Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:25 AM

4,230 posts, read 6,905,580 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Not new to City-Data, but I've never posted in the photography forum before. Hoping to benefit from the knowledge here like I have in other forums

This seems like a good deal for an entry level to me, but what do you think?

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera with Nikon 18-55mm VR Lens + Huge Bundle - Newegg.com

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera with Nikon 18-55mm VR Lens + Huge Bundle

This Kit Includes:

1- Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera
1- Nikon 18-55mm VR Lens
1- Wide Angle Lens
1- Telephoto Lens
1- Filter Kit
1- Hard Tulips Lens Hood
1- 16GB SDHC Memory Card
1- USB SD/HC Memory Card Reader
1- Digital Flash
1- Wireless Remote Control
1- Soft carrying case
1- Full Size Tripod with Carry Bag
1- Pack of LCD Screen Protectors
1- Lens/LCD Cleaning Kit
1- Mini Table Top Tripod

$624.95

I am looking for a nice, entry-level DSLR to be able to capture some decent pictures of projects around the house (so lots of interior shots and this should perform better than the 3200 in slightly lower light it seems like) as well as just general use. We have a 5 year old Nikon point-and-shoot that honestly still is not bad, I was just looking for something newer and considering we already had the point-and-shoot, I was looking at entry-level DSLRs instead of another point and shoot. The price on that package seems pretty reasonable for some of the stuff that is included but I'm trying to make sure. I don't have a good feel for appropriate pricing other than basic body+lens kits.

I do interior design blogging as a hobby. So it is not my job, but I would like to be able to capture the work we are doing on our house for "after" shots as kind of portfolio pieces for the blog. Again, it is a hobby so I can't justify expensive but the entry-level DSLRs are within reason for us. Also, I have photoshop, but would it be worth also getting lightroom? Is there enough of a benefit to having that as well as PS CS3? Since I can't justify an expensive lens with tilt shift and such, I may have to stitch some photos together and straighten some perspective. Also I will be looking to do some white balancing in post processing (I am a gear n00b: I have a good eye for interior design and a good eye for framing a shot, but I've only ever had a point and shoot for a camera so there will be a bit of a learning curve with the actual equipment, but I think PS CS3 and possibly lightroom might help clean some things up).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 08:53 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Lightroom is awesome, but if you don't shoot RAW then its a moot point to have it considering that there isn't much to edit when shooting jpegs.

I can't speak about that package because I only buy bodies + L lenses from Canon, and not bundles, so I don't know if the price is good or not.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Lightroom is awesome, but if you don't shoot RAW then its a moot point to have it considering that there isn't much to edit when shooting jpegs.

I can't speak about that package because I only buy bodies + L lenses from Canon, and not bundles, so I don't know if the price is good or not.
Thank you for your response. It sounds like I should maybe skip Lightroom for now and see if I am happy with the JPG files and minor tweaks in Photoshop. If I am not happy with that, then I could also attempt my hand at RAW and Lightroom. No reason to commit to Lightroom now, because I may find the JPG quality is more than adequate for what I am doing. Sound reasonable?

Old 07-13-2013, 09:11 AM

You're welcome.

Also, you already have 1/2 if Lightroom as Camera RAW in CS3. You can open images in Bridge and then open jpegs in camera RAW to see what it would be like to have Lightroom. Obviously Camera RAW is for RAW files, but you can edit jpegs there too.

Last edited by PhotoProIP; 07-13-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Also, you already have 1/2 if Lightroom as Camera RAW in CS3. You can open images in Bridge and then open jpegs in camera RAW to see what it would be like to have Lightroom. Obviously Camera RAW is for RAW files, but you can edit jpegs there too.
Awesome. great tip, thanks!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Jpegs can be adequate coming from a DSLR, your issue is with lighting when shooting interiors because there are usually several light sources in a room e.g. Coffee table lamp, window, light coming from another room, tv, etc all bringing a different hue on furniture so you have to marry them all together to get a good shot. That's he hardest part and unfortunately it has nothing to do with the camera u use.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Awesome. great tip, thanks!
You're welcome.
Check out Jeffrey Jacobs to see what I mean about lighting a space.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:11 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:

Thought I'd ask this question for the OP.

Even if OP shoots in jpeg, would LR be a good choice to be able to batch edit photos?

I know that was one reason I bought LR. I was sick and tired of opening up photos one by one in PS (also, if the OP doesn't have PS, wouldn't LR be a cheaper way to go? You can do a lot of editing in there, or do the files need to be RAW?). Especially when I was starting to learn, shooting lots and had the wrong settings on the camera. So I'd get home and could see that all my photos needed fixing (white balance usually). I was about to rip out my hair processing 50+ photos one by one. I usually would just dump the entire session and chalk it up to stupidity/experience and hope it doesn't happen again.

Would you think that's a valid reason to get, or not get LR? Also, it doesn't need to be for batch editing stupid things like I did, but maybe other things interior photo related? Just throwing it out. LR saved my sanity. Then I just started shooting in RAW to utilize all of LR. LOL.
(I mean, maybe the OP can decide after a few sessions if that's a possibility.)

Old 07-13-2013, 11:20 AM

^ I actually have photoshop CS3 that I got and then I also have Elements as well (someone gave me an extra copy that they never installed). I know between those two that I can do SOME batch editing in there, but I have not ever used that feature to know how much control I actually would have. I'm guessing it is more basic stuff (renaming, resizing, etc.)

Also, after looking into that deal I posted originally, it is a 3rd party sale through Newegg which I try and avoid (I like Newegg but not always 3rd party). I think I may just grab a camera, case, memory card, tripod, and remote shutter control as a starter. Anything I'm missing in terms of just basic necessities? These seem like the things that would be most useful just to get started taking some pics around the house.

I have never had to mess with white balancing photos before at the source. I always just took pictures with a point and shoot and made some adjustments in photoshop later that were good enough. Eventually I guess it will be to my benefit to learn how to white balance at the source versus making adjustments for each photo.

Last edited by Sunbather; 07-13-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Oh good. At least then you're not having to dish out another $500 for PS. Cuz, ouch! I had PS already also, I just found LR to be so much easier. And you can batch edit in PS? I never knew that. I tried to find ways to do it, but couldn't. Duh.

Ooo....3rd party. Yuck. It looks like the kit lens is a good one, so yay on that. Is 18mm wide enough for what you're doing? Not sure what kind of interior shots you want. If so, then I'd buy the kit (the camera/lens, not the Newegg one). Looks like it's about $600 everywhere. Not sure if cost is a big concern or not. I know you can find decent tripods for cheap. Just make sure it can handle your camera's weight (I had a cheap one someone gave to me, it was kinda scary lol).

Quote:
Eventually I guess it will be to my benefit to learn how to white balance at the source versus making adjustments for each photo.
Most definitely. Isn't that why you're getting an "entry level DSLR"? The 5100 will grow with you as you learn.

I did a quick search, thought you might like this bundle
$630: Camera/lens, good card, remote, bag, filter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography