Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:59 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

We have a laptop that isn't charging properly, and we are pretty sure the problem is that the socket for the charging cord is loose/damaged. Any suggestions on where to take it? Downtown or the East End would be preferable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
man, is there a bestbuy nearby?? i've had a couple successful encounters with their "geek squad"...bout all i got for you, good luck!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Unless it's under 3 years old and high end I'd say junk it. I doubt there's a fix that will run less than $100 (unless it happens to be the cord and not the battery or something internal).

I suspect you'll pay at least $50 and probably more just for someone to check that it's not the battery and not the power cord. Dunno. If you're saying it works when plugged in but doesn't charge, that sounds more like a battery issue to me, though it is possible I suppose for the charging circuit alone to be damaged somehow. (The other reason that could happen is if your power adapter does not put out enough power, either because it's not the original one or because it's bad.)

Here's a shop that's in Squirrel Hill: Kevin's Computer and Photo No experience, just Google. I keep trying to remember where there's a shop. I want to say I've seen a shop in East Liberty by Trader Joe's, but I can't be sure.

I can't think of any downtown, except MacOutfitters, which I'm assuming does not fit this scenario.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Yeah, if we call around and can't get a cheap fix, we might have to junk it (it is a bottom-of-the-line Compaq from three years ago, so nothing special).

It will sometimes charge for a while if you wiggle the cord around just right, but if you move it or bump it or anything, it will stop charging. That suggests to me it is neither the cord nor the battery but the socket, but if no one will open it up and swap out the socket for less than $100, that is probably the end of it.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote from another user from an old thread about custom PCs: "I've had good experience with the one on Carson at South Side Works. I've had horrible experiences at City Computer in Shady Side, and a mediocre experience at Kevin's Computer and Photo in Squirrel Hill." That was probably more about buying, but still, that gives you an idea of how the shop runs.

Are you sure that fiddling you're doing is not compensating for the end of the cord? That part of the cord often gets strained and goes bad. Would present the same way, effectively, and wiggling and making sure you didn't touch it would solve the problem. What you might consider doing is buying a power adapter, expressly confirming you can return it if it doesn't help. Most places should take a power adapter back for return, I would think. Safe to rule out the battery as an issue, I suspect.

If it's not the cord, it's probably the circuitry where the socket connects (not so much the socket itself). This is also a strain issue if you trip over the cord a lot or stretch it to the limit. On some laptops, this circuitry with the plug is a separate component that could be replaced. In others, it is not. Either way, for a cheapie unit that you may well be looking for an excuse to dump anyway, it may not seem worth it.

I can't say I have a lot of experience with the pricing of indie repairs, though, so I could be wrong about how much. If the machine is not too difficult to take apart, and the part is separate, perhaps my $100 remark is pessimistic. The trouble is, you don't generally get free diagnosis. While that may not seem to matter here with pretty good self-diagnosis, it may take someone opening the laptop to learn that "Ah, I can't actually replace that part without replacing the whole motherboard" or something to that effect. In that case you'd likely end up out money with no reasonable repair at all.

How about some nice black tape for a few bucks?

Old 06-29-2010, 12:06 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Quote from another user from an old thread about custom PCs: "I've had good experience with the one on Carson at South Side Works. I've had horrible experiences at City Computer in Shady Side, and a mediocre experience at Kevin's Computer and Photo in Squirrel Hill."
I thought that quote sounded familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I've had good experience with the one on Carson at South Side Works. I've had horrible experiences at City Computer in Shady Side, and a mediocre experience at Kevin's Computer and Photo in Squirrel Hill.
I haven't used any of those places for repairs. I've heard that Atlas Audio on Liberty Ave. in bloomfield will replace the power jack itself, rather than the entire motherboard. Pittsburgh Laptop Repair Pittsburgh PA laptop repair, PC repair, free estimates when shipped in and flat rate service

Looks like they offer free estimates, too.

(BTW, the service at City Computer was atrocious, I'd suggest taking a PC repair course at CCAC before setting foot in there! )

Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 PM

780 posts, read 1,384,950 times
Download everything off of it and upgrade. 3 yrs old and with the price of lap tops these days, you'll be ahead in the end. After everything is downloaded and a new comp. purchased, I'd try to fix the old one yourself. You may just surprise yourself.

Or, if you can't fix it, you can just shoot it with a paintball gun! :-)

Old 06-29-2010, 01:02 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Even 3 years old and broken, it's still worth some money if you decide to get rid of it. You could probalby get at least 50 bucks on craigslist, and more if you sell the individual parts on ebay.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I thought that quote sounded familiar.

I haven't used any of those places for repairs. I've heard that Atlas Audio on Liberty Ave. in bloomfield will replace the power jack itself, rather than the entire motherboard. Pittsburgh Laptop Repair Pittsburgh PA laptop repair, PC repair, free estimates when shipped in and flat rate service
Someone needs to help those guys come up in a search for computer repair. It doesn't even come up on the first page for "Pittsburgh laptop repair" even though that is their domain name! Sounds like a good bet though.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:21 PM

That sounds like the place to try--thanks!

Some random comments:

We also tried a compatible adapter and it didn't help. It wasn't an OEM adapter so you never know, but I strongly suspect it is indeed the wiring to the socket.

I know we should probably just get another laptop, but we just bought a new computer (a HTPC), and we like to spread out our computer purchases so we always have one that isn't too old without having to replace all of them in every cycle. Add in the inconvenience of moving around files and such, and if we can get this one fixed for under $100 it will be worth it to us.

Edit: Oh, and I used to be a wiz with a soldering iron. My concern is getting the right diagnosis, but if the place above doesn't work out I may well open the thing up and see if I think I can try a fix myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh