Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 PM

32,639 posts, read 77,964,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Since you are working on the North Side, why not live on the North Side as well? Deutschtown, Allegheny West, and the Mexican War Streets are some of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the city, have affordable apartments, and you could walk to work.
Not to be too tangential, AlleghenyAngel, but with your apparent affinity for the North Side, as evidenced on here and through your blog, I really never understood why you chose McKees Rocks over, say, Manchester? Perhaps Manchester was a BIT more expensive than the $10,000 or so in cash you paid for your current rowhome near McKees Rocks; however, it seems like the city's pulse runs through your veins to the point where that additional investment would have been worthwhile. You and BrianTH are inarguably two of the largest "city boosters" on this sub-forum, yet you both live in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:34 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,087,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Not to be too tangential, AlleghenyAngel, but with your apparent affinity for the North Side, as evidenced on here and through your blog, I really never understood why you chose McKees Rocks over, say, Manchester? Perhaps Manchester was a BIT more expensive than the $10,000 or so in cash you paid for your current rowhome near McKees Rocks; however, it seems like the city's pulse runs through your veins to the point where that additional investment would have been worthwhile. You and BrianTH are inarguably two of the largest "city boosters" on this sub-forum, yet you both live in the suburbs.
There is no possible way that I could have found a liveable house in Manchester for $10k, unless perhaps it had been modified to the extent that it was no longer "historic" or even attractive (I'm talking about aluminum siding and awnings here). Even in that case, I did not find anything in that price range that did not need a complete rehab (furnace, plumbing, roof, interior gut, etc).

I actually looked in EVERY neighborhood of the city, and every suburb, to find a house for $10k that was in liveable condition. Most houses in that price range need extensive rehab. Mine just needed cosmetic work. The systems were all functional and the interior of the home was clean, if dated.

McKees Rocks may technically be a "suburb" in the sense that it is not within city limits, but it is just as old and historic and walkable as most city neighborhoods are. Actually, it is more historic than many city neighborhoods which were built up after 1920. I am just as much of a booster for historic areas outside of the city as within.

However, that being said, the North Side is my favorite part of Pittsburgh because it has some of the oldest surviving housing stock and, by far, the best surviving Victorian architecture outside of a few streets in the East End. I do intend to purchase my next home in the North Side, if my dream comes true.

I would LOVE to live in Manchester, but unfortunately a house like mine in 2009 cost three times as much in Manchester (which was only $30,000, but I didn't have that much cash lying around, and these fixer upper houses do not qualify for FHA mortgages. Besides, I wanted to avoid a mortgage and debt in general). Now, in 2011, a house like mine in Manchester would probably go for over $50,000 (if you could find one). Prices are really increasing over there. There is a house I like on Alpine Street just above the Mexican War Streets that they are asking $54k for, but I am still not comfortable with a mortgage in this economy, and I doubt it would qualify for one anyway. My dream house is on Filson Street in the War Streets (as you know). I also like the house on Haslage Street in Spring Hill (would never qualify for a mortgage) and one in Spring Garden on Haug St.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:14 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,050,687 times
I agree, I looked at houses in Manchester a few months ago and could not find anything below 80K that was in acceptable (not perfect) condition.

As an aside, I actually think that the aluminum awnings are historic in their own right, AllegheyAngel. They may not be original to the homes, but they are an aspect of a house that truly screams Pittsburgh. I personally think they are not that good looking, but I would be loathe to take one down if I ever bought a house with one, especially if they are common on the block.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:34 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,087,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
As an aside, I actually think that the aluminum awnings are historic in their own right, AllegheyAngel. They may not be original to the homes, but they are an aspect of a house that truly screams Pittsburgh. I personally think they are not that good looking, but I would be loathe to take one down if I ever bought a house with one, especially if they are common on the block.
Oh, lord. Unless we are talking 1950s ranches in Penn Hills or Windgap, for example, those aluminum awnings are not original to the house and thus should go. Take Bloomfield, for example. There is no earthly reason why an 1890s row-house should have aluminum awnings.

I feel the same way about metal porches and 1950s 3-window doors. Unless it's on a house built during that time period, it's not original and thus not historically correct to the home!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:26 AM

23 posts, read 45,324 times
Default Budget

Sorry guys, I was out of town for a couple of days here and didn't have a chance to get on here to keep in touch. I'm looking for a studio in the 450-650 a month price range. I haven't heard the greatest things about the North Shore area...the 2 places I've been looking into are Shadyside and the Southside. Mt. Washington looked decent, but heard you need to find the right area within the town. I love the downtown area of the southside, and wouldn't mind being close to that. Shadyside has nice places, is there a downtown scene there?

Again, thanks for all your help!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurito View Post
Sorry guys, I was out of town for a couple of days here and didn't have a chance to get on here to keep in touch. I'm looking for a studio in the 450-650 a month price range. I haven't heard the greatest things about the North Shore area...the 2 places I've been looking into are Shadyside and the Southside. Mt. Washington looked decent, but heard you need to find the right area within the town. I love the downtown area of the southside, and wouldn't mind being close to that. Shadyside has nice places, is there a downtown scene there?

Again, thanks for all your help!
I live in the Mexican War Streets right now and I have almost nothing but good things to say about it. For some reason the whole Northside gets lumped together as one bad neighborhood by lots of Pittsburghers, and really, even a lot of the bad parts aren't all that bad. But Allegheny West, the Mexican War Streets, and Deutschtown are almost universally considered nice places these days (a lot of the negative opinions are lingering from a decade or two back). Homes in those neighborhoods are regularly listed at a quarter million dollars, which is a little more than twice the median home price in Pittsburgh -- plain and simple, people would not be paying that much if it was one of the worst ghettos in the city like people make it out to be! A few areas get some loiterers; but nothing to be concerned about in my opinion, it's mostly people patronizing the businesses on E. Ohio street, waiting for the bus after shopping at Giant Eagle, or waiting for a meal at the soup kitchen on North.

Point being, Don't write off the north side, especially when you will be working there and you're on a budget on top of that! I used to rent in Bloomfield and doubled the size of my apartment by moving to the war streets for basically the same rent, not to mention I now have a beautiful historic apartment instead of plain drywall place. The other neighborhoods you are considering are nice as well, but given your budget and place of work, Allegheny West, the Mexican War Streets, and Deutschtown should be at the top of your list if you ask me.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:13 AM

23 posts, read 45,324 times
Anyone familiar with the South Oakland area? Trying to do a little research on the area and am having a hard time. Found a cheap studio in a complex on Parkview Avenue...would only be a 10 minute drive to my job, as well as being pretty close to everything. If anyone has any info or advice, let me know! Thanks!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurito View Post
Anyone familiar with the South Oakland area? Trying to do a little research on the area and am having a hard time. Found a cheap studio in a complex on Parkview Avenue...would only be a 10 minute drive to my job, as well as being pretty close to everything. If anyone has any info or advice, let me know! Thanks!
North or South of Blvd of the Allies? Both are very student heavy areas, but South of the blvd has fewer students. I lived in South Oakland while I was a student, and I would not want to live there again. You'll have to deal with litter and drunken loud people (and it's not confined to weekends, since it's students). On top of that, Oakland becomes a crime target when the universities are on break. The house we were renting was broken into over one of the breaks. A friend of mine's apartment was broken into over one of the breaks while he was still home and the burglars continued to rob him at gunpoint. By and large South Oakland is safe enough, the main reason I wouldn't want to live there is the college atmosphere and the abundant supply of slumlords (check Landorslum.com: The landlord rating website before renting!)

Also, it might show up as 10 or 15 minutes by car on google maps, but if you're traveling during rush hour be prepared for a different story entirely. Sometimes 15 minutes to the northside, other times 45 minutes.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,149,540 times
As an aside, both AA and I were basically priced out of living in the City in our own ways. But like AA, I view myself as a booster of the entire core area, City or suburbs, and indeed I fully recognize that the future prosperity of my suburb depends on a healthy City.

Anyway, Shadyside does have a lively restaurant and bar scene, but that budget is a bit low for Shadyside--not impossible, maybe, but you would have a lot more options if you expanded your list of neighborhoods beyond just Shadyside and the South Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh