Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 04:53 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,877,195 times

Advertisements

So I went to the local Erie premier of a fracking documentary called Triple Divide. It was a pretty awesome movie and made by Pennsylvanians. The filmmakers really focused on the water pollution associated with fracking and it made me wonder how will this influence population growth in the Pittsburgh region?

On one hand, our governor is very pro fracking and there are many gas wells surrounding Pittsburgh in areas like Butler county and there is a thought that many more wells may be drilled and a pipeline established. This sounds like it could really add to population growth for the region and create many jobs despite the potential negative environmental impact. More jobs usually means an increase of in-migration and could boost the population.

On the other hand, the pollution from fracking may have destroyed several water wells and threatens to pollute the Ohio and Allegheny river watersheds in the near future. In the documentary film I watched it appeared that many PA residents who were getting sick from the water and air pollution associated with these wells were being forced to move away from the fracking and sometimes out of the commonwealth. This is particularly interesting because Pittsburgh has had an air pollution and water quality problem prior to the recent fracking boom.

So politics aside, will fracking in the Pittsburgh region restore the population and lead to the next population boom or result in an unforeseen loss of population? I am not trying to argue for or against fracking in this thread, but to better understand how it might influence the greater Pittsburgh region in terms of population growth and jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 05:37 PM

52 posts, read 74,780 times
I would highly encourage you to also watch "Fracknation" to see the other side of the argument.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugdog View Post
I would highly encourage you to also watch "Fracknation" to see the other side of the argument.
I have already seen it and Gasland 1 and 2. I think I understand the issue pretty well and I have seen enough of the documentaries lol. How do you think fracking will influence the population growth?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,910,699 times
People will (as they are currently) move here for jobs that the gas industry is producing

Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
People will (as they are currently) move here for jobs that the gas industry is producing
Do you think residents will leave due to environmental concerns also?

Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 PM

52 posts, read 74,780 times
So far more are coming in than leaving, by a far stretch.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:15 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,359,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
So I went to the local Erie premier of a fracking documentary called Triple Divide. It was a pretty awesome movie and made by Pennsylvanians. The filmmakers really focused on the water pollution associated with fracking and it made me wonder how will this influence population growth in the Pittsburgh region?

On one hand, our governor is very pro fracking and there are many gas wells surrounding Pittsburgh in areas like Butler county and there is a thought that many more wells may be drilled and a pipeline established. This sounds like it could really add to population growth for the region and create many jobs despite the potential negative environmental impact. More jobs usually means an increase of in-migration and could boost the population.

On the other hand, the pollution from fracking may have destroyed several water wells and threatens to pollute the Ohio and Allegheny river watersheds in the near future. In the documentary film I watched it appeared that many PA residents who were getting sick from the water and air pollution associated with these wells were being forced to move away from the fracking and sometimes out of the commonwealth. This is particularly interesting because Pittsburgh has had an air pollution and water quality problem prior to the recent fracking boom.

So politics aside, will fracking in the Pittsburgh region restore the population and lead to the next population boom or result in an unforeseen loss of population? I am not trying to argue for or against fracking in this thread, but to better understand how it might influence the greater Pittsburgh region in terms of population growth and jobs.
I'm attracted to Pittsburgh, but the fracking all around it is a negative to me. I still like Pittsburgh quite a bit, despite the fracking. In my observation though, Pittsburghers don't seem to have any issue at all with the fracking.

Regarding Pittsburgh attracting residents. I believe this is despite fracking. I think they are people who would have come to Pittsburgh anyways. There is a lot going for Pittsburgh, way beyond 'fracking', and the people attracted to Pittsburgh are coming for those other reasons.

People moving to Pennsylvania for fracking jobs, are probably relocating to the houses around those particular jobs. I don't think they are the same kind of people who want to live right in the city of Pittsburgh. But, I could be wrong...

Old 07-19-2013, 05:43 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,910,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Do you think residents will leave due to environmental concerns also?
No signs of anyone leaving or concerns thus far

Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,302,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

People moving to Pennsylvania for fracking jobs, are probably relocating to the houses around those particular jobs. I don't think they are the same kind of people who want to live right in the city of Pittsburgh. But, I could be wrong...

The gas industry is centered to the south and west of Pittsburgh.

I don't think people moving to the Pittsburgh area would have any problem living within the city limits, but Pittsburgh to Houston PA is a long daily drive, so at least right now, most gas industry people will be locating outside of town.

As the industry expands, I suspect the city of Pittsburgh proper will get more jobs and likewise more residents involved in gas.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,422,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The gas industry is centered to the south and west of Pittsburgh.
Really? I think NE PA may think differently.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh