Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 03:31 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,245,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I like Pittsburgh-style pizza. Try living in a pizza desert like Seattle.
I mostly ate seafood, not pizza, in Seattle, but there's a superb genuine Napoli Style place in Capitol Hill - forget name - and the Perfect Pie place on 4th and now Westlake are divine.

And I agree with the other poster - no idea what Pittsburgh style is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 05:30 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,096,236 times
When I lived there, the only pizza was Domino's or Pizza Hut, except for this weird little place in Ballard that made the pizza and you took it home and cooked it. It was nastier than Mineo's.

Pittsburgh style is not NY (my limited impression of NY is thin crust, not crispy, not sweet sauce, and I've only had cheese, and big cuts) or Connecticut (never had), so why people think that they are going to get NY or Connecticut here, I don't know.
The crust is thicker and chewy, the sauce is a little sweet. I don't get a lot of toppings when we get one. But hey, it's not goormay or anything.

Challenging opinion: I don't consider Chicago-style to be pizza

Old 12-07-2013, 06:08 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,605,342 times
Quote:
Challenging opinion: I don't consider Chicago-style to be pizza
Of course it isn't, but focaccia is a perfectly good food.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,269,637 times
Quote:
I like Pittsburgh-style pizza. Try living in a pizza desert like Seattle.
Seattle has a very small Italian population compared to places like Pittsburgh or Youngstown or New York.

Italian cuisine took a while to catch on in this country, the "WPA Guide to New York" published in the 1930's by the federal government describes pizza to readers who never even heard of the exotic delicacy- and during the same time period an Italian American, Ettore Boiardi, began mass marketing raviolis and spaghetti and meatballs to a country that largely never seen it before.

For much the same reason Pittsburghers usually have to go to Taco Bell for Mexican, Seattlers go to Pizza Hut for their Italian. Just a different population mix in the two towns.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,245,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Seattle has a very small Italian population compared to places like Pittsburgh or Youngstown or New York.

...stuff deleted ...

For much the same reason Pittsburghers usually have to go to Taco Bell for Mexican, Seattlers go to Pizza Hut for their Italian. Just a different population mix in the two towns.
I suspect there's a lot of truth in this. But there is excellent pizza in Seattle now. Really excellent. This is just one I know ....

Tom Douglas - Serious Pie Virginia

Old 12-08-2013, 04:57 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,207,060 times
Quote:

And I agree with the other poster - no idea what Pittsburgh style is?
Duh. Fries and slaw on top.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:22 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,087,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Two words: Bea's Taqueria

Old 12-12-2013, 10:24 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,087,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
I guess I'll be the pizza snob here. 99% of the pizza I've had in Pittsburgh is absolute garbage and most pizza places are completely indistinguishable from each other. It's all the same floppy NY style with too much cheese and too little sauce.
Can you at least name the places that you have tried that you consider "garbage"? If you think everything here is NY style then you haven't tried enough places.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:02 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,761 times
Spak Brotherssssssssssssssssss for the win.

Caliente makes a good one too.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:44 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,904,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Two words: Bea's Taqueria
I ate at Casa Reyna yesterday, downstairs from Reyna's Market at the NW corner of Penn & 21st. Best Mexican food I've had in Pgh. I had what they called the Huarache, from the lunch menu: Casa Reyna | Pittsburgh's Premier Mexican Grocery | Wholesale Outlet.

I am going to be eating here a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh