Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,740 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I registered on the forum just to ask this haha

Anyways I'm a 17 year old junior moving from Conneticut and I'll be living in Gibsonia/Wexford/Pine, whatever lol I've heard all 3. Anyways I'm moving in the beginning of April & worried about starting a new school and all that so I'm trying to do my research to find out what I'll be surrounded by. I've lived in conn. my whole life and hated it because I've been surrounded and raised by snobs. I'll be living with my dad, stepmom, and their two sons. Their both lacrosse jocks who I plan on not hanging out with so I can't wait to make new friends. I'm hoping it's a little more lax and laid back in PA and have convinced my dad not to send me to catholic school but I really don't want to be around the same kind of people. What are the people who live around/go to pine richland like? I'll be living in the north park heights so I'm already knowing what to expect with that but is the whole area like that? I want to meet NORMAL people raised in NORMAL homes. I don't want friends who only care about how much their bag costs and the fact that their parents have houses here there and the third. Will I be disappointed? Are there cool places to hangout for someone my age? I also want to find a job! Hows the job market (for minors)? Are there any walmarts or targets or even subways or something that would even hire me because of my age? That was a huge problem where I'm from. People didn't want to hire me because I'm 17, in fact I got told once in an interview for a boutique that there's people out here who need jobs more than someone like me. Which is understandable, but talk about rude. Are people here like that? Are there lots of gyms and general spots that I can hangout at to meet new people? I do have my license and a car so driving isnt an issue if I need to go into the city sometimes but it'd be much more convenient to be able to do these things closer to where I live. What's the night life like? I'll be 18 in June and I have a fake id, not good I know lol, but I'm stoked that I'll live less than an hour from the city and be able to go places without going thru a half tank of gas. I'm not a big drinker btw but I like chill places like hookah bars. I also like to go to shows, local bands and things like that, do you have alot of events like that in Pittsburgh? Places with open mics and what not? Please list me some if so!! Thats all I can think of right now but thanks a bunch in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 08:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Oh, please, try to use paragraphs. That big lump of letters was hard to read.

You'll easily find a teenager/college student type job here! Guaranteed! You will be living close the a suburban shopping area where there will be many options.

While Pine Richland is one of our more affluent areas, it is in no way the most affluent area. And Pittsburgh's affluent people can't come close to the snobs in Connecticut, where even people without money can be snobbier than Pittsburghers. I know this because my son has met his fair share of snobby kids from Connecticut over his past two years living in New England.

Hookah bars are in town in the Strip District and other neighborhoods. Not sure how popular they are. I just asked a young lady who is staying at my house and she says she hears of people going to them. There's a small music venue in Millvale PA called Mr. Smalls that has under 21 events.

You're going to be in suburbia where there isn't much for teenagers to do, but you will be able to find events and people that are similar to your interests within the metro area. You can easily be in the city within 30 minutes on the evenings and weekends.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixelaa View Post

Anyways I'm a 17 year old junior moving from Conneticut and I'll be living in Gibsonia/Wexford/Pine, whatever lol I've heard all 3. Anyways I'm moving in the beginning of April & worried about starting a new school and all that so I'm trying to do my research to find out what I'll be surrounded by. I've lived in conn. my whole life and hated it because I've been surrounded and raised by snobs. I'll be living with my dad, stepmom, and their two sons. Their both lacrosse jocks who I plan on not hanging out with so I can't wait to make new friends. I'm hoping it's a little more lax and laid back in PA and have convinced my dad not to send me to catholic school but I really don't want to be around the same kind of people. What are the people who live around/go to pine richland like? I'll be living in the north park heights so I'm already knowing what to expect with that but is the whole area like that? I want to meet NORMAL people raised in NORMAL homes. I don't want friends who only care about how much their bag costs and the fact that their parents have houses here there and the third. Will I be disappointed? Are there cool places to hangout for someone my age? I also want to find a job! Hows the job market (for minors)? Are there any walmarts or targets or even subways or something that would even hire me because of my age? That was a huge problem where I'm from. People didn't want to hire me because I'm 17, in fact I got told once in an interview for a boutique that there's people out here who need jobs more than someone like me. Which is understandable, but talk about rude. Are people here like that? Are there lots of gyms and general spots that I can hangout at to meet new people? I do have my license and a car so driving isnt an issue if I need to go into the city sometimes but it'd be much more convenient to be able to do these things closer to where I live. What's the night life like? I'll be 18 in June and I have a fake id, not good I know lol, but I'm stoked that I'll live less than an hour from the city and be able to go places without going thru a half tank of gas. I'm not a big drinker btw but I like chill places like hookah bars. I also like to go to shows, local bands and things like that, do you have alot of events like that in Pittsburgh? Places with open mics and what not? Please list me some if so!! Thats all I can think of right now but thanks a bunch in advance
Up until about 15-20 years ago, Pine Township (where you will be living) was a very rural area. The high school, that you will be attending, was a prime deer hunting area surrounded by an apple orchard, for many years. The high school was built when the Pine-Richland School District experienced major growth and the community became the fastest growing in Allegheny County. Those moving into the district tended to be more affluent, and the homes constructed there reflect this wealth. Your neighborhood in the Heights of North Park (with the cemetery in the middle) was one of the earliest and most affluent.

From where your house is located, it will take you about 15-20 minutes to get to the commercial district (Rte 19) of Pine and probably about 30 minutes to get to Ross Park Mall area- in nearly the opposite direction. You should not have any real problem finding a job along the Route 19 corridor, especially if you are willing to work in the restaurants. I don't think that I would try the fake ID route- if caught, the consequences can be very severe in PA, and really not worth gambling with your future. The Oxford Club is probably the most popular gym, and it is located in the more commercial area of Pine.

I have close family living in Pine Township, and although I do not live in the community, I can probably get some additional answers to your questions by asking . If I can help, you can private message me through this forum. Welcome to Pennsylvania!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 7,740 times
Thank you guys so much for replying! Apologies about the long paragraph too, I'll keep that in mind for future posts haha. I'm really excited that there's a venue with alot of 21 and under shows. I'm not that big on being a rebel so the less I have to use my id the better and that's really exciting because there's nothing like that where I'm from.

I've also heard good things about the strip, lots of clubs and cool cafes. Same with the south side but the south side seems more 21+, I've only been a couple times when visiting my dad we just went to dinner at a nice sushi/Japanese place there after a football game.

I'm glad everything is as close as I remembered it, I'd hoped I wasn't imagining things and that I didn't get replies like 'lol 35 mins from the city? good luck' and I didn't! Huge plus! I'm really excited. Hopes was dead on with most of the people, with or without money from Conn. being disgustingly snobbish so I'm happy I'll have a change of scenery. You guys eased my fears a bit and I'm a ton more optimistic about moving now. Again thanks sooooo much and if anyone else has anything to add please do!!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
You're welcome.

Here's a link to Mr. Smalls.

At first, you'll meet most potential friends at school or work so try to pick a job at a place with many teenage employees instead of a place where you're the only one on duty. Even though the shopping areas aren't super close, teenagers from the Richland area drove to McKnight road for work decades and decades ago, long before there was a Cranberry shopping area.

If you don't want to drive that far or can't land a job at the mall, there are plenty of teenagers working at the local Giant Eagle (grocery store) up your way, any of the full service restaurants, and definitely the fast food restaurants. You'll have less coworkers at a Subway, ice cream shop, or convenience store so I'd try to avoid applying at those types of places. Once you meet a few people at school and work, you'll meet even more people through them.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,104 times
Hi Sixelaa,
I've never posted here before, but I really wanted to reply to you! I am a mom of three little kids and I live in Wexford (in the Pine Richland school district). I've lived here for 6 years and know the area pretty well. My next door neighbor (who is also our babysitter) is almost 17 and will be a senior next year at Pine Richland High School so I know a little bit about the fun stuff to do for teenagers. I also moved here from New England (Nashua, NH), so I know how this area compares.

First off, I want to say that you sound like a nice person with a good concept of what is important and what isn't. I'm so glad to know there are people like you who haven't bought into the whole "more money makes you more worthy" attitude.

As far as jobs, there are a LOT of restaurants, little shops, big stores (like Target and Giant Eagle-which is the big grocery store around here) that are totally willing to hire teenagers. Our babysitter works at a restaurant called Atria's in Wexford. I've also seen a lot of teenagers working at Panera and Bounce U (which is a kid's bouncy house playplace in Wexford). If you're interested, you should consider babysitting, too, because you won't have to pay taxes and people pay pretty well for babysitting around here (I pay my 16 year old babysitter $10 an hour to watch 2 kids).

As for nightlife.... It depends on what you like. Any really cool clubs or bars or music venues will be closer to downtown, which is about a 20-30 minute drive. The only thing I would say is that if you're going downtown at night to bring along some friends. Pittsburgh isn't super dangerous, but any 16 year old girl should be extra careful (sorry, that was the mom in me being overprotective). Closer to home.... they actually JUST put in a new hookah bar right in Wexford and I hear it's pretty cool! Moderator cut: link removed, please wait with links till you have at least 10 posts
There are also a lot of restaurants and coffee shops that are open late on the weekends. There is a cool pizza place that has live music on the weekends sometimes. Moderator cut: link removed, please wait with links till you have at least 10 posts
A lot of teenagers (with money) belong to the Oxford Athletic Club, which is a very popular gym in the area. Moderator cut: link removed, please wait with links till you have at least 10 posts
They have a very cool restaurant/bar behind the gym that has an outdoor sand area and cool swings and a cabana bar. Moderator cut: link removed, please wait with links till you have at least 10 posts

So the people here CAN be kind of snobish, especially about money. But you can definitely find some people who are not like that. Here's the thing.... the Pine Richland school district is made up of two districts that come together, Pine and Richland (obviously, lol). Pine is a little wealthier (which is where you'll be living) and Richland is a little less wealthy. Richland actually has some areas that have government subsidized housing. So if you keep running into kids that are snobby and "class-ist" than just keep looking and you'll find some nice, laid back, down to earth people. I will also tell you that academics are VERY stressed and VERY competitive around here. Pine Richland High School is very nice and has a lot of cool classes and extra-curricular activities so you should be able to find something that suits you.

I hope that helps a little. Good luck and I really hope you enjoy life here!!

Last edited by Yac; 03-28-2013 at 04:35 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,922,453 times
Quote:

Anyways I'm a 17 year old junior moving from Conneticut and I'll be living in Gibsonia/Wexford/Pine, whatever lol I've heard all 3. Anyways I'm moving in the beginning of April & worried about starting a new school and all that so I'm trying to do my research to find out what I'll be surrounded by. I've lived in conn. my whole life and hated it because I've been surrounded and raised by snobs. I'll be living with my dad, stepmom, and their two sons. Their both lacrosse jocks who I plan on not hanging out with so I can't wait to make new friends. I'm hoping it's a little more lax and laid back in PA and have convinced my dad not to send me to catholic school but I really don't want to be around the same kind of people. What are the people who live around/go to pine richland like? I'll be living in the north park heights so I'm already knowing what to expect with that but is the whole area like that? I want to meet NORMAL people raised in NORMAL homes. I don't want friends who only care about how much their bag costs and the fact that their parents have houses here there and the third.
Pittsburgh has very few snobby people in general. Our worst don't compare to old east coast money snobs. Where I grew up, Pine Richland is considered to be a rich area, but its mainly upper middle class. It was rural til about 5 years ago. Don't worry about the snob factor. Pine Richland is a large district, you'll make plenty of down to earth friends.

Quote:
Will I be disappointed?
I doubt it.

Quote:
Are there cool places to hangout for someone my age?
Not in Pine Richland. Hookah bars you need to be 18 to get into. They will card you, trust me. I look old for my age, and I went to one last weekend and got carded. I'm almost 24 for your reference. There is an under-21 club called "Club ZOO". I went when I was younger, but it was over-run by thug looking city kids. Once you are 18 you'll be able to go to Whim Nightclub on Thursdays, which was much for fun in my opinion.

Quote:
I also want to find a job! Hows the job market (for minors)? Are there any walmarts or targets or even subways or something that would even hire me because of my age? That was a huge problem where I'm from. People didn't want to hire me because I'm 17, in fact I got told once in an interview for a boutique that there's people out here who need jobs more than someone like me. Which is understandable, but talk about rude. Are people here like that?
You will get a job if you look for it. Guaranteed.

Quote:
Are there lots of gyms and general spots that I can hangout at to meet new people? I do have my license and a car so driving isnt an issue if I need to go into the city sometimes but it'd be much more convenient to be able to do these things closer to where I live.
Pine Richland is suburbia, next to Cranberry and Ross township. They'll be plenty of gyms/coffee shops/etc in your area.

Quote:
What's the night life like? I'll be 18 in June and I have a fake id, not good I know lol, but I'm stoked that I'll live less than an hour from the city and be able to go places without going thru a half tank of gas. I'm not a big drinker btw but I like chill places like hookah bars. I also like to go to shows, local bands and things like that, do you have alot of events like that in Pittsburgh? Places with open mics and what not? Please list me some if so!! Thats all I can think of right now but thanks a bunch in advance
Pittsburgh's night life (some was described above) is very good. Oakland is full of 18-22 year olds, due to the University of Pitttsburgh, Carnegie Mellon U, and Carlow. There are plenty of things to do for your age that are more "legal" than trying to use a fake ID to get into a bar, and will not risk your future. Southside is more for the 21+ crowd and your fake probably won't work there anyway. Bouncers are very strict and there has been serious cracking down in the SS recently.

Good luck with your move!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,694,042 times
If you are looking for a summer job that caters to young folks, you might want to check out the local summer camps. Summer camp counselors don't get paid all that well, but it is usually a fun job, and you would get to meet other kids your age.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,702 times
I don't think that you will find the level of snobbishness in PR anywhere near what you are used to in CT. That is not to say that you will not find some very snobby attitudes here but that you will most likely find it amusing that they will consider themselves superior over something like a Coach bag. Its all relative. There is a lot of new money in Pine so you will get that lack of class that often will come with that. You will also find a prevailing attitude amond the "Pine" part of the district that they are better than the Richland side. The previous post by Wexford Mom is a good example of this-her need to point out that there are several subsidized housing areas in Richland (there is 1 BTW) to me says it all. Most people who live in Richland don't even know its there thats how out of the way it is but every one in Pine knows about it-funny.

You sound very down to earth and I do know that there are many kids like you in the HS so you will find your group-don't worry. There should be plenty of job opportunities as well considering 19 is right there and runs all the way up into Cranberry with a diverse selection of stores/restaurants. You sound mature for your age so that should be a real plus for you as well.

There is a lot going on in the Oakland/Southside area for young people however I am not sure the northern suburban kids are driving down there. Its just not super easy to get to like it would be from other areas of PGH. Oxford Athletic is right there as well as a beautiful YMCA if you are looking for a more down to earth experience while working out.

Overall though I have to say that Pittsburgh is a great city and I do think that you are going to really like it here.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,922,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRparent View Post
You will also find a prevailing attitude amond the "Pine" part of the district that they are better than the Richland side. The previous post by Wexford Mom is a good example of this-her need to point out that there are several subsidized housing areas in Richland (there is 1 BTW) to me says it all. Most people who live in Richland don't even know its there thats how out of the way it is but every one in Pine knows about it-funny.
Are you kidding me? Really? Wow. People think that's a reason not live in one of the wealthiest reasons in the area? HA hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh