Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 03:15 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,420,252 times

Advertisements

I know I've done it before but everything I'm doing now is not working

I need to copy pictures to my computer that were sent to me via email in albums from Walgreens and Shutterfly.

Everyone took pictures at my sons wedding and I'm trying to put them all together on my computer so I just have one folder.

Also, can I make them all smaller in size?

Thank you

Last edited by Bella52; 11-11-2009 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: sorry, forgot to mention they were sent to me through email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
you need a scanner. 2nd best is a good digital camera and a card reader. SD chi is a now a default.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the reply Huck but I forgot to mention the albums were sent to me through email. I don't have the printed pictures. I have to open the albums through the websites.

I do have a digital camera and a card reader but I didn't take the photos

Old 11-11-2009, 03:45 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,667,263 times
You need a basic knowledge of file copy. A picture is just another file. First step is to create a folder called "Wedding" in the My Documents folder. Save the pictures from the emails to that folder. As for sizing don't down size anything you may want to print later as you can't make it bigger again without losing quality. If they were emailed they are not that big. After you have them in a folder the burn them to a couple of CD's. One CD can go bad so a double back up is a safety measure. HTH.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:55 PM

Nomad. Thanks! I did create a folder already but the problem I'm having is that I have to go to the sites "Shutterfly and Walgreens" to view the photos. When I'm in the websites and try to copy the photos to my folder it doesn't work. I think I just might ask them to email me the photos and I then I know how to save them from that.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:05 PM

55 posts, read 163,481 times
I don't think you can copy or download pictures from Shutterfly. I believe the only way you can get pictures off Shutterfly is to order a CD from them. I've never checked out Walmart's service, don't know about them.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:19 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
I know I've done it before but everything I'm doing now is not working

I need to copy pictures to my computer that were sent to me via email in albums from Walgreens and Shutterfly.

Everyone took pictures at my sons wedding and I'm trying to put them all together on my computer so I just have one folder.

Also, can I make them all smaller in size?

Thank you
If the picture is attached to your e-mail you can normally right click on the picture and then "save as".

If you got the URL (just the address) of the picture in e-mail them you might have to double click on the url and then view the image which is on line, select it, and download it.

I believe with Shutterfly you are required to pay to then download the picture. Walgreens is different but as I recall you need to logon with a name and password to get access.

But in both cases, the e-mail does not contain the actual photo if the e-mail came from from Walgreens and Shutterfly.

Ask the people who are trying to send the photo's to you if they can just e-mail the actual photo to you instead.

I have used Walgreens and Shutterfly (and some others) in the past.

Rich

Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,661 times
I was hoping you would have found the answer. I am having the exact dilema.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,839,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoff23 View Post
I was hoping you would have found the answer. I am having the exact dilema.
Not sure if these albums allow you to download the pictures to your computer. If they do, simply do that, while specifying the folder where you want them downloaded. Since I don't use these services, it is hard to tell without actually knowing how these albums are presented. You may have an option to do the entire album, or go one photo at a time.

If there is no download option, and you have access to full size pictures (not downsized ones, although you can get those as well but you should be getting your full size pictures), in any case the following will work. Right click on the picture, select, "save as" and point at the right folder. Unfortunately, you may be able to do this only one photo at a time.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
NWhen I'm in the websites and try to copy the photos to my folder it doesn't work.
There's various tricks that are used to stop people from copying images and I'd imagine a photo site that wants to prevent copying is going to employ most of them. For example a very simple and unobtrusive method uses CSS which is used to format web pages. You set the image as a background and then overlay it with a transparent .gif , when the user right clicks and saves the image they save the transparent .gif. It's easily circumvented but your average person is going to be hopelessly lost unless they investigate it and very confused when they open the image and there is nothing viewable. Ultimately there is no way to prevent copying an image if the person trying to copy them is knowledgeable or persistent but using a method like the one I described you're going to stop most of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography