Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:52 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

Courtesy of a poster at another forum:

High-Technology Industry U.S. Office Outlook l Jones Lang LaSalle

Pittsburgh writeup:

http://www.us.am.joneslanglasalle.co...Pittsburgh.pdf

As we have discussed before, Pittsburgh isn't the most concentrated place in tech, which is fine with me, actually (diversification is good). But it is a good source of growth for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Oh, and there is a Paris of Appalachia vibe to that map--or as I would put it, evidence that Pittsburgh is the de facto capital of its own region in between the Great Lakes and Northeast coast.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 AM

799 posts, read 1,289,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Oh, and there is a Paris of Appalachia vibe to that map--or as I would put it, evidence that Pittsburgh is the de facto capital of its own region in between the Great Lakes and Northeast coast.
Good observation. That's a big deal in terms of talent pool.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,313 times
I probably wouldn't still be in Pittsburgh if the tech industry wasn't so strong here. I'd have set off for Mountain View or Seattle years ago. We've got a great array of start ups here, just off the top of my head there's: Avere, ModCloth, ShowClix, SongWhale, CombineNet, Dynamics, Panasas, YinzCam and Vivisimo. And then there's national/international companies with sites here like Google, NetApp, ECI Telecom, Apple, General Dynamics, Disney, Toshiba, Netronome. Now if we could just build some office space for companies to locate in ...

Old 10-02-2011, 09:03 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times
Pittsburgh has always been hi-tech, it is just that more of the money came from established companies then start-ups and VCs. With CMU and Pitt plus a large number for Fortune 500s, that helped create a strong base in the region. The collapse of the industrial base hurt the overall progress, but it did not completely destroy it. As others have said, I would have never stayed in the area after college if it had not been for the strong base. Finding a tech job around here has always been relatively easy compared to other similar sized markets.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
strange to see that Pittsburgh and Chicago are the only emerging hi-tech industries in the rust belt sector. I guess Cleveland still leans toward healthcare for the most part

Old 10-02-2011, 10:27 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
strange to see that Pittsburgh and Chicago are the only emerging hi-tech industries in the rust belt sector. I guess Cleveland still leans toward healthcare for the most part
There are smaller cities out there that also could be on the list. Rochester, MN and Fargo, ND are both making big pushes to bring in tech jobs, as are several cities in Iowa. Near sourcing to take advantage of the lower cost of living.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
Good observation. That's a big deal in terms of talent pool.
Indeed. Lots of universities and such in the area, and yet not a lot of competition for that talent.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Now if we could just build some office space for companies to locate in ...
I have this vision of the underutilized corridor between Penn and the Busway, East Liberty to Wilkinsburg, becoming Pittburgh's mini Silicon Valley . . .

Old 10-02-2011, 11:25 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
There are smaller cities out there that also could be on the list. Rochester, MN and Fargo, ND are both making big pushes to bring in tech jobs, as are several cities in Iowa. Near sourcing to take advantage of the lower cost of living.
yep there are quite a few. Lots of smaller cities outside of minneapolis and chicago too. i think the midwest/rustbelt are making a comeback in more nuanced ways, slowly but surely (i know minneapolis isnt really rust belt, but you get the gist).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh