it's pretty amazing how well Pittsburgh is doing now. Most people thought it was going to go the way of Detroit.

But if you didn't experience the collapse (perhaps you're too young), you may not appreciate where it is today.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
So there are 2000 robotics jobs in Pittsburgh, out of how many? Sorry, robotics has a long way to go before it's a major source of jobs.

Economy of Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Note 40,000+ employees at UPMC alone!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So there are 2000 robotics jobs in Pittsburgh, out of how many? Sorry, robotics has a long way to go before it's a major source of jobs.

Economy of Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Note 40,000+ employees at UPMC alone!
I think robotics was meant to be illustrative of how Pittsburgh has reinvented itself as a leader in high tech, medical and services industries. I don't know if the article is saying that robotics are a major source of jobs.

I also think the robotics example is compelling because 1.) many think of Pittsburgh as being blue collar rather than high tech and 2.) it sounds like Pittsburgh is keeping to its manufacturing tradition in some way.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
Yeah, I thought it was weird to focus just on robots. Even if you're just talking about CMU's effect on the local economy, there's lots of other areas of tech that are doing as well or better than robotics.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Yeah, I thought it was weird to focus just on robots. Even if you're just talking about CMU's effect on the local economy, there's lots of other areas of tech that are doing as well or better than robotics.
It may be that robots are really cool and the other issues aren't as sexy. Have you seen the robots that have been developed by DARPA or heard about the flying robots that may deliver packages one day?

How cool is this??

Be Afraid: Atlas Robot Unveiled! - YouTube

Old 02-05-2014, 02:14 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
Financial services has been one of the fastest growing sectors in the Pittsburgh region in recent years. I'd like to see an article about that.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Financial services has been one of the fastest growing sectors in the Pittsburgh region in recent years. I'd like to see an article about that.
<YAWN> Just kidding. Sort of.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:00 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
People have to take some personal responsibility. You cant just sit around and wait for opportunity to come to you. There are people who have made a living doing residential rehabs for people willing to put money into old row homes. then there are people who have degrees in electrical engineering who are doing the robotics living in those now $250k row homes

so if someone is still claiming the economic transition has left them behind - no. that is old thinking and you need to wake up and smell the coffee, which is made in China incidentally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh