Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:01 AM

135 posts, read 176,535 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I've been looking at the teams in the city... Steelers, Penguins and Pirates and it doesn't look like i'm going to be short of things to go and watch. Now, while i have a fair understanding of Football and Hockey (as a viewer, not a tacticion) i don't have a clue how Baseball works, it makes no sense to me at all. I keep throwing meringues at that wall but they just wont stick! Can anyone please recommend a good site that would teach me the basics, one for kids might be a good idea .

On my readings i've come across some mentions of a "Terrible Towel" and after finding a pic' of one i realised i'd seen one before on the back of an APC of 23rd Infantry in Helmand, must have been a fan .

"There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!" - Douglas Adams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Basic Rules of Baseball - Baseball Rules for Beginners

By the way, there is a pro soccer team, the Riverhounds, which is getting a new stadium (you might be able to see it from PPG Place).

Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 AM

135 posts, read 176,535 times
Hello.

@BrianTH
Right, nice.. i'll have a look at that .

Old 03-03-2012, 11:57 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Don't worry too much about baseball. Trying to follow to Pirates may keep you from wanting to even move here. :P

Old 03-03-2012, 12:04 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
I was going to ask if there is a baseball team here. Last game I went to was damn exciting.....some Penquins were there right after winning the Stanley Cup.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
We didnt understand baseball until our son explained it to us ; he was probably 5 at the time.

Football ; still dont get it. But its fun to watch.

Baseball is like rounders that we played as kids on the street.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:32 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Don't worry too much about baseball. Trying to follow to Pirates may keep you from wanting to even move here. :P
Yeah. There's very little evidence that the Pirates understand it either.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
One nice thing about the US is that if you show up in a bar and ask someone to explain baseball, they'll try. I recall asking Kiwis and Aussies about cricket when I was over there (and I really wanted to know how to read a box score) and all I got was "hey yank, bugger off and go back to your precious baseball." Bermudians just ignored me.

The Pirates suck. This much is true. But a night at PNC can still be enjoyable. It's not too expensive and they do serve local beer and food.

As to how it works, try this: HowStuffWorks "How Baseball Works"

Old 03-04-2012, 03:54 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Actually the Pirates played rather well for 2/3 of last season and then it all fell apart. Without salary caps like the other major sports have,small market teams are at a disadvantage. There`s no way the Pirates could pay the $250 million dollars that Albert Pujols was awarded to change teams.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Actually the Pirates played rather well for 2/3 of last season and then it all fell apart. Without salary caps like the other major sports have,small market teams are at a disadvantage. There`s no way the Pirates could pay the $250 million dollars that Albert Pujols was awarded to change teams.
They could however attempt to play competively every so often or even fairly regularly like many other small market teams in the league do but unfortunately we are burdened with a terrible ownership that's cares only about lining their own pockets rather then putting anything resembling a successful team on the field.

Back to the original topic, yes, professional baseball, (American) football & hockey here + fairly large college basketball following here with Pitt (this years embarrassing performance notwithstanding), a semi professional soccer (football) team, an indoor (american) football team, and you will also find some amateur rugby & cricket teams about.
Lots of golf courses as well if you're into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: