Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

I dunno, Friendship seemed fine enough even 10 years ago. I almost ended up living there instead of Point Breeze. I suppose it's probably getting even better with the south end of East Liberty getting developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 16,485 times
well i live in wilkinsburg and i dont see it as a bad place to live some areas are bad (all places have that) the education there is OK it wont make u stupid but if you really pay attention to the classes u can get alot from it but there is a little private school called Pittsburgh Urban Christian School (PUCS) thats a great school my cousin went there and she now goes to schenley where she gets good grades so far this year....the people in wilkinsburg are friendly and unique alot of the drama comes form people with big mouthes who cant shut it if u dont bother anyone u most likely wont be involved....penn ave. is good too because there are alot of different stores and u meet alot of people i shop there with my daughter all the time (i am 17) i read the dub girl post and she is right in someways but she came off wrong.......but since u are a couple in ur 20s there would be no reason 4 u to be involved in drama and 2 not be accepted in the community

Old 09-14-2007, 11:13 AM

25 posts, read 83,772 times
That place is a pit along with the rest of PITtsburgh. Don't move there.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:25 PM

675 posts, read 2,098,524 times
Quote:
ACTUALLY everybody i know in pittsburgh and from pittsburgh says yall so yea thank u very much smart 1
That is true, its only white Pittsburghers that say "yinz". The black Pittsburghers seem to have all brought "Y'all" up from the south.

Quote:
i read the dub girl post and she is right in someways but she came off wrong.......
I am utterly confused about this quote. Looks like DUBshawtie (translation: Wilkinsburg girl) didn't realize she logged in as the same alias she used when posting the original post in African American Vernacular English (a.k.a. ebonics). hmmmm... Looks like the Wilkinsburg schools aren't doing such a good job after all.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I am utterly confused about this quote. Did you forget to login under a different name before posting this? You are the "dub girl". Looks like the Wilkinsburg schools aren't doing such a good job after all.
LOL! Probably nobody else caught that because we all ignored the post

Old 09-14-2007, 06:36 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,506 times
Plus she doesn't realize that she is what scares people from wilkinsburg. 17 year olds with a kids.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:09 PM

206 posts, read 688,641 times
Wow, that's cold, PPG.

Guns, drugs, junkies, thugs, abandoned buildings, high taxes, booming stereos, decay -- these things put me off Wilkinsburg. Not girls with babies.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:09 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzette View Post
My boyfriend and I are looking to move to the Pittsburgh area and we are looking at a place located on Rebecca Avenue at Centre Street in Wilkinsburg. Can anyone offer any advice as to whether or not this is a decent neighborhood or a place to stay away from? I'm sure it makes no difference, but just for the sake of knowing, we're both in our early 20's, I'm white and he's hispanic. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Aah Hopes people in Pittsburgh DO SAY YALL, Where do you live???? If you are younger and you live closer to the city you will say yall, if you are older or you live out further you will say yinz. But, any I'm going to break down wilkinsburg for you, like DUBshawtie412 said it is a mostly black area, but it is far from the worse area in pittsburgh. It depends on what part you live in, DUBshawtie412 I agree laketon rd. isn't that bad, my mom lives there, especially the further up you go near Blackridge and Penn Hills, but Robinson blvd. near East hills and the west side of Penn Hills or further down near Homewood and it is BAD. Garbandzette I wouldn't suggest that you move to wilkinsburg unless you are tight on money, or you don't have a car and need to get around(wilkinsburg has great bus service and the busway cuts through it.)other than that there are alot of better places to live. Wilkinsburg isn't the Ghetto or the Projects or anything it's what I call a "Hood" Things do happen there more often then most neighborhoods but not as much as some others, most people from Pittsburgh won't move to that area most of the people there have lived there for their whole lives, know someone who lives there, or are moving there from a worse neighborhood. Oh and by the way If you have kids definitly want to avoid Wilkinsburg, it is one of the worse school districts in Pittsburgh alot of the parents try to sneak there kids in to some of the surrounding districts such as Penn Hills school district or Woodland Hills school district. If you are looking for good mixed race neighborhoods try Penn Hills(the east side), Monroeville(a shopping town,nice.),the South Side(not great for kids but, if you like to go out and have fun you'll love it.)Wilkins Township, Sheridan, or West Mifflin. Mostly White areas Mount Lebanon(pricey), Bethel Park, South Park(actually in a big park, that's where I live), North Hills, Castle Shanon, Upper St. Claire(pricey) or Plum. Mostly Black Penn Hills(west side), East Pittsburgh, or Parts of Turtle Creek are all nice places to live.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:17 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Is it just me or is this therad starting to get RACIAL???? GALLACUS why does Dub have to be speaking ebonics??? And do you even know ebonics or were you just making a rude comment? Who said ebonics worse than Italian, French, or German???? Pittsburgh is generally a non-prejudice city, but I noticed that the East Side of town is going down hill. Either you live in a TRASHY BLACK neighborhood or a TRASHY WHITE neighborhood, an expensive neighborhood, or a neighborhood where the police are shake and pass judgement. That's why I left that side of town, The other sides of town are way better. I am extremely offended that someone would say that 17 year olds that have kids are what scares people from wilkinsburg, I lived in Wilkinsburg when I was 17 and I didn't have a child, and didn't bother anyone. 17 year olds aren't the problem, the problem is the lack of parenting that some people have, or lack of federal funding to schools. It's funny that I live here in South Park and I drive pass there HUGE High School everyday and wonder why a school district that is only single or double A, I can't remember which one, has a school that is bigger than my old high schools, Penn Hills, which is a quad A school, or bigger than wilkinsburg at that a school district that has more students. The other problems are people like some of the people who pass judgement on a person at first sight some people see young teens, especially black, and all of a sudden deem it a bad neighborhood. And alot of people look down on troubled black neighborhoods but the white ones are just as bad ex. Lawerenceville, Whitker, Arrlington, Belle Vue, etc. and all just as bad.

Last edited by Dorian; 09-15-2007 at 11:27 AM..

Old 09-15-2007, 11:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Aah Hopes people in Pittsburgh DO SAY YALL, Where do you live???? If you are younger and you live closer to the city you will say yall, if you are older or you live out further you will say yinz.
I believe you have that backwards, Dorian. Yinz is more of a city thing, not a suburban thing.

Regardless, I say neither "ya'll" nor "yinz." I say "you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh