Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:53 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,233,734 times

Advertisements

Uptown: Pittsburgh's next hot neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 05:13 AM

296 posts, read 561,306 times
It's too bad that in the last month or so there have been a couple shootings in the neighborhood. Lot of potential but lots of structural problems. And, on the annoying side, it seems like there is a bus stop every 1/4 block on both Fifth and Forbes.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:35 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,212,643 times
Very interesting article. I don't know that area at all...does anyone know what the official borders are between uptown and the hill?

Reading that article they never really specified...I guess I was wondering if I wanted to explore uptown a little, how far do you go until you hit the hill/should start really worrying about safety?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,832,059 times
location, location, location

Old 11-22-2010, 09:41 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,924 times
Most Pittsburghers consider Uptown to be a subsection of the Hill. Between Forbes and Colwell, from Jumonville, west to Sixth Ave. That's Uptown. South of Uptown is The Bluff. East of Jumonville is Soho, although you don't hear that name used as much anymore. With the exception of The Bluff, most who live in those areas consider themselves to be Hill District folks.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:36 PM

250 posts, read 360,040 times
People been saying this for decades... I'm sure it will happen eventually, but I just can't see the Bluff making any great strides without a change in the Hill itself. This isn't the first time people have attempted to capitalize on the prime location.

Also even though they were once two distinct areas, I think people nowadays pretty much use Bluff/Uptown interchangeably, as the residential areas of both shrink to expanding development.

Ultimately I believe that pattern of development will continue and commercial use will eventually dominate the whole corridor. Despite the recent strides I have a hard time picturing any great residential renaissance in the area.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,041,929 times
Which is a shame considering some of the fabulous Victorian residential architecture that still exists in the neighborhood!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:32 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,233,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
location, location, location
This is it. The neighborhood is not very big, which makes revitalization doable. I feel much of the revitalization, especially in the area around the Birmingham Bridge, will be more aesthetic improvements as opposed to an influx of residents and housing structures. I expect many older structures to come down and some new landscaping, streetscaping, signage, etc. to be put into place. The areas closer to Duquesne and Consol Energy Center will see some new businesses and lofts above. I have heard that there is not much quality housing at Duquesne for upperclassmen and grad students on campus or nearby. That is why many of them choose the South Side. I fully expect to see more businesses move in along Fifth and Forbes in the coming years. This will create a vital neighborhood where Duquesne students and others will want to live because the location is outstanding. If one works in Oakland or Downtown, we are talking a very short commute to work. There are also plans for an ambitious plan in West Oakland called the Oakland Portal. This will further connect Downtown, Uptown, and Oakand.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:32 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,901,400 times
Not much you can do with 5 AV from the Birmingham up to Carlow on the South Side, but there's Plenty that can be done with North Side of 5th

Old 11-23-2010, 12:56 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,908,688 times
A few months ago, I priced a house in the area, but it was a little too high - 150k. Would love to live there. I suspect the situation with the Hill District is holding back development a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh