Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 AM

222 posts, read 439,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
What nationality are you OP?

Also, it just so happens that if you happen to be white and hispanic here (like myself) people will just think you're Italian or Greek.
LOL I hear you on that. Of course people are half right since I'm also Italian. When I go to places that have a lot of Latinos and they ask me what I am, I just tell them that I'm an American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 11:06 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Being hispanic won't be an issue at all. Unless your name is Carlos or something obviously hispanic, most people will assume you're greek or italian and it would never cross their mind that you could be hispanic. There are so few hispanics in Pittsburgh that people are completely oblivious to the anti-hispanic stuff that you might encounter in other areas. But, as others have said, you won't find much latin culture at all. And few latin chicks. When I say few, I mean zero. Some clubs have a novelty "latin night" on a boring tuesday, but it's dead and not much fun. You can find some latin stuff, but you'd have to search for them and I doubt they'd come close to comparing to what you'd find in Miami. Unfortunately, if you want to make friends you'll have to adapt to them. Don't expect them to adapt to you. That's not the Pittsburgh way. Just put on a Stillers jersey, grab a snow shovel and become one of us.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:35 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
But, as others have said, you won't find much latin culture at all. And few latin chicks. When I say few, I mean zero.
I didn't see where OP stated he was specifically seeking Latin chicks in the Burgh.
Admittedly,if that's the case- the pickins would be extremely slim for him.

But he may discover that variety is "the spice of life" There are many German/Irish women, like me, in the Burgh with fair skin, long red hair and light clear blue eyes. ( Except given OP's age-he would need to find a younger one in her 20's).

Just sayin'!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 7,293 times
Thank you everyone for the overwhelming response... apart from all the posts I got several PMs with some interesting info...

So... let's see...

(WARNING: Long post ahead, I replied to EVERYONE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
u rich brah?

im planning on moving there from Miami as well except i live near the airport, but im a white male, honestly who gives a *** about race, dont think you will find much Latin influence in the area
Being rich is a matter of perspective. I don't know... I make enough here in Miami to pay for my rented condo, all the related costs as well as my car payments, food, etc. and I still have some cash left (not a lot) to party. I recently got my Masters and I am going to get paid more by moving there. So make your own conclusions. I posted the info about restaurants because, you as a Miami citizen should know we Hispanics enjoy our food. I also enjoy dancing salsa, reggaeton, merengue, etc. I just wanted to know my options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
You only pay property taxes if you own property. Living in the city you will pay a 3% local tax. Outside of the city it is usually 1%. If you live outside of the city your social options will be limited. Outside of the city is mainly rural suburbs with white people who have been here there entire lives.
I forgot to put on my original post that I am interested in buying because from what I have read, property over there is cheap and I will be living there for at least 4 years. Southside and Shadyside have come up a lot on my research... What kind of property prices would I find there?? Houses, townhouses or condos... no preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
It is slim pickings here, amigo.
This worries me... A LOT... The one thing that has me excited about this move is the fact that I am going to start meeting girls that have not fallen victim to the "Miami lifestyle". If you lived in Miami you would understand: girls here (white, black, green, etc.) are either skanks or golddiggers or if they are somewhat normal they are already taken or the ones that seem normal end up letting their true (insane) self out, sometimes a combination of all of the above... Skanks and golddiggers are the predominant type over here... I attribute it to the Miami lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRANGEL09 View Post
well i'm not into the club scene anymore, but i'm of mexican and italian heritage. a place that i used to go was called cozumel back in the early 2000's. they had live salsa music and the clientele was a mixed crowd. many of them i'm guessing were mexican. i think they may have changed the name of the restaurant, but i'm not sure. the one good thing about pittsburgh is that there are a few latin stores that carry goya products, tortilla's, mexican drinks, cheeses, etc. wish i could help you out on latin night clubs. anyways here are a few places that you may want to do some of your grocery shopping. good luck to you.

Reyna Foods - Pittsburgh, PA

Tienda La Jimenez - Pittsburgh, PA

Las Palmas Carniceria - Pittsburgh, PA

Hispanic Chamber Of Commerce

Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area Hispanic Chamber of Commerce - Home

City Paper
Pittsburgh City Paper - News, Music, Restaurants, Events, Arts and Entertainment Newspaper

Rated Best Pittsburgh Happy Hour & Tapas Restaurant - SEVICHE

Seviche | Facebook
Dude... MUCHISIMAS GRACIAS! Killer links... essentially most of the info I need for my food needs... Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy a good ole' burger and a backyard BBQ... but it's always good to know that you can find a little piece of home when the mood strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citypoot View Post
It's true that Pittsburgh has a very small (although growing) hispanic population, BUT, use that to your ADVANTAGE. There's plenty of beautiful women that will fine a good looking latino from South Beach that can dance to be an exotic improvement on the typical Pittsburgher. In a sense, being a rarity can be a plus if you play your cards right.
Dude... with all due respect to the women that may be reading this, but that is my number 1 intention... I hook up with my good share here in Miami so you can bet on me playing my cards right...

Quote:
come but you will be disgusted by the attitude of most of the women its a total turn off. i would rather go to eastern Europe and just bang 10/10 women all day for free.
Couldn't agree more. Women in Miami are f'd up. read my first reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
You're Hispanic and moving to da Burgh!!?? Welcome!!!! We need you here!!
The odds are very, very high that I will be spending this Halloween in "da Burgh." so you are welcome to take me out on my first Pittsburgh date...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
What nationality are you OP?

Also, it just so happens that if you happen to be white and hispanic here (like myself) people will just think you're Italian or Greek.
Nah... I'm not white nor have I ever been mistaken as white nor Italian or Greek... If I were to pick a celebrity that looks like me, I would say Wilmer Valderrama without the goofy 70s haircut. I am the biggest mutt ever: I am half-Spaniard/half-Venezuelan but I was born and raised in Medellin, Colombia so I consider myself Colombian, I also have a nice Colombian accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Don't expect them to adapt to you. That's not the Pittsburgh way. Just put on a Stillers jersey, grab a snow shovel and become one of us.
I don't want anyone to adapt to me, I just wanted some info on the stuff I like, my post was never meant to ask if I was going to be discriminated or not. BTW... Viva Miami Dolphins!!!

Quote:
I didn't see where OP stated he was specifically seeking Latin chicks in the Burgh.
Admittedly,if that's the case- the pickins would be extremely slim for him.

But he may discover that variety is "the spice of life" There are many German/Irish women, like me, in the Burgh with fair skin, long red hair and light clear blue eyes. ( Except given OP's age-he would need to find a younger one in her 20's).

Just sayin'!
You are right. In fact, I am looking for that variety so... THAT'S IT! You fit the description... we are going out... Age ain't nothing but a number...

Old 09-30-2010, 10:17 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,415 times
why not go back to Colombia? my Colombian friend said there are tons of good looking women, plan on going there with him in a few years

Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungProfessionalMiami View Post
I also enjoy dancing salsa, reggaeton, merengue, etc. I just wanted to know my options.
In regards to that kind of stuff it's pretty slim in this area.

Quote:
I forgot to put on my original post that I am interested in buying because from what I have read, property over there is cheap and I will be living there for at least 4 years. Southside and Shadyside have come up a lot on my research... What kind of property prices would I find there?? Houses, townhouses or condos... no preference.
Matters what you want. You can get a cheap older house or an ultra-new modern kind of place. Take a look at the real estate section on craigslist to get an idea of what is going for what and in which neighborhoods. The general rule of thumb is that real estate in Pittsburgh costs 35%-50% what it would somewhere else.

Quote:
This worries me... A LOT... The one thing that has me excited about this move is the fact that I am going to start meeting girls that have not fallen victim to the "Miami lifestyle".
The population of Pittsburgh is mainly old people, poor blacks, working-class whites (yinzers), college students and a few professionals. Once you go past the age of 25 opportunities with the opposite sex plummet because the college students move away and the girls who are here get married, reproduce and move to the suburbs.

Quote:
Dude... with all due respect to the women that may be reading this, but that is my number 1 intention... I hook up with my good share here in Miami so you can bet on me playing my cards right...
Your best bet for high-class hotties is in some of the higher-class lounges in downtown and Southside...and maybe Shadyside too. But, like I said it is slim pickings here outside of the 18-24 age bracket. It is also hard to meet people and "break into" a group here at times. Although, your job may present opportunities.

Quote:
BTW... Viva Miami Dolphins!!!
Don't say that out loud within the city limits. Trust me on that.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:27 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
why not go back to Colombia? my Colombian friend said there are tons of good looking women, plan on going there with him in a few years
he's moving for work, not for women

Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
Quote:

You are right. In fact, I am looking for that variety so... THAT'S IT! You fit the description... we are going out... Age ain't nothing but a number...

Age is a number....and mine is unlisted!!! LOL!!!!

But ,seriously there are many attractive, intelligent and most importantly, nice women here. There are a slew of very good universities located here. Many younger women are education majors. There are many women in health related programs. Approx 50% of Med students are women and are at Univ. of Pittsburgh and the clinical campus here of Temple and Drexel U.
There are a variety of businesswomen in the Burgh who are responsible and ambitious. I know of one that opened her own coffee bar at the age of 22.
I don't think bars /clubs are necessarily the best place to meet quality women anyway ( I know it's NOT best place to meet men) in Miami, Pittsburgh or anywhere else for that matter.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:24 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
According to the American Community Survey, conducted by the Census, both the City of Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh Urbanized Area (basically city and major suburbs) are experiencing a boomlet in the never-married young female population (so this doesn't include women separated, divorced, or widowed):

For the City:

. . . . . .2007. . . . .2008. . . . .2009
20-24. .15409. . . .15817. . . . 19701
25-29. .7024. . . . .7633. . . . .10757
30-34. .4130. . . . .4118. . . . .6194
35-39. .2653. . . . .2748. . . . .5067

For the Urbanized Area:

. . . . . .2007. . . . .2008. . . . .2009
20-24. .47231. . . .47372. . . .50956
25-29. .23766. . . .25127. . . .35717
30-34. .14778. . . .14005. . . .16617
35-39. .12832. . . .12670. . . .12788

Although naturally there is a dropoff over time, your options are definitely not exhausted after 24--and those options are growing.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:25 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
I don't think bars /clubs are necessarily the best place to meet quality women anyway .

Maybe for a night, but not long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh