Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 AM

440 posts, read 549,587 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone-- I recently had an offer to move to Mckees Rocks.(currently in a subarb of PGH) I am looking for any insight about the area..

I do not have any kids nor plan on having them any time soon-- so School District Info doesn't matter.

I know I am keeping this broad however I really am looking for a wide range of info and opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
You probably mainly need to hear from alleghenyangel who lives in neighboring Stowe Township. Expect his reply shortly.

In general McKees Rocks is a somewhat run down area. Should have potential because of its proximity to the city, but it really hasn't shown much so far in the 20 years I've been here. That said without need for school district and with some tolerance for a gritty neighborhood you can make it work over there, as the aforementioned seems to.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
In general McKees Rocks is a somewhat run down area. Should have potential because of its proximity to the city, but it really hasn't shown much so far in the 20 years I've been here. That said without need for school district and with some tolerance for a gritty neighborhood you can make it work over there, as the aforementioned seems to.
Thank You Greg!!

I do not have a real issue with a gritty neighborhood, nor do I need to be in a "hip" thriving downtown area.

Is the commute to Pittsburgh (say strip dist) really as short as I have been hearing? say 15-20 min with traffic?

Is there a downtown Mckees Rocks? Restraunts shops?

In general Rocks have always had a "rough" and "rowdy" type rep going... does this hold true?

Above ?'s are geared for anyone.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:15 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
McKees Rocks has always been rough & gritty... In fact it was ran by the Itlalian Mafia back the day!
Although most of McKees Rocks is safe but there are three rough, rowdy, gang affiliated projects. Hays Manor, Myres & Ridge McKees Rocks Terrace phase Three Apartments, & the projects near Ranger Field are the places you should avoid (unless you wanna buy dope jk), but those areas aren't that bad/don't have too many shootings...
Just note that areas south of Chartiers Ave & the area around the high school-Broadway have a lot of drug activity though.

Other than that Allegheny Angle can tell you all you need to know bout Tha Rocks...

Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
Is the commute to Pittsburgh (say strip dist) really as short as I have been hearing? say 15-20 min with traffic?
You can commute downtown from McKees Rocks in about 10 minutes. It's a straight shot, and usually not much traffic. There are two ways to get there. One is to cross the McKees Rocks Bridge and take 65 down (faster). The other is to take 51 down.

Quote:
Is there a downtown Mckees Rocks? Restraunts shops?
Yes, there is a downtown McKees Rocks, but unfortunately much of it was demolished in the 1960s for a "modern" shopping plaza (strip mall), which is still there and has an Aldi grocery store, Big Lots, and a Family Dollar. There is still a little bit of downtown McKees Rocks left, but the main business district for the neighborhood is in Stowe Township in West Park, which is adjacent to McKees Rocks and on the same street grid a few blocks away. This is your typical old-fashioned downtown, with a movie theater (currently being restored), two diners, a bakery, Mancini's Bread Company, an Italian restaurant (Prima Donna's), a hardware store, two convenience stores, and some other businesses. There are lots of restaurants in McKees Rocks and Stowe. We also have Pierogies Plus, Subway, Eat 'n Park, and others. We also have a coffee shop on Chartiers, and a new park off 3rd Street.

Quote:
In general Rocks have always had a "rough" and "rowdy" type rep going... does this hold true?

Above ?'s are geared for anyone.
Yes, however, in the old days the people who lived here took better care of their homes, from what I have been told. It used to be a closer-knit, cleaner community back in the day. Now, along with most other low-income neighborhoods, there is an abundance of Section 8 housing and renters who just don't really care, who throw litter around, etc. This is true of most of the gritty city neighborhoods and inner suburbs, not just McKees Rocks. There are some beautiful streets and blocks in McKees Rocks and Stowe. Not all of it is depressed.

I do have seen old newspaper clippings from the early 1900s through the 1950s that show the level of crime that was in McKees Rocks back then -- house bombings, murders, you name it.

I have lived here almost three years and I absolutely love McKees Rocks and Stowe. There is so much character here. We do have the occasional violent crime and arson issues, and there are drug problems here. I had a problem neighbor for a while. Overall, though, you can make it work here. I go for long walks sometimes, especially in the warmer months, at night, and I always feel safe. I've walked all over the neighborhood. I think it's safe.

The funny thing is, while my overall passion for Pittsburgh has faded over the years, my love for McKees Rocks and Stowe has increased. It's actually the only thing keeping me in this city right now. I don't want to leave my neighborhood, and I want to see the rest of the houses in my row restored. I love being able to walk two blocks to downtown Stowe and get breakfast or some stuff from the bakery. There is also an active Historical Society in town, which I love.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 03-26-2012 at 08:14 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Wow, I never realized there were that many functioning businesses in McKees Rocks and Stowe. I've only ever really taken a look at Chartiers and a few side streets and it was a warm summer night and the people mulling about in the middle of the street didn't give a good impression. I was just in Hazelwood today checking out the neighborhood due to the cheap housing...it seems that Stowe could beat Hazelwood's business district. It was just a Rite Aid, a run down Hungarian restaurant, and a couple of "urban" convenience stores, the kind that sell 40s and rolling paper more than junk food and toilet paper.

Quote:
I want to see the rest of the houses in my row restored.
Do you think that will happen? Are they occupied now?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Wow, I never realized there were that many functioning businesses in McKees Rocks and Stowe. I've only ever really taken a look at Chartiers and a few side streets and it was a warm summer night and the people mulling about in the middle of the street didn't give a good impression. I was just in Hazelwood today checking out the neighborhood due to the cheap housing...it seems that Stowe could beat Hazelwood's business district. It was just a Rite Aid, a run down Hungarian restaurant, and a couple of "urban" convenience stores, the kind that sell 40s and rolling paper more than junk food and toilet paper.
If you want to see the area in a good light, drive up Broadway to the Stowe business district, have breakfast at Lynn's Cafe (they close at 2pm) and walk around. It's a nice little downtown, definitely better than Hazelwood. lol

Quote:
Do you think that will happen? Are they occupied now?
There are four houses in the row. One is mine, one is abandoned but secure, the other two are occupied but not well taken care of. If I stay here, my plan is to buy all of them as they become available.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
the kind that sell 40s and rolling paper more than junk food and toilet paper.
Come on now, this is PA, you know they can't sell 40s!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
You probably mainly need to hear from alleghenyangel who lives in neighboring Stowe Township.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Other than that Allegheny Angle can tell you all you need to know bout Tha Rocks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
If you want to see the area in a good light, drive up Broadway to the Stowe business district, have breakfast at Lynn's Cafe (they close at 2pm) and walk around. It's a nice little downtown, definitely better than Hazelwood. lol
AA--- Exactly what I was looking for and really hopeing to hear!!! Like I said previously-- I do not need a "shadyside'" Lawrenceville" vibe to be comfy @ home. I grew up in Jeannette (on a very small scale) is comparable to the descriptions of MR.

I have an oportunity to get "free" housing (from my employer) at a undisclosed location in Mckees Rocks-- in a competition for promotion !!!

So AA -- I hope to be movign in the area very soon

Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Come on now, this is PA, you know they can't sell 40s!
No, they do. Throw up a small seating area and suddenly you have a license to sell take out beer because you're a restaurant. It's not that uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh