Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:58 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times

Advertisements

Ok I looked at a couple of threads before starting this new one, seeing there are new models constantly coming out and everybody's needs are different.

My daughter's point and shoot died so she emailed me wanting to know which one she should buy, she has a digital SLR but needs something small to slip into her pocket or purse for weddings or just on the go.

These are her requirements

" I'd like for it to be compact, can fit in my pocket. I also want it to take videos and I really like the wi-fi capabilities. Also, a faster shutter speed. This is really to be used when I attend weddings or events or just want a camera for the "just in case" moments. My phone takes nice pics but really is limited and the shutter speed is ridiculously slow so i can't get away with using it. It doesn't have to take the best pictures since I would use the other camera in those instances."

At first I was suggesting the better ones that were $300. and up but she really would like to get away with something a lot less expensive that takes halfway decent pictures, I know the main problem I have notice with P&S is shutter lag, tell me there are P&S available today somewhere between say $100 to $200that don't have shutter lag can do video, wifi is nice but I don't believe it is a deal breaker but would be nice to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Here's a list of compact cameras with built-in wifi and video: Camera feature search: Digital Photography Review

You don't mention what kind of zoom she's looking for but you can narrow down the options by that or other features, except for price, unfortunately. Once you've narrowed it down a bit more, I recommend reading reviews at Digital Cameras - Over 500 digital cameras reviews! which often specify the shutter lag times under the "performance" tab. For example, one of the cameras on the list is the Canon Powershot S110 which is reviewed on Imaging-Resource here: Canon S110 Review - Performance - with lag times ranging from around 0.484 of a second to 0.667.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Ok I looked at a couple of threads before starting this new one, seeing there are new models constantly coming out and everybody's needs are different.

My daughter's point and shoot died so she emailed me wanting to know which one she should buy, she has a digital SLR but needs something small to slip into her pocket or purse for weddings or just on the go.

These are her requirements

" I'd like for it to be compact, can fit in my pocket. I also want it to take videos and I really like the wi-fi capabilities. Also, a faster shutter speed. This is really to be used when I attend weddings or events or just want a camera for the "just in case" moments. My phone takes nice pics but really is limited and the shutter speed is ridiculously slow so i can't get away with using it. It doesn't have to take the best pictures since I would use the other camera in those instances."

At first I was suggesting the better ones that were $300. and up but she really would like to get away with something a lot less expensive that takes halfway decent pictures, I know the main problem I have notice with P&S is shutter lag, tell me there are P&S available today somewhere between say $100 to $200that don't have shutter lag can do video, wifi is nice but I don't believe it is a deal breaker but would be nice to have.
Check out the Casio Exelim ZR200. I think it will be right up her alley and will deliver a lot of functionality that she would not expect in a ~$200 camera. I would describe it as an "enthusiast's P&S"

I have the ZR100. It takes the best pictures of any point and shoot I've ever owned, excellent 1080i video capability with rudimentary shutter speed controls (in other words, you can easily turn the "Saving Private Ryan effect" on or off while filming), it can record video at speeds up to 1000 frames per second and just generally has a lot of cool features that I'm neglecting to mention.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:32 PM

She is not really looking for much of a zoom seeing it will be mostly for weddings, some quick pics with friends or the dog etc. For serious picture taking she has a canon 70-300 lens for her real camera.
I will have to check out the Casio it sounds good, is there much shutter lag .
The Canon ELPH 330 for $200 looks like it may be worth a look I don't know if anyone here has one. Costco has a lot on cameras especially online I had just emailed her and suggested she order from Costco , they have a 90 day return policy on cameras so she can return it if it doesn't meet her expectations although I am sure she rather get it right the first time so she does not have to return it.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
She is not really looking for much of a zoom seeing it will be mostly for weddings, some quick pics with friends or the dog etc. For serious picture taking she has a canon 70-300 lens for her real camera.
The Canon ELPH 330 for $200 looks like it may be worth a look I don't know if anyone here has one. Costco has a lot on cameras especially online I had just emailed her and suggested she order from Costco , they have a 90 day return policy on cameras so she can return it if it doesn't meet her expectations although I am sure she rather get it right the first time so she does not have to return it.
The Casio enables the user to be very candid and will snap singles @ 30 frames per second. Very high shutter speed, no lag

Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Always check prices at B&H Photo Video before you order. In my experience they have always beaten the best price I could find. Be aware that they will often hide the real price until you reach the checkout screen, so don't buzz off too quickly.

B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders

I would caution you that the ELPH is going to be about half the camera that the Casio is for about $20 less.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
dpreview.com had reviews and example shots for almost every camera. And on behalf of wedding photographers everywhere I would like to thank you daughter for not bringing her dslr to weddings. I really hate it when people come as guests and want to play photographer and get in my way.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 AM

So far the Sony Cyber-shot Digital Camera WX80 at $169. and the Canon ELPH 330 for $200 are leading the pack, my daughter liked the idea of buying at Costco for the easy return, although they do not carry the Sony only the Canon.
She wants to keep the price under $200. for a pull the camera out of the pocket for quick candid or spare of the moment picture taking of something interesting that comes up during her daily routine , like I mention she has a digital SLR with a couple of lenses for more serious shooting.
Most of the Nikons in the 200 and under seem to be getting just so so reviews.
Those Casios I do no believe offer wifi a feature she is interested in, those models have been replace with newer models(400 and 700) there seems to be no reviews just previews and I'm not sure they are wifi.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
So far the Sony Cyber-shot Digital Camera WX80 at $169. and the Canon ELPH 330 for $200 are leading the pack, my daughter liked the idea of buying at Costco for the easy return, although they do not carry the Sony only the Canon.
She wants to keep the price under $200. for a pull the camera out of the pocket for quick candid or spare of the moment picture taking of something interesting that comes up during her daily routine , like I mention she has a digital SLR with a couple of lenses for more serious shooting.
Most of the Nikons in the 200 and under seem to be getting just so so reviews.
Those Casios I do no believe offer wifi a feature she is interested in, those models have been replace with newer models(400 and 700) there seems to be no reviews just previews and I'm not sure they are wifi.
We have been fans of buying through Amazon for several years now. (We have also been COSTCO members for over 15 years).

Take a look at the two cameras and reviews here at Amazon, there are plenyu, just for an idea:
Amazon.com: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX50 16.2 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 2.7-inch LCD (Silver) (2012 Model): SONY: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS 12.1 MP Wi-Fi Enabled CMOS Digital Camera with 10x Optical Zoom 24mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p Full HD Video (Silver): CANON: Camera & Photo

Old 07-28-2013, 04:32 PM

And the winner is

Canon ELPH 330 HS Digital Camera Bundle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography