Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 23,621 times

Advertisements

We just moved in July and don't have a TV or cable. We don't generally care much about not having TV service but we do really like watching the Olympics. I know NBC is pretty notorious about not streaming much of the games and definitely not live-streaming. Are there any bars that would definitely be playing the bigger Olympics events (swimming, track, gymnastics, etc., and the opening/closing ceremonies)? Or any bars that we could probably go to and ask to watch it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,049,132 times
I'd try Silky's in Squirrel Hill.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 PM

912 posts, read 1,735,349 times
NBC will be live streaming every event this year. The catch is you have to be a cable/satellite subscriber to access it. If I were you, I'd ask a friend who has cable to register on the live streaming site and give you their username and password to use. I just registered for it and looks like you only have to verify your subscription once and then you can sign on from other devices.

There will most certainly be other online streams not affiliated with NBC, especially for the big events. Some of them might be the NBC feed set up as a live stream from someone in America, but there should be streams from other countries as well, in case NBC tries to shut down people streaming their feed. I'd post some links to my favorite sports streaming sites, but that's probably a violation of the rules here. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding them though. The quality will vary, but I've streamed NFL games that look as good as any online video.

I just moved here a little over a month ago, so I don't know exactly which bars will be showing the games. However, I do know that the Rock Bottom Brewery at the Waterfront is the "home base" bar for the Pittsburgh chapter of the American Outlaws (a supports group for the United States National Soccer Team). That means that the bar shows every US national team match. Maybe they'll be showing the Olympic events as well? Might be worth looking into.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:07 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,097,471 times
Coppertops (formerly "The Bar") @ 2132 East Carson in the South Side is usually very accommodating when it comes to watching a particular sporting event. They've got like 9 screens there and it's usually not too crowded. Often you can get the audio as well.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,831,780 times
Silky's in Bloomfield

Old 07-19-2012, 10:15 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,891,939 times
I would think that any bar with multiple TVs will be running the Olympic coverage and for those with just 1, would be running coverage whenever there is no pirates games.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:14 PM

53 posts, read 124,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

+1 Silkys...love going there!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,020,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It is an okay place with TVs everywhere, but I don't think if you really want to watch an event, it would be hard to do. They will play music over the Olympics if someone drops money in the box. It is a cool place Brian, and maybe it is a good suggestion if volume means nothing. If you want to hear announcers, I would look elsewhere. Good suggestion though, Brian.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:18 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,831,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
If you want to hear announcers, I would look elsewhere.
Where?

Old 07-19-2012, 01:27 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,020,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Where?
That is a good question. Oddly, you might consider the Piper's Pub. They have the volume on the TVs there most of the time. I am not sure. Small local bars might be the best bet. Silky's is a high volume big bar with a lot of people and a lot of TV's. I can't imagine they would have volume on one event. I hate to suggest this place, BUT Carnivore's in Oakmont has TV's at booths and I believe you can control your own volume. I don't go there because... well I can't say, but you could call them and find out. That way you can actually change the channel to what you want and listen to it. I am not 100% sure though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh