Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 AM

8,967 posts, read 20,395,429 times

Advertisements

Have had this Panasonic DMC-FZ30K Lumix 8mp Digital (w/12x Optical Zoom) since December 2005. It was on sale for $699. At the same, bought a 55MM UV Multi-Coat protector for the lens.
For 98% of the time, have only used the "automatic" features of this camera, including "auto focus". Have two 3-legged tripods and a single leg one that I have used, but not enough! Now that I'm taking a much closer look at many of the photos I've taken with it and using the "automatic" features doesn't necessarily seem to be giving me a "best shot". Have been to a few websites about digital cameras, but wanted some suggestions from you folks as well. I've seen a lot of extremely nice/sharp photos on this forum!
Any suggestions/comments would truely be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 AM

157 posts, read 422,424 times
"automatic" will not get you much.
One of the most important aspect of photography is light and how to adjust your camera for the time you are taking that shot. You need to adjust white balance, aperture, shutter speed and so on.
Some photos that you have seen it here has been adjusted in Photoshop.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 AM

106,801 posts, read 109,039,935 times
watch your shutter speed, keep it as high as you can without getting iso noise and make sure you have a suitable lens opening where more depth of field is required.... use a tripod for the sharpest photos ..

make sure that uv filter is extremely high quality... i myself never ever use one, ill use a density filter or polarizer if needed but i never just stick another piece of glass in front of the lens to try to protect it..

add sharpening in post processing not in camera so you can control how much on your own

Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,496,765 times
The best possible photo is the one you see with your eyes before even turning on the camera. All the technical perfection of the latest DSLR means nothing without it.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:17 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,047,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The best possible photo is the one you see with your eyes before even turning on the camera. All the technical perfection of the latest DSLR means nothing without it.
+1.

It's not the camera that makes the picture but the photographer who is able identify that moment in time and knows how to frame it for others to enjoy as well.

I'd suggest starting with the owner's manual. Understand what information is being presented to you in the viewfinder or on-screen. Get a solid sense of what each of the icons and numbers mean relative to what you are seeing in the viewfinder.
Next, learn how you focus your camera. In particular you want to understand how your camera focuses and where the focus points are that you "see" in your viewfinder or on the screen. The primary focus point is going to drive the focusing of the rest of the image for most cameras.
Tack sharp focus is what sets photos apart from one another. This is especially true if you are photographing birds, plants, or insects.

Finally, learn about and understand how to set shutter speed, aperture, white balance and the ISO on the camera. These four bits of information become the most critical when you are shooting in manual mode because they will soften or harden the image that you ultimately capture.

Once you have good sense of which dials need to be turned and where to look either in the viewfinder or on the camera body itself for information about what the camera "sees," then begin to experiment with "local" settings like your backyard, along streets, in local gardens, etc. to get the hang of these aspects of manual control. The beauty of digital is you can take many, many more pictures and work through them in post-processing to see you can become better.

Although I don't know your budget, I would suggest that you look at a quality photo-editing software package like Adobe Lightroom to work with the photos you take. Photoshop is okay, but it is geared more for photo manipulation and image design than just processing.

You have a monopod which works well for photographs you can take during walks through large gardens and nature preserves. It is also exceptionally good when taking pictures of sporting events. The tripods work well for long exposure times, especially for shots of the sky at night or when you need to control camera shake, for example, when shooting lightning. Use them often so you become comfortable with them, just as you do with the camera.

Ultimately, the more time you spend behind the camera, using it, the more you will learn how to use it to capture the image you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography