Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 3,216 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Pittsburgh. It's been awhile since I've been to Pittsburgh, but I am trying to find an area that is within a 30 - 45 minute drive to downtown. I love to hunt and fish and enjoy outdoor activities. My wife would enjoy an area that is still close enough to shopping and dining. Of course, a safe community is important. Any suggestions for towns or areas would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
Until you meet someone with property to hunt, you'll be limited to hunting the state game lands. Allegheny County only has game lands near Wexford, PA. It's at the very far north of Allegheny County and within your travel time. There are many state game lands in the counties north of Allegheny County.

You didn't mention what type of fishing you like. Not far from Wexford, there is Moraine State Park in Butler County for lake fishing just to the north in Butler County. If you prefer fly fishing, there are streams everywhere.

I recommend you focus your search in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh. The best shopping area with an upscale mall is McKnight Road in Ross Township. Pick a place to live between Ross, Township and Wexford. Or chose to live just outside of Allegheny County in Cranberry Township which is in Butler County. There isn't a real mall there but it has lots of strip malls. Basically, any township near McKnight Road, Route 19, I-279, I-79 north of Pittsburgh. All of these areas are well within your commute requirements.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,188,761 times
I would suggest looking at areas around Raccoon Creek State Park. We have friends who just moved out in that direction. It is very rural, 30-40 mins from town via 376, and within 15-20 minutes of both the Beaver Valley and Robinson shopping areas.

Also close to state game lands in Beaver Co.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
Also close to state game lands in Beaver Co.
There is only one game land is Beaver, but Washington isn't far from Raccoon State Park and it has 6.

Overall, there are way more state game lands to the north in counties along the I-79 corridor.

pennsylvania state gamelands - Google Maps

Here's a breakdown of state game lands via hubby reading it off the state website.

Washington County 6
Butler County 2
Venango 5
Crawford 10
Mercer 5
Beaver 3
Indiana 6
Armstrong 6
Westmoreland 1
Green 2
Fayette 4
Somerset 6

Some might be little ones so you'll need to check the acres for each one.

Since he's a hunter, I think it would be wise to not situate himself between the city of Pittsburgh and a border of Ohio or WV. That sort of boxes him in with a PA hunting license. He'll have many more hunting options to the north (and perhaps east if he wants to travel farther) simply because the PA border is farther away in those directions.

The other great thing about the north is that Lake Erie is 2 hours way from Wexford if he wants to do some real lake fishing. There is salmon fishing in the streams up there in the in the winter too. Many of my husband's friends do weekend trips to the Erie area for fishing. Also, in addition to the game lands already mentioned, Erie County has 10 state game lands.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-03-2013 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 10:13 AM

Agreed, there are more, and larger, game lands as one goes north. But, at least the few game lands in Beaver appear to be of decent size (especially the ones near Ohioville and the state line). I think going west (once past Robinson/the airport) or north will get you to a rural area as quickly as possible. South and east, not so much.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
Agreed, there are more, and larger, game lands as one goes north. But, at least the few game lands in Beaver appear to be of decent size (especially the ones near Ohioville and the state line). I think going west (once past Robinson/the airport) or north will get you to a rural area as quickly as possible. South and east, not so much.
The guy is an outdoorsman. He wants access to the best hunting and fishing. He's not looking for the easiest solution.

I'm recommending he buy/live at the northern part of Allegheny County near I-79 so he has quick access to everything north. That's an easy commute into Downtown. Greg does it every day, right Greg?

As I mentioned in my second post, Lake Erie and salmon fishing is a huge attraction I forgot to list in my first post that is most easily accessed from the north.

My husband bought 100 acres in Venango County because good hunting and fishing were important to him and his friends. We could have gone any direction. Convenience to our house wasn't a factor since it is a weekend place, but the northern suburbs will most certainly be the most convenient to all hunting and fishing available in the many counties north of Allegheny County.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-03-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 AM

I agree, north is great. Just trying to point out another option.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 AM

Totally understand. I just wouldn't want to be boxed in between Pittsburgh suburbs and Ohio and WV state lines.

That really makes for a longer drive if you want to have a larger selection.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 3,216 times
Thanks for the great information. I will look in the north area of Pittsburgh. I use to do a lot of trout and bass fishing several years ago. I like the idea about being only a couple hours away from Lake Erie. I appreciate all the help. If anything else comes to mind, I would appreciate you letting me know! Thanks again!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 AM

37 posts, read 47,032 times
I'll take the opposite view.

Head for the east end of Pittsburgh. A house in Regent Square, Point Breeze area, maybe Squirrel Hill, with a small yard but close to Frick Park. No, you can't hunt there but it's great for getting outdoors.

Then its an easy drive on the Parkway to the PA Turnpike and an hour + and you're in the Laurel Highlands. Huge amounts of public land including State Forests, State Parks, and State Game Lands. The combination of these centered on Ohiopyle State Park is upwards of 50,000 acres. Great hunting for deer, bear, turkey, and small game. Tourt fishing is some of the finest in the region on the Middle Yough, Laurel Hill Creek, and White's Creek. Deep water fishing on the Yough Lake. Nearly 400 miles of hiking trails. Outstanding whitewater kayaking and rafting on the Middle and Lower Yough. Skiing, cross-country and downhill, in the winter. Biking on 150+ miles of the Great Allegheny Passage between Cumberland, MD and Pittsburgh. Mountain biking. All in a beautiful mountain setting.

paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh