Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 04:12 PM

9 posts, read 14,735 times

Advertisements

A few months back I started a thread with a question about whether or not Pittsburgh could potentially a good place to which our family can one day relocate. A number of you provided us with excellent insight about the area, and I really appreciate the information that you provided. That thread can be found here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...-so-where.html

As stated in the above discussion, my wife and I are a mid-30s African-American couple with a son who is almost 2 and a new child on the way. She is a physician, and I am an MBA mainly working in corporate strategy. We are considering Pittsburgh b/c our families are in Columbus OH and Washington DC. Pittsburgh's location makes it an ideal midpoint for us.

My wife and I are currently visiting family in Ohio, so we have decided to make a 2-day trip to Pittsburgh. We will be coming into town tomorrow morning and leaving on Tuesday. We are probably going to stay in Shadyside, as the hotels downtown are more expensive than we are interested in paying for a quick visit.

We are planning to see Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, and downtown, but would also like to see what other areas we should check out while we are there. In general, we are trying to get a "feel" for the place, so would like to get some quick ideas on maybe things we should check out, places we should eat, etc. We recognize that it is impossible to walk away with alot of information from such a short trip, but at this point we are just in the assessment stage.

Any insight you all can provide that would make the trip informative is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 05:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,038,829 times
Definitely make sure to walk around a lot if the weather is at all nice. Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, and Downtown are all very walkable. Oakland is also worth a visit. The Strip in the morning and the South Side at night give you two very different looks into Pittsburgh. Up an incline for the views on Mt Washington is a great experience. There are a lot more possibilties, but in the time you have there is only so much you can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh