Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:16 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,503,759 times

Advertisements

FiOS is currently installing in my neighborhood as we speak. I hope I can switch because sneaky Comcast locked me into a contract that I didn't know about while they also lied to me about the channels I'd be getting, and many other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 PM

540 posts, read 870,457 times
We've had Verizon FiOS (internet and phone) at our house since moving in two years ago and have never had any technical support issues. Prior to that we rented a house in Point Breeze where the owners had Comcast services (internet and TV). At that time I was working from home and my company had a voice-over-IP phone system. The Comcast internet service lost signal at random times, causing dropped calls on my IP phone and loss of network connectivity to my computer. Several calls to Comcast failed to result in a solution (or even an acknowledgment of the problem in one case). I only worked from home for a couple of months after moving to the house with FiOS, but I never experienced any similar service interruption. For TV we have Directv. Verizon does not advertise it much (or not at all in areas that can get FiOS TV), but you can bundle FiOS with your Directv service, receive one bill from Verizon for both, and save a few dollars a month with the bundle.

Last edited by trotter_rej; 07-27-2010 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-27-2010, 01:55 PM

6 posts, read 14,532 times
I have Verizon FiOS, LOVE IT! I work from home 5 days a week and hated using Comcast, I would have frequent issues and it was interferring with my work to a point where I had to get an aircard so my work would be uninterrupted. Comcast's cable TV would always be screwy, I hated it so much. Now that I have FiOS, everything has been smooth sailing. I've had it for 2 months now, no complaints. I love especially how I can play sudoku on the TV

Old 07-27-2010, 01:56 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,096,816 times
I can't say I've had great customer service from either company, but we've definitely had less reasons to need customer service with FiOS.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:33 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,935,390 times
You'll need to check whether you can get FIOS in Shadyside. It wasn't available as of May 1, 2010. I'm glad it wasn't available, as I would rather walk on my elbows through ground glass than deal with Verizon's customer "service," whereas I've never had a problem with Comcast.

Whichever you choose, find out how long a contract you're signing up for. I think they both have penalties if you quit before your contract is up. Verizon does, I know.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:23 PM

142 posts, read 269,937 times
Thanks a lot for all the replies! It doesn't seem like there is a good answer..I'm going to try and get Verizon Fios if its available in Shadyside, otherwise go with Comcast. In either case, I will be praying that I never need to use customer service.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 PM

Okay, this is odd. I keep trying to call Verizon and keep getting redirected to something called 'Frontier Communications', where no one picks up the phone. And this when trying to order a new service!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:25 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,785,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesque View Post
Okay, this is odd. I keep trying to call Verizon and keep getting redirected to something called 'Frontier Communications', where no one picks up the phone. And this when trying to order a new service!
Verizon sold a few FiOS markets to Frontier, but not in the state of PA. You must currently be in one of those states and it's directing you there based on your area code or something. Do you have an address in Pittsburgh yet? YOu can go to Verizon.com and check to see if service is available at your new home.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:13 PM

Wow. Sorry for the quick updates, but I will NOT be ordering from Verizon.

I called them trying to get information on when FIOS might be available in my area and to see if they have some international channels that I wanted. The 1800 number kept redirecting me, so I ended up live-chatting with a rep. He told me I would have to finalize my order before he would even tell me how much the additional International channels would cost

You will have to call, but I can't give you the phone number until you order. Go ahead and place your order NOW.

It was ridiculous! This, even before I am a paying customer. Its a good thing in a way because they have ensured that I will never be a paying customer at Verizon.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,726,157 times
Did you call from a WV phone? Verizon just sold off their properties in WV to Frontier. Was finalized as of the beginning of July.

It's funny, I had been hoping for FiOS to come out here ever since I heard about it, and I'd still be open to trying it, but I find it odd that a couple of my colleagues have decided to switch back. Also my boss has FiOS internet but Comcast TV. At first this was just a timing thing; when his house was built the FiOS was wired, and they offered the internet service, but Verizon couldn't yet sell TV service. Later they could, but he hasn't switched. There is a quirk of the in-house division of the network and cable wiring that keeps him from switching as well. I've heard varying opinions on whose HD picture is better, actually (and the boss would be a stickler for picture quality). Generally I've heard it's Comcast that's better, but that's not what people here on the forum are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: