Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:26 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,734,585 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be interesting to see ppls photo galleries and hear about some of their experiences with various hosts. For some it is a love/hate relationship.

Since it's almost the new year I decided to revamp my website which you can see here: landandseaphoto's Photos | SmugMug

I'll also share a little bit of my history with image hosts. This all started for my around 10 years ago with the birth of our first child. I needed a good way to share images with friends and family over the internet as opposed to bloated emails loaded with pictures. So I started with PBase which I liked for a while. Then I ran into limited space issues and tested out a number of other hosts. The most memorable I liked and used were ImageEvent, Zenfolio and SmugMug.

I like SmugMug the best for the greatest design flexibility and support along with all the other features I need like unlimited storage (which I use for my off-site backup) and reasonable prices. Zenfolio comes in close second. I actually almost switched back after I saw they raised the maximum upload size for single image to 24mb. Smugmug was at 12mb for the longest time. And this is very important to me since I use it for off-site backup of original files. So I went to check Smugmug again and sure enough they just upped their size to 24mb as well. You gotta love competition.

I also created my own website using PHP at one point and used a separate web hosting company to host it. But in the end SmugMug was a much better deal considering the reasonable cost for unlimiited storage and a fully maintained infrastructure. They just make it so much easier.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 04:05 PM

106,912 posts, read 109,176,429 times
im not so sure the rules here allow us promoting our personal websites. i know the few times i posted a link i got my behind smacked. popped into take a look and very very nice work...

ill post mine but im not sure this thread will fly.

http://mm-photography.smugmug.com/Other

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-30-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 04:40 PM

Nice shots Mathjak. I really like those car show pictures.

It would seem kind strange that in a photo forum we couldn't discuss photo hosts and show our own photo galleries. Especially since we post images from these sites here every day. So we'll see.

Derek

Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,797,642 times
Mathjak - I like your name !! My Fathers Web Site

Old 12-30-2010, 04:50 PM

106,912 posts, read 109,176,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Nice shots Mathjak. I really like those car show pictures.

It would seem kind strange that in a photo forum we couldn't discuss photo hosts and show our own photo galleries. Especially since we post images from these sites here every day. So we'll see.

Derek
i agree that because of the nature of the subject being able to share photo websites should be allowed .but they have blanket rules about promoting personal websites and may not want to set a precedence by allowing exceptions. lets hope they do....

Old 12-30-2010, 04:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,131,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I also created my own website using PHP at one point and used a separate web hosting company to host it. But in the end SmugMug was a much better deal considering the reasonable cost for unlimiited storage and a fully maintained infrastructure. They just make it so much easier.
Gallery or Coppermine are both free open source PHP based galleries.

Shouldn't be hard to maintain, if you don't go modifying the scripts the usual path to update is simply upload and overwrite old files and point your browser at the database update script. There is a small learning curve here but it's not exactly rocket science either.

You would need a host starting around $6 a month and nearly all will have the features needed to run either of these scripts.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:52 PM

262 posts, read 551,062 times
Very nice pictures, starting my own site too soon

Old 12-30-2010, 05:04 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,928,969 times
Most of these were taken with a little point & shoot. I would like to get a better hosting site with more flexibility. Someday.

These are all photos taken in Alaska by region. Includes some Alaska grocery prices that some find interesting. Check out the Barrow prices next time you find milk too expensive at $2.79/gallon.
Picasa Web Albums - Chilkoot

Old 12-30-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Gallery or Coppermine are both free open source PHP based galleries.

Shouldn't be hard to maintain, if you don't go modifying the scripts the usual path to update is simply upload and overwrite old files and point your browser at the database update script. There is a small learning curve here but it's not exactly rocket science either.

You would need a host starting around $6 a month and nearly all will have the features needed to run either of these scripts.
Yes, I 've been there done that with both coppermine and gallery. I even designed my own custom skin for coppermine. Still I much prefer smugmug when considering the overall feature set available for the price. While you might find hosts that cheap ($6) they are not necessarily unlimited nor reliable. And smugmug cost less than that. I shopped around quite a bit and it is still more affordable to use smugmug. And BTW I'm a software engineer. So I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves and code. But when SM does all the work for you on the backend for an unbeatable price its nice. Then you are free to customize as much as possible. And thats where I prefer to put in my time.

Yet don't get me wrong. I have friends who have their own custom websites. So to each there own. There are definately a lot of options out there for everyone's personal preferences.

Derek

Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,817,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Most of these were taken with a little point & shoot. I would like to get a better hosting site with more flexibility. Someday.

These are all photos taken in Alaska by region. Includes some Alaska grocery prices that some find interesting. Check out the Barrow prices next time you find milk too expensive at $2.79/gallon.
Picasa Web Albums - Chilkoot
that moose picture ,made my day i love moose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography