Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 05:07 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times

Advertisements

Here is an article:

Nevada authorizes driverless cars (like the ones at Google) - latimes.com

Google had already been successfully testing this technology in real traffic, so the next big impediment was legal. And if this works out in Nevada, it could spread rapidly after that (in fact, supposedly California doesn't actually have any laws prohibiting them, which is part of how Google felt comfortable testing them there).

Driverless cars combined with carsharing (think robo-taxis with no labor costs, or a Zipcar that will pick you up at home, or wherever you happen to be, and drop you off at your destination) could end up significantly reducing the amount of capacity we need for roads and (even more so) for parking. That in turn would free up lots of land, which would be particularly useful in places where land was scarce and valuable (e.g., downtowns). In could also nearly eliminate car accidents, greatly increase the average speed and energy-efficiency of car travel, and allow for more rapid adoption of future vehicle technologies.

So this could get interesting.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:17 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
If you don't like driving, take the ****ing bus, and leave the highway to those of us who actually do like driving.

I support rail expansion because it gets people who don't belong on the Interstates off the Interstates.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If you don't like driving, take the ****ing bus, and leave the highway to those of us who actually do like driving.
Not to alarm you, but it is a good bet driving your own car is going to end up like horseback riding. You'll be able to do it as a hobby, but not on most working roads and highways.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Not to alarm you, but it is a good bet driving your own car is going to end up like horseback riding. You'll be able to do it as a hobby, but not on most working roads and highways.
Yeah, and if you ask me, that's ass-backwards. The whole point of an automobile is autonomy, which means you can go wherever you want to go, whenever you want to go, and at the rate you prefer. If I wanted to be a passenger, the I'd ride the bus or a train.

Guess I'll have to buy that Charger sooner than I expected.

"Hands-free driving. Cars that park themselves. An automated car driven by a search engine company. We've seen that movie. It ends with robots harvesting our bodies for energy."

Old 06-24-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
The whole point of an automobile is autonomy, which means you can go wherever you want to go, whenever you want to go, and at the rate you prefer.
Two out of three ain't bad.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Two out of three ain't bad.
All three is optimal.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:52 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
And how is this a Pittsburgh thread? What am I missing ?
Yac.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
And how is this a Pittsburgh thread? What am I missing ?
Yac.
I was thinking the same thing. How about this, will it ever come to Pittsburgh with our narrow city streets and wild terrain?

Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 AM

Sorry, I should have been more explicit about the Pittsburgh connection.

We have recently been discussing issues such as parking rates in the City, possible transportation projects in the region, and so on. This technology implies a very different set of future considerations for such issues than would otherwise be the case.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
The whole point of an automobile is autonomy, which means you can go wherever you want to go, whenever you want to go, and at the rate you prefer.
No...the point of the automobile to be able to get where you want to go when you want. Having to be burdened with the exorbitant cost of owning a car is a ball and chain, not freedom. If you could get where you want to go, when you want to be there without having to put up with paying a car payment, insurance payment, gas money, maintenance, oil changes, etc. why wouldn't you? Owning your own car is a necessary evil to get where you want to go, and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh