Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,075 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,532,721 times
Unknown Name.. size of a dime. Pentax Optio W90 12mp P&S

Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
Default Night blooming cereus

I am much better at gardening than I am at photography, so please don't judge me on my photography skills! This is a night blooming cereus that I grow. These flowers are about the size of a dinner plate. From bud to bloom takes about 26 days. It blooms at night after dark and then is gone (totally wilted) by the next morning. A magical flower with a hauntingly beautiful scent.
Attached Thumbnails
Flowers-p1010008.jpg  

Old 03-15-2011, 06:21 PM

963 posts, read 2,302,790 times
http://stylepeterson.com/flowers/beautiful-flowers-2.jpg (broken link)

Here is a shot I captured back in 2006 with my first dslr, a 3 megapixel Canon D30. I love to manipulate the background blur so that it becomes an artistic part of the composition. One trick I've used is to use a close-up attachment lens (diopter). They are pretty inexpensive. They both allow you to shoot closer to the subject and shorten the depth of field, giving that beautiful pillowy-soft background blur. In this image, I used an inexpensive old Sigma 28-135mm lens with a pretty cheap screw-on close-up lens.

I can't wait for the spring. With all that snow dumped on us, this should be a great spring for flower photos.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:02 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Okay, most of the photos on this thread look like professional stuff, but with the caveat that I'm a beginner, I'll post a pic I took just before sunset this evening. It wasn't very bright out, but I lay down on the ground to get several pics of my snowdrops in bloom. They are only about 3" tall. En masse, they create a sea of white at the back of my yard ~ true harbingers of spring!

Here's another shot.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Okay, most of the photos on this thread look like professional stuff, but with the caveat that I'm a beginner, I'll post a pic I took just before sunset this evening. It wasn't very bright out, but I lay down on the ground to get several pics of my snowdrops in bloom. They are only about 3" tall. En masse, they create a sea of white at the back of my yard ~ true harbingers of spring!

Here's another shot.
Nice

Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Nice
Gee........thanks!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 PM

963 posts, read 2,302,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Nice shots! We're all doing this because we enjoy it so beginners are certainly welcome! The fact that you were willing to lay down to get these shots is a good sign. It means that you are willing to do the hard work of getting the best composition. Good flower photography can't be done without getting your clothes dirty. You will progress quickly since you're not afraid to step out of your comfort zone to get the shots you want!

May a make a suggestion? The second shot holds alot of promise because there is a stronger center of interest. Try to compose so that the eye is drawn to a strong single subject rather than a bunch of flowers. If your camera focuses closer, get it as close as you can to your subject. It will blur the background more, eliminating distracting elements.

Here is a sample of what I mean (see below). Notice how 1 tulip is in sharp focus while the rest are blurred? If you are using a DSLR, you can buy a very cheap set of screw-on close-up lens adapters (make sure you get the right size for your camera lens) that allow you to focus much closer to a single flower. It will also reduce the depth-of-field, giving you a nice blurred background. Hope this helps and keep submitting your pics!

http://stylepeterson.com/flowers/tulip-22.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
May a make a suggestion? The second shot holds alot of promise because there is a stronger center of interest. Try to compose so that the eye is drawn to a strong single subject rather than a bunch of flowers. If your camera focuses closer, get it as close as you can to your subject. It will blur the background more, eliminating distracting elements.
Thanks for the tip, Design. That's what I was going for, but the pic you see is the closest zoom I could get. This spring I expect to have more time to mess with the new DSLR, actually read the owner's manual (ha ha) and check out the software that came with it. This was just a point and shoot with an automatic setting. I appreciate your input!

Here is a sample of what I mean (see below). Notice how 1 tulip is in sharp focus while the rest are blurred? If you are using a DSLR, you can buy a very cheap set of screw-on close-up lens adapters (make sure you get the right size for your camera lens) that allow you to focus much closer to a single flower. It will also reduce the depth-of-field, giving you a nice blurred background. Hope this helps and keep submitting your pics!

[/quote]

Is the screw-on close-up lens adapter to be used instead of an expensive macro lens? I would've loved to get the macro lens, but it was outside my budget. I'll have to check out the adaptors.

I did try a couple of shots, just for the heck of it, with the "portrait" setting, and expected a blurred background, but I couldn't tell much of a difference between that and the regular setting or the macro setting.

I can't wait to work with the camera when I have more time. I have long work days and commute time, so I don't have much free time. Hopefully, soon.......!

Old 03-17-2011, 02:59 PM

Okay, Design7......here are a few I took just a short while ago.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography