Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:54 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times

Advertisements

I generally fly whatever is cheapest (after counting for bag fees if needed). Southwest wins any ties or close calls. US Air is still the biggest carrier. Connections depend on where you are going.

Never had a problem with getting to where I was going from Pittsburgh, although once I did drive to DC to fly to the Dominican Republic once and Cabo a second time because it saved a couple hundred bucks each on air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 02:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_of_Bristol View Post
US Air is still the main carrier though? Do you generally connect via Philly?
Only in they carry slightly more passengers than the second and third biggest, but really the passenger count is all spread out among several airlines now.

Connecting through Philly is not advised. Recommend not sticking with one carrier and just choosing best one for wherever you're going. I don't fly right now but if I were I would fly JetBlue to Boston, Southwest probably to Florida, and so on.

For me, at this stage in flying's big hassles and IMO infringements on our rights, I drive, even to Boston, even to Florida! If you still have friends in DC, the best way to go is drive, or take Megabus. You can take Megabus to NYC as well. You can drive to DC in a bit over 4 hours and NYC in under 6. Boston takes about 10. Megabus can be cheaper than driving, even for 2 people (especially given the tolls on the PA Turnpike), but it takes a little longer than driving yourself.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:46 PM

235 posts, read 360,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
For me, at this stage in flying's big hassles and IMO infringements on our rights, I drive, even to Boston, even to Florida! If you still have friends in DC, the best way to go is drive, or take Megabus. You can take Megabus to NYC as well. You can drive to DC in a bit over 4 hours and NYC in under 6. Boston takes about 10. Megabus can be cheaper than driving, even for 2 people (especially given the tolls on the PA Turnpike), but it takes a little longer than driving yourself.
That is one of the things I miss about living up in that area - the driving distances are so much shorter!

It takes forever to get anywhere here in Texas.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 PM

51 posts, read 74,183 times
I am going to relocate to the Pittsburgh also in the near future. Waiting for house to sale .. It is like any other city good and bad just gotta think before you buy in to a house...I have family there but go figure they live in the next county over Westmorland County. I also look at the City Data on the smaller cities that are around the Pittsburgh area. It will give you some insight on the average income crime ect ect. But there is nothing better than talking with people that reside in the city.. Best of luck on you're relocation..

Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd76539 View Post
I am going to relocate to the Pittsburgh also in the near future. Waiting for house to sale .. It is like any other city good and bad just gotta think before you buy in to a house...I have family there but go figure they live in the next county over Westmorland County. I also look at the City Data on the smaller cities that are around the Pittsburgh area. It will give you some insight on the average income crime ect ect. But there is nothing better than talking with people that reside in the city.. Best of luck on you're relocation..
Appreciate it! Good luck on your move as well.

Last edited by Chicken_of_Bristol; 07-10-2013 at 08:58 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
What is a Chicken of Bristol, Chicken_of_Bristol?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What is a Chicken of Bristol, Chicken_of_Bristol?

The Book of the Film - YouTube

Brave Sir Robin ran away,
Bravely ran away, away.
When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
And gallantly, he chickened out. Bravely taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat,
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 PM

99 posts, read 147,058 times
Houston to Canonsburg, huh? Shale industry I presume!

If I was you, and presumably making Houston money in Pittsburgh, I would buy two houses. Seriously

your commuting house 3 options

Cheaper

307 North St, McDonald, PA 15057 (MLS# 953839) - McDonald PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

Old and Charming

132 Fourth Street, McDonald, PA 15057 (MLS# 958437) - McDonald PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

Newer construction

102 Pointe West, North Fayette, PA 15057 (MLS# 967993) - North Fayette PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

and your lifestyle house

older rowhome

4036 Howley Street, Bloomfield, PA 15224 (MLS# 962436) - Bloomfield PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

newer with garage

4006 Arsenal, Lawrenceville, PA 15201 (MLS# 967251) - Lawrenceville PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

ten year tax abatement

169 38Th Street, Lawrenceville, PA 15201 (MLS# 948347) - Lawrenceville PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

but that's if I was you, which I (we're) not.

Sir Robin ran away...bravely ran away away...

Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbeard89 View Post
Houston to Canonsburg, huh? Shale industry I presume!

If I was you, and presumably making Houston money in Pittsburgh, I would buy two houses. Seriously

your commuting house 3 options

Cheaper

307 North St, McDonald, PA 15057 (MLS# 953839) - McDonald PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

Old and Charming

132 Fourth Street, McDonald, PA 15057 (MLS# 958437) - McDonald PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

Newer construction

102 Pointe West, North Fayette, PA 15057 (MLS# 967993) - North Fayette PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

and your lifestyle house

older rowhome

4036 Howley Street, Bloomfield, PA 15224 (MLS# 962436) - Bloomfield PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

newer with garage

4006 Arsenal, Lawrenceville, PA 15201 (MLS# 967251) - Lawrenceville PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

ten year tax abatement

169 38Th Street, Lawrenceville, PA 15201 (MLS# 948347) - Lawrenceville PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

but that's if I was you, which I (we're) not.

Sir Robin ran away...bravely ran away away...
I wish I could.

Unfortunately the wife and I have combined student loans and other related debt to rival at one of those houses. So, it will be awhile before we can afford two houses. We can barely afford one right now!

That's part of the reason for the job change - better pay and better long-term opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh