Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 AM

675 posts, read 2,101,111 times

Advertisements

I've been eagerly anticipating the completion of the Point State Park renovations, and I've been exploring parts of the park I've never been in the process. I recently parked in the southeast lot and wandered around in that area only to find that it hasn't been touched. Does anyone know if there are any plans to renovate that corner of the park? Originally, in Pfaffman's vision plan, that corner was to be converted to green space, but it is awfully neglected looking right now, and there doesn't seem to be any mention of it in newer plans. Anyone know anything I don't? Is this spot (where the old wall is, the pedestrian tunnel, the parking lot, etc.) destined to further decay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,053,532 times
I think there are still plans to do something, but I suspect it would be in conjunction with doing the path over to the Mon Wharf, which last I knew was still awaiting funding.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think there are still plans to do something, but I suspect it would be in conjunction with doing the path over to the Mon Wharf, which last I knew was still awaiting funding.
Ok, that makes sense. You'd think with how well organized sites like Riverlife are that this information would be readily available, but it doesn't seem to be geared toward enthusiasts, rather toward people who are looking for tidbits of information about what's upcoming.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM

I've long thought it would be cool if they could continue that paved outline of the old fort the entire way around so that the shape of it is obvious looking at it from Google Earth.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
You'd think with how well organized sites like Riverlife are that this information would be readily available, but it doesn't seem to be geared toward enthusiasts, rather toward people who are looking for tidbits of information about what's upcoming.
Their website could definitely use some work.

Anyway, here is the relevant page:

Point State Park Connector

Rendering:

Old 07-06-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Their website could definitely use some work.

Anyway, here is the relevant page:

Rendering:
Hmm, that section is mysteriously devoid of color in that image, which tells me that it's not included in these plans. Are you aware of any information that negates that assumption?

EDIT: Although, upon further inspection, there are trees in that rendering that aren't there IRL, so maybe they will be sprucing that up a bit. Or maybe that's just decoration.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM

This image shows the old design of the cafe, along with the two pedestrian tunnels that I believe have fallen victim to the chopping block. It also shows a line of trees planted along I-376, which would alone make the area feel much nicer, but I wonder if that's been scrapped as well. I think with these trees and maybe some new pavement and cleaning this area could feel much less neglected.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:24 PM

I guess it really doesn't matter since they've long since decided on their plans, but I've always thought that with some very minor changes that corner of the park could become much better utilized. For example, it would make for a nice little entrance to the park if there were just some little steps or a ramp right here. For those of you who've never been right here, there's a pedestrian tunnel that goes under 376 here, and you have to walk through the utility area outside the museum to get to the main lawn area. As it stands, this grassy area is completely wasted as no one is inclined to ever go there.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Hmm, that section is mysteriously devoid of color in that image, which tells me that it's not included in these plans. Are you aware of any information that negates that assumption?
Well, as noted at that link, the Mon Wharf connector is just one part of what would be the final phase of the overall Park renovations. So I am inferring that final phase would include work on that area in general. But I am not aware of any recent releases of plans for that area, and it does appear the old plans are no longer operative.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Well, as noted at that link, the Mon Wharf connector is just one part of what would be the final phase of the overall Park renovations. So I am inferring that final phase would include work on that area in general. But I am not aware of any recent releases of plans for that area, and it does appear the old plans are no longer operative.
Cool, thanks. I guess only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh