Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 PM

733 posts, read 1,757,552 times

Advertisements

So tonight was the Christmas parade. I went to it and took some pictures, then afterwards, we went and took a few pics of light displays. Lets just say, I wasn't too pleased with the way my pictures came out. Then again, I'm not too experienced with night pictures, so they might be decent pictures. I have read several websites and I realize that night photography can be very difficult. I also read many suggestions on how to take good night pictures, but am just curious if you all will have different tips. Maybe all light pictures just look kinda blurry. I recently bought a new point and shoot camera...it's a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H70. I am very pleased with the daytime pictures it produces. I also do not own a tripod. Below are a few of the pictures I took. I am pleased with the way the bottom picture turned out, but that could be because there weren't many lights involved with it. Aside from the pictures below, I had several come out that were very blurry, but that could have been from me messing around a bit with the manual mode.

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt157/gordon_fan_4_life/DSC00331.jpg (broken link)

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt157/gordon_fan_4_life/DSC00330.jpg (broken link)

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt157/gordon_fan_4_life/DSC00312.jpg (broken link)

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt157/gordon_fan_4_life/DSC00310.jpg (broken link)

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt157/gordon_fan_4_life/DSC00309.jpg (broken link)

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt157/gordon_fan_4_life/DSC00318.jpg (broken link)

Again, I'm not too experienced with night pictures, so these could be decent. But to me, they look kinda...blah? Any tips on possible ways to improve the outcome of night pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:55 PM

13,231 posts, read 21,851,077 times
You need to use a tripod. The reason the last one is sharper is because it's a 1/25s shutter speed. All the other ones are around 1/8s to 1/4s, which is too slow for hand-holding.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:14 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,756,103 times
Definitely get a tripod if you plan to do it more often. Also, if you don't have a remote for your camera you can use the timer to avoid moving it when you press the shutter, which can happen even on a tripod. If you don't have a tripod handy, you can still get by if you are able to find something solid to set the camera upon. I don't like to carry around my tripod most of the time, and I've successfully gotten some slow shutter speed pictures by rest my camera on a fence, post, stair railing, etc. If the object is sturdy enough, you may not even need to worry with the timer. And sometimes I can make do just by bracing myself against a wall and being extra careful. But if I'm using my tripod, I always use the timer.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:48 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,661,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
Any tips on possible ways to improve the outcome of night pictures would be greatly appreciated.
The number one recommendation would be a tripod, and for this even a cheap one would make a big difference. Set the camera up, using manual mode, and trigger the shutter with the self timer to avoid rattling everything with your touch. Take lots of shots, and change the shutter speed or aperture a little each time.

It's hard to decide which exposure is right because light sources tend to be very bright compared to everything else that is reflecting light. Hence if you reduce the exposure to get a nice looking string of Christmas lights, everything around it is nearly black, but if the interesting surroundings are exposed bright enough to show up the lights are clipped highlights that aren't as good as they could be.

There are at least two "easy" solutions to that. One is to pick exactly the right time of the evening, just as the natural light matches the intensity of the light strings. With long twilight times here in the Arctic that's easy to do, but for those on the equator there is about a ten second window! :-) The same effect can be had with a flash though, so that's probably easier. An off camera flash is very nice. Again, it's hard to predict exactly what the results will be, so shoot lots of pictures with many variations.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Use a tripod, or monopod, or some camera support to hold the camera still....

Check your manual to see if there is a night mode.

Rich

Old 11-30-2011, 08:10 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,908,538 times
In addition to a tripod, I recommend a remote shutter release. You can hit that button without having to wait for the timer to kick in. My personal preference is one that operates on radio frequency (RF) as opposed to infrared (IR). The latter requires a line of sight to kick in, the former does not. I can recommend a site if interested, offshore but reliable and inexpensive.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:31 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,752,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
In addition to a tripod, I recommend a remote shutter release. You can hit that button without having to wait for the timer to kick in. My personal preference is one that operates on radio frequency (RF) as opposed to infrared (IR). The latter requires a line of sight to kick in, the former does not. I can recommend a site if interested, offshore but reliable and inexpensive.
I'm interested in what site this is! I have bought from this site for several years now with no problems
http://www.linkdelight.com/lcd-hoods-protectors.html

Old 11-30-2011, 08:35 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,908,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
I'm interested in what site this is! I have bought from this site for several years now with no problems
Camera LCD Screen Protector and Hoods for Nikon Camera Canon Camera and more
I purchased two already from this site:
Gadget Infinity

One was for my Panasonic FZ50 and one now for the Canon T1i. Have not had to change batteries yet after almost 2 years. Takes a while since it is out of HK, but it always comes, and never a problem with billing or customer service.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,845,020 times
I almost confused your camera with Sony H9V which has a feature that would allow you to take those shots better (and handheld). The camera in that case would take six consecutive shots at high ISO and combine them. With H70, using a monopod or tripod would be your best bet.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,752,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I purchased two already from this site:
Gadget Infinity

One was for my Panasonic FZ50 and one now for the Canon T1i. Have not had to change batteries yet after almost 2 years. Takes a while since it is out of HK, but it always comes, and never a problem with billing or customer service.
sorry if you misunderstood...linkdelights sell tons of camera stuff! just compared some items with your site....much more spendy~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography