Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:40 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times

Advertisements

So in response to a previous thread about lazy journalists writing generic articles about Pittsburgh I decided to make a thread about cool stuff that you may not have known about the city. We haven't done one of these in awhile, so time to get Sebak in here:

- Did you know that Pittsburgh could claim the title of Beer City, USA? Asheville claims to hold that title with 13 breweries. Grand Rapids actually did claim the title in 2013 with around 20 breweries. Did you know that the Pittsburgh area has 21 breweries/brewpubs/nanobreweries with 6 more on the way?

- Did you know that there is a distillery in Munhall?

- Did you know that Pittsburgh has a top ranked music festival every year?

- Did you know that the Bhutanese population in Pittsburgh is over 4000, one of the highest in the United States?

- Did you know that there are DIY music venues all around the city?

- Did you know that a movie produced solely by Pittsburghers and shot in the area is in the National Film Registry at the Library of Congress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Boulder has about 20 breweries.

Thanks for this thread. No I didn't know some of this and that is cool.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,596 times
Things off the top of my head that never get mentioned in national press that are fairly indicative of Western PA culture:

- The dirty dozen bike race. A testament to both this city's dynamic topography and the psychotic side of it's bike culture.

- That giant pinball convention thing they have in Carnegie every year. Pinball is big here, n'at. Seriously, damn near every bar, pizza joint, and coffee shop has one.

- Fish sandwiches. Pirmanties always gets the press, but the real Pittsburgh sandwich is a giant slab of breaded white fish (or the tofishy at Zenith for us carrot lovers).

- The view from "Bigelow Heights" in Greenfield. The celebrated vistas of Mt. Washington and Observatory Hill have nothing on several panorama's in Greenfield, with the best one being a several block stretch coming down Bigelow St. The best views in Pittsburgh need to be experienced with 360 degrees; two dimensional photos don't do this town justice.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
There are some very cool facts here!

Another quirky Pittsburgh thing is the cookie tray during weddings in the local area which was written about in the New York Times a few years ago. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/di...anted=all&_r=0

Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

- Did you know that Pittsburgh could claim the title of Beer City, USA? Asheville claims to hold that title with 13 breweries. Grand Rapids actually did claim the title in 2013 with around 20 breweries. Did you know that the Pittsburgh area has 21 breweries/brewpubs/nanobreweries with 6 more on the way?
Tell me more - I only know about half of these. And are you including Arsenal Cider House - a high quality cider producer in an inner city neighborhood is way cool.

Something that to me typifies Pittsburgh is Penn Ave Fish Co. We are always amazed that you walk in, order food, help yourself to drinks, soup, etc, and no one tracks what you've got. You just tell them as you leave what you consumed. And the quality of the fish and cooking far surpasses what I'd expect in a landlocked town, but that's not as cool as the prevailing atmosphere in there.

It's a wonderful, unique place.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:33 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
That giant pinball convention thing they have in Carnegie every year. Pinball is big here, n'at. Seriously, damn near every bar, pizza joint, and coffee shop has one.
Yes, that would be PAPA: PAPA.ORG | The Professional & Amateur Pinball Association

I've wanted to go when it's open to the public but I always forget. Also, there's the Pinball Perfection on Route 19: PINBALLPERFECTION.COM (dat website) and Bradish Street Pinball Parlor that just opened: http://www.pinbash.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Tell me more - I only know about half of these. And are you including Arsenal Cider House - a high quality cider producer in an inner city neighborhood is way cool.
Nope, not even including Arsenal. Did you know there's another cider house in Slippery Rock?

Also, for all the breweries in the area there's this post on Reddit that I found: A list of all the local breweries in the area : pittsburgh

Old 01-11-2014, 06:51 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,150 times
All Saints Brewery also sells mead made by Laurel Highlands Meadery.

All Saints Brewing Company

Laurel Highlands Meadery - Herminie, PA

Old 01-11-2014, 07:40 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,109 times
Port of Pittsburgh is the second largest inland port in the US by tonnage.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:13 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Every July, Pittsburgh hosts the largest vintage sports car race and largest inland regatta in the United States.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:28 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Canton Ave Steepest Street in the World - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
(Part of the Dirty Dozen (bicycle competition) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia mentioned by JimboPGH)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh