Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:45 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,095,148 times

Advertisements

This is a fascinating map that one could realistically spend hours analyzing. It is a color shaded map showing the regions of the country that have the highest concentrations of underwater mortgages.

Here are some interesting details that I found:
  • The stark changes across the border of Ohio and PA.
  • The interior northeast down through appalacia as a whole skipping the housing crisis
  • There appear to be 4 distinct regions that were hit the hardest, though not many similarities exist between the regions.
  • Zooming in to the Pittsburgh region, our exurbs appear to be the ONLY ones that were completely unaffected by the housing crisis for a major metropolitan area
  • Western PA appears to be an oasis between some struggling regions
  • Zoom in on Detroit (or Las Vegas), just do it for the amazement factor.

US Housing Crisis - Negative Equity Infographic - Zillow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,846,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
[*]Zoom in on Detroit (or Las Vegas), just do it for the amazement factor.

Neat map. It's gonna take a long time to untangle the mess in Detroit and Cleveland. The underwater mortgages, job loss, population flight... it's a scary situation in those areas.

The hardest-hit areas in PA are the ridiculous long-distance exurbs that sprang up in recent years serving NYC (Pike/Monroe) and DC/Balt (Adams/Franklin/York).

Old 05-31-2012, 02:03 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,145,788 times
My father in Detroit is assembling a little empire of rental properties, mostly through short sales.

Meanwhile, he keeps asking us how much we have lost on our house (I guess my answer isn't credible in his view).

Old 05-31-2012, 02:04 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,700,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Here are some interesting details that I found:
  • The stark changes across the border of Ohio and PA.
Didn't we observe a similar dynamic is some other type of map? Anyone remember what that was?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:19 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,095,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Neat map. It's gonna take a long time to untangle the mess in Detroit and Cleveland. The underwater mortgages, job loss, population flight... it's a scary situation in those areas.

The hardest-hit areas in PA are the ridiculous long-distance exurbs that sprang up in recent years serving NYC (Pike/Monroe) and DC/Balt (Adams/Franklin/York).
Right about those two cities, although looking at the zip code detail you can tell pretty quickly that Cleveland is a heck of a lot better shape than Detroit (which isn't saying much I know). Detroit has an ungodly number of mortgages that are over 200% underwater and much less equity as a whole.

It's funny about those hard hit areas of PA, they are directly caused by people that moved from but are still working in cities outside of the state. Yet our major cities seem to lack any signs of this "red ring of death" that all other nearby major cities possess, hmmm.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:07 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,980,917 times
From the P-G today:
Quote:
A recent Brookings report on post-recession trends in housing prices indicates that folks who bought into sprawl before the bubble burst have suffered the most drastic losses in their housing value while some urban neighborhoods saw increases in theirs.
---
Quote:
“Emerging evidence points to a preference for mixed-use, compact, amenity-rich, transit-accessible neighborhoods or walkable places,” the report says. “According to the National Association of Realtors, 58 percent of homebuyers surveyed prefer mixed-use neighborhoods where one can easily walk to stores and other businesses. Further, 56 percent expressed a preference for communities with amenities such as a mix of housing types, various destinations within walking distance, public transportation options, and less parking.

“The trend is swinging away from neighborhoods that contain primarily large-lot single-family housing, few sidewalks, ample parking, and where driving is the primary means of transportation. Sixty percent of those swinging toward newer amenities do so for the convenience of being within walking distance to shops and restaurants and two-thirds of buyers factor walkability into their home purchase decision.”

Old 05-31-2012, 04:48 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,205,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
My father in Detroit is assembling a little empire of rental properties, mostly through short sales.

Meanwhile, he keeps asking us how much we have lost on our house (I guess my answer isn't credible in his view).
I'm guessing your answer that your house has a higher value now?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'm guessing your answer that your house has a higher value now?
I've resorted to saying something like, "I don't think we have lost much," but it still won't fly.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 PM

Also from the article quoted above:

Quote:
While this research is still emerging, one study posits that small-lot and attached housing units are under-supplied by 11 percent and 8 percent respectively, or an estimated 12 and 13.5 million units, while large-lot housing is over-supplied by an estimated 18 percent, accounting for approximately 28 million units.
That sort of imbalance will take a long time to rectify, but I'm thinking Pittsburgh has a lot of capacity to add such housing in currently underutilized but potentially walkable and fundamentally well-located neighborhoods.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:15 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,205,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I've resorted to saying something like, "I don't think we have lost much," but it still won't fly.
I guess he thinks Pittsburgh and Detroit aren't too different so if home values are bad there, they must be there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh