Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:51 PM

7 posts, read 15,959 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about relocating to Pittsburgh, specifically the Pine Richland school district. From everything we see online it seems like it is new, young, good school district, safe and convienent. What are the best things about living in Pine Richland? How long is the communte to downtown Pittsburgh? Are there a lot of young families in the area? Is there a large community feel there? Are people happy with the school district? Are some areas of Pine Richland more desirable than other areas to live? Any other information you can provide to give a good sense of the area for someone coming in as a newcomer is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:12 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,211 times
It used to be Richland District and was a smaller, more country area back in the 1980s. I think Pine, which was even more country than Richland, was part of either Hampton or North Hills or North Allegheny. I just know tha t Pine- Richland is now a large area that has grown quite a bit in the last twenty to twenty-five years.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:14 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,289 times
The Pine Richland school district covers a large area. From suburban cookie cutter (from 70's developments to McMansions going up this moment) to rural areas. Taxes are high--one of the reasons we will move to Butler. I don't have personal experience with the school (kids are grown) but it is always talked about and rated highly.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,553 times
Pine-Richland is the fastest growing school district in Allegheny County. It has become a more affluent and younger community the past 10 years. The school facilities are new and state of the art, although the stadium is probably the most recognizable. The schools are considered among some of the best in Pennsylvania . It encompasses an expansive area, with one turnpike exit on the near border of Richland, and another turnpike exit bordering Pine. Pine is probably closer to more of the major Pittsburgh interchanges (I79 & I279). There is much new construction with homes generally being built in the $500,000+ range, and the taxes are higher than Butler County. The middle school in this district seems to be recognized frequently for its academic and community achievements. And yes, Jackie Evanko (America's Got Talent semi-finalist) attends one of the elementary schools there.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:36 PM

353 posts, read 1,729,251 times
Jackie Evanko attends Eden Hall Upper Elementary - she'll be in fifth grade this year (she's in my grandson's class) Pine-Richland is an affluent area - Pine being more affluent that Richland.
The school district is excellent. The commute to downtown Pittsburgh from I-279 or Route 28 is about 20 to 30 minutes however, Route 28 will be under construction for the next few years. (not a problem because you can catch I-279 from McKnight Rd and the commute is still about 20-30 minutes.) There is a ton of new construction both in Pine and Richland Townships. Everything you could possibly want or need is being built in the Pine and Cranberry (South Butler County) area. I've been in the area for a long time - it's a great place to live and raise kids!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:45 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
I love driving by that 11 Million dollar football stadium. Builds character for at least 60 students.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,544 times
Pine Richland and Shadyside are the top new areas. All I have heard are good things about the Pine Richland School District. Another poster mentioned the North Allegheny School District. I have only heard bad things about North Allegheny.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Pine Richland and Shadyside are the top new areas.
Shadyside "new"???

Old 08-13-2010, 03:32 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Shadyside "new"???
New as in the "it" place to live.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:46 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Pine Richland and Shadyside are the top new areas. All I have heard are good things about the Pine Richland School District. Another poster mentioned the North Allegheny School District. I have only heard bad things about North Allegheny.

North Allegheny Senior High School
The high school ranked 4th out of 123 western Pennsylvania high schools, by the Pittsburgh Business Times in 2009, for academic achievement as reflected by three years of 11th grade results on: math, reading, writing and one year of science PSSAs.[2]
In 2009, US News and World Report ranked 21,000 public high schools, in the United States, based on three factors. First, the schools were analyzed for the number of students who achieved above the state average on the reading and math tests in 2008. Then they considered how the economically disadvantaged students performed against the state average. Finally, they considered the participation rate and the performance of students in college readiness by examining Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate test data. Seventy Pennsylvania high schools achieved ranking bronze, silver or gold rating. Fifty three Pennsylvania high schools achieved bronze.[3] North Allegheny Senior High School achieved Silver ranking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh