Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 12:25 PM

276 posts, read 1,458,699 times

Advertisements

I realize I had no idea what I was getting into when I purchased this program. I read the reviews, and thought it was a great way to save, organize, and edit my photos. I have almost 4,000 photos online and some are folders within folders on a microsoft program that came with my computer. I was very frustrated with this microsoft program and the recommendations for photoshop sounded great.

HOWEVER, I did not understand that photos cannot be stored on photoshop as raw data. So after a few hours of organizing my photos on photoshop, I try to upload them onto mpix to make some prints. Can't do it. I can only retrieve the photos from my old microsoft program - and with the sucky organization I can't find anything! Photoshop automatically sends you to their kodak program to make prints - but my experience with kodak prints has been terrible so I did not want to use them. My husband insists that photoshop is an expensive gimmick to get people to buy prints off of the kodak site. But it sounds like tons of peeople are happy with photoshop.

So I guess my question is - am I missing something? Am I making this whole thing more complicated than it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 12:40 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
For organizing, storing, resizing for e-mail, printing and uploading from your camera, it's hard to beat this program, and best of all it's free. Picasa2 Free Download - Picasa2 - Google Photosoftware Picasa 2

Old 02-11-2008, 12:42 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
I use PSE a lot and I love it.

I'm trying to understand exactly what problem you are having.

You said you have over 4000 photos 'online' so I am assuming that you mean just that and they are uploaded to some storage service not on your local machine. Is that true?

If so, then the first thing you'll need to do is get a real file on your harddrive to upload to the photo print service.

If that's not true, then I need you to clarify a bit more for me.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:45 PM

515 posts, read 1,832,617 times
If your on a budget and don't want to spend any $$ Go to Picasa and download their software. Its free and a good organizer. I used it for a couple of years before I started getting more involved in photography. From what I read in your post this can help you out.

If your not on a budget and want to take it up to the next level, I recommend Adobe Lightroom. You can download a free trial at the adobe website. The other program is Adobe Bridge. It comes with Photoshop CS3 I'm not sure of how to obtain it any other way, so if someone else knows please say so.

Hope that helps

Looks like Sanspeur beat me to it. Follow their link, its more updated!!!

Last edited by Matt Angry; 02-11-2008 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Beat to the punch

Old 02-11-2008, 03:38 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
If your not on a budget and want to take it up to the next level, I recommend Adobe Lightroom. You can download a free trial at the adobe website. The other program is Adobe Bridge. It comes with Photoshop CS3 I'm not sure of how to obtain it any other way, so if someone else knows please say so.!!
I think you can only obtain Adobe Bridge if you buy one of the Creative Suite packages. I have Bridge as it was part of my Creative Suite 3 package. The OP really should consider lightroom since she's working with 4000 photos. Lightroom actually has a bit more RAW functionality than Bridge/Photoshop.

Lightroom is definately the way to go for you if youre willing to spend $279. You can also upgrade to Photoshop CS3 for $549. Actually, after rereading your post, I think you would be better served with Lightroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography