Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 07:05 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,773 times

Advertisements

If you get your own works printed, which do you prefer?

I find myself loving the look of a matte finish. Maybe because of all the years of getting 4x6 glossy from snapshots I like the different look. I also love the low glare on matte.

Never seen a metallic paper print but ordered two 5 x 7's which should be here in a couple of days.

So, what finish do you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,947,551 times
I agree with you. I prefer Matte. To me, it just looks a lot nicer and you don't have to worry about the fingerprint issue nearly as much! But, I do find that glossy offers a bit more of a dynamic print so for any sharp images, I usually go with that and place it in a frame immediately.

A lot of people love the Metallic prints but I really don't - maybe it is because I take mostly nature and landscaping types of pictures. In one of my photography classes, they mentioned that it is fantastic for portraits.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
I do both, depending on the image and what I want to do with it. Some photos just look better with a matte finish and other just look better with a glossy finish. For some landscapes I really like the metallic papers, but it has to be a fairly bright and colorful image to really benefit IMHO.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:50 AM

6 posts, read 15,186 times
Generally speaking I prefer Matte finishes. Some types of pictures do look better in glossy though. Still life, landscapes, and images where color "pop" is important. Matte is better with people pictures where you don't necessarily want color "pop".

Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,773 times
I forgot to update. I got the Metallics in and wow. One was of a Fall lakescape and the other was two butterflies on flowers. The Lakescape was not that special but still turned out great. The Butterflies omg. I love that depth and pop it has. Almost 3D-ish. Both have that metallic sheen to it when you move it around in light. Now I have a better feel I think for what to put on Metallic papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography