Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,108,777 times

Advertisements

Has to be a photo you scanned from an original, or a photo you took.

Here's mine.

A wedding in Miller South Dakota. Held at the lumber yard. (what a place to have a wedding.) Year, unknown. I have the original 8x10.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,471,639 times
Wow..That sure is old !! I dont think I have any that would even qualify lol

Old 11-01-2007, 08:30 PM

I'm kind of the photo baby in the family. Unbeknowenst to me, they elected me to keep the family photo's. So I have a bunch that are 1890-1910. Bit 8x10 glossy's of my home town. I'm not sure they why they elected me, but they did. So I'm going to hold up the family portraits, even though non of us are in them.

Give it the best you got. I'm sure that all of us will enjoy.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 PM

Look, I don't want to bring out photo's of what I looked like at 1. It's just not right. I could scare the bunch of you. Just thought, old photo's with no names would be nice. haha

Old 11-01-2007, 10:43 PM

295 posts, read 1,214,415 times
Not sure this is the oldest, but it's close. Best guess is it's from some time in the 1880s. It's of my great-great-great grandparents in Germany. I have several from that era, all in a heavy leather album.
Attached Thumbnails
Oldest photo you have-german-ancients-1.jpg  

Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM

Wow!

I have a bunch of photo's that we have no idea who's in them. haha

Typical, I was given the photo's after everybody passed on. And nobody took pen in hand and wrote on the back, who they were.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,753,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Wow!

I have a bunch of photo's that we have no idea who's in them. haha

Typical, I was given the photo's after everybody passed on. And nobody took pen in hand and wrote on the back, who they were.
Just in case this gives anyone the idea to do it (it's a good idea), please use a pencil...

Along the same lines , you should consider getting together with the elders in your family and go through those old pictures, clippings, marriage licenses, etc and have them tell you the names of the people involved. Put the info on or with each item. Scan all items, place them on CDs and send to family members. Also start a video camera or tape recorder and have them tell stories about growing up or stories about the relatives.

Do it before you lose those that know who the people are in the old pictures, and know the stories and family history.

We didn't and it's all lost forever.

Sorry to hijack the thread OP. I'll dig through my pics and see what I can find.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 11-02-2007 at 02:41 PM..

Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,156,356 times
We have some daguerrotypes/tintypes (not sure which they are) from the 1860s. I won't scan them for fear of damaging them.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Just in case this gives anyone the idea to do it (it's a good idea), please use a pencil...

Along the same lines , you should consider getting together with the elders in your family and go through those old pictures, clippings, marriage licenses, etc and have them tell you the names of the people involved. Put the info on or with each item. Scan all items, place them on CDs and send to family members. Also start a video camera or tape recorder and have them tell stories about growing up or stories about the relatives.

Do it before you lose those that know who the people are in the old pictures, and know the stories and family history.

We didn't and it's all lost forever.

Sorry to hijack the thread OP. I'll dig through my pics and see what I can find.

Don't worry, you didn't hijack the thread. This thread is about recolection and if people don't like it, then they don't need to read it. haha

Unfortunately my elders are all gone. I do have some cousins that I've been in contact with to try and straighten out some of these photo's. It's too bad because the first thing they say is "Why did grandma/grandpa send those to you?????? I don't know. But I've scanned them and sent them to all the relatives that I know. I figured they'd keep better as a JPG then a photo stored in the shed. They seem to like the fact that I send them the old photo's but they don't seem obligated to send me back info on them. hahaha

I have one cousin that I'm going to go visit real soon. She's 80 years old. I'm taking my laptop, printer, and scanner when I go see her. She has a lot of family treasures that I'd like to preserve. For instance, my Dad's sister sat down one day and took butcher paper and wrote down everything she could remember. Growing up, schools, neighbors, etc.... She wrote it all out on brown paper that their meat came wrapped in. That's a treasure. Bar none.

But typical, everybody has "treasures" that they want to keep and won't part with. I don't blame them. But I want to scan them and make a big library of my back ground. My brother has hunted our ancestry and has everything back about 5 generations. I want to add the photo's to what he has.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:27 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,313,740 times
If you love old photos, I highly recommend Shorpy - The 100 Year-Old Photo Blog. There are hundreds of photos, and it is updated pretty much on a daily basis. Fascinating stuff - I spent hours there when I first found it.

I normally don't post full-size photos, but part of the appeal of old photos (to me, anyway) is the detail - which would be lost if I shrunk it. So here goes.

My great-grandparents, shortly after they arrived in the US from Sweden.

At one time, my great-grandfather worked as a chauffeur for a wealthy family.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography