Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:30 PM

85 posts, read 373,547 times

Advertisements

I moved from Pittsburgh to Columbus, Ohio 13 years ago for hubby's schooling. We had planned to go back right after he finished his MBA, but we never made it. Of course the stakes are higher now with kids and a house to consider, but we're still planning on moving back to Pittsburgh.

So, my question is, for those of you who have lived in Pittsburgh or Columbus (or are pretty familiar with both cities, at least), how would you compare the two cities? What do you like about each city? Dislike?

Personally, it seems to me that the economy and job situation, etc. is much better in Columbus (the main reason we're still here in fact), but I can not get used to the flat, boring landscape here, and miss the unique topography, cool neighborhoods and areas of Pittsburgh, and just the general vibe of the Burgh.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 02:12 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,039 times
Quote:
So, my question is, for those of you who have lived in Pittsburgh or Columbus (or are pretty familiar with both cities, at least), how would you compare the two cities? What do you like about each city? Dislike?
I personally think Columbus is a very nice city and I've enjoyed my several visits a lot. But I wouldn't want to live there. It is the absolute epitome of urban sprawl, and I hate that.

I am completely with you, it has a flat and boring topography! I think many people would never even realize topography even matters. I think living in Pittsburgh and even Pennsylvania with the beautiful and elegant landscaping changed us, and when we go someplace boring it is really noticeable and glaring to us. I feel that way, anyway. Other people who are used to flat and boring I guess really don't know it's flat and boring, now do they? LOL

I think out of all the cities in Ohio, Pittsburgh is most similar to Cleveland. Cincinnati is a step below Pittsburgh, in my opinion. But Pennsylvania doesn't really have an equivalent to Columbus which is kind of an up-and-coming, youthful city. It's a shame. I imagine years down the road, as more people stay, work, and live in University Park, it might someday turn into more of a Columbus, but it certainly hasn't yet. Then again, we do have a city that can only be compared to a handful of cities in the country due to it's size and grandeur, and that is Philadelphia. Ohio has nothing like that, haha.

Last edited by guylocke; 09-22-2007 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-22-2007, 02:25 PM

I forgot to mention that my brother and his ex-girlfriend lived in Columbus for about two years as she was attending Ohio State for veterinary school. He enjoyed his time there, too, a lot. But he has since come home and said he has no desire to leave Pittsburgh again. So I guess that means he likes it here better.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I used to live in Champaign, IL which is the epitome of FLAT. There is even a small town in Champaign Co. named Flatville. One of my co-workers, who was originally from Southern Illinois, where it is a tad less flat took a trip to Columbus and came back with a glowing account of how hilly it is there! So it is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't been to Columbus for a long time. Used to drive through it a lot when I lived in Champaign and drove back to Pgh.

I will say this (which I think I have said before, though maybe in a different way):

1. If you are going to move back, do it before your kids get much older. They don't have the background that you do, may think you're crazy for wanting to move, even if you think it's to a better place. (And they may put up quite a fuss if they have to move schools in middle/high school.)

2. Don't spend all your energy trying to move back to Pittsburgh. I know you have posted before about how you have tried to fit in and done all the "right" things to make Columbus your home (and I've been there, done that), but life is too short to spend all your time trying to go somewhere else. (Also from experience) You can always retire there.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:30 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,551 times
I actually lived in Columbus,OH for a few weeks and was going to go to OSU before moving here to go to Robert Morris (in terms of universities, that's about as apples and oranges as you can get,but oh well). Granted, I've only lived there for a little under a month and here only about two months, but I definitely noticed a huge difference in the two cities. The largest to me was a lack of identity in Columbus. For example, there are certain traits, lifestyles, and overall ways of doing things in life in general that I believe are unique to Pittsburgh. I didn't find many of those things in Columbus. In other words, if cities were restaurants, Columbus would be a national chain, whereas Pittsburgh would be a Mom and Pop store with its own unique way of doing things. I don't mean to offend anyone from Central OH saying that, but it's honestly one of the things as both a college student and aspiring writer that drew me not so much away from Columbus, but more so towards the Burgh'. I can't speak on the economies and politics because I'm not really up on those things; but in terms of vibe, identity, and lifestyle, Pittsburgh and Columbus are night and day in my experiences in both places.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:47 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,722 times
Columbus is your generic American city, but Pittsburgh is totally unique! Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of people like generic nowadays.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:52 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burghgirl View Post
I moved from Pittsburgh to Columbus, Ohio 13 years ago for hubby's schooling. We had planned to go back right after he finished his MBA, but we never made it. Of course the stakes are higher now with kids and a house to consider, but we're still planning on moving back to Pittsburgh.

Personally, it seems to me that the economy and job situation, etc. is much better in Columbus (the main reason we're still here in fact), but I can not get used to the flat, boring landscape here, and miss the unique topography, cool neighborhoods and areas of Pittsburgh, and just the general vibe of the Burgh.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter!
I haven't been in Columbus since about 1975... when we packed up my sister and moved her home upon her graduation from Ohio State....

But I can say Columbus is where I first had a Burger King Whopper... we didn't have them in Pittsburgh.... and it's still my favorite fast food burger.

That and the funny pronunciations of street names. They were odd Indian names. I rode back from Columbus with my big sister, my favorite sister, and who was coming home to stay in our very room again. And she'd say as we drove past a street sign -- how do you say that -- i'd say it wrong and she'd say no -- it's ... whatever and we'd laugh!!

So my memories of Columbus were fond.... although my sister was VERY happy to get back to Pittsburgh and still lives there -- in Ben Avon.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
had a Burger King Whopper... we didn't have them in Pittsburgh.... and it's still my favorite fast food burger.
Ditto!

Quote:
In other words, if cities were restaurants, Columbus would be a national chain, whereas Pittsburgh would be a Mom and Pop store with its own unique way of doing things.
Interesting analogy, I agree with that!

Old 09-23-2007, 02:46 PM

85 posts, read 373,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I personally think Columbus is a very nice city and I've enjoyed my several visits a lot. But I wouldn't want to live there. It is the absolute epitome of urban sprawl, and I hate that.
Okay, this is exactly how I feel about Columbus, except I'm stuck here!

And, good advice, Pittnurse. Yes, I think you've made those suggestions before to me (not to get too focused on moving back to Pittsburgh, etc.) but I probably needed to hear it again. However, your other piece of advice (that we should move before the kids get too much older) is what makes me so focused on moving back soon! I guess I somehow need to find a balance between the two.

DH just applied for a position at US Air. I'll probably start a new thread about that though...

Old 09-23-2007, 03:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I wish him luck! How old are your kids anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh